How to ground yourself...

tcfraz

Distinguished
Oct 19, 2010
I just got my computer parts in and was going to start to put it together... i live in illinois and the air gets dry during this time of year. This is my first build and i didnt buy a static wristband. Ive heard to just touch the inside of your case if its bare metal but idk if mine is. What else could i do to help prevent a discharge.

Thanks

Solution
Don't build on carpet. Work on a nonconductive surface, such as a wood table.

Don't need an antistatic wristband. Just touch anything metal, such as case and you'll be fine.
"Ground" is just something that you can dump a large quantity of charge into and not have much effect, the metal of the case or power supply will work, or a metal water pipe(cold water pipe is preferable as that runs straight into the ground), if you put the power supply in the case first, the case makes a very nice ground, and you can touch any part of it that doesnt look like it has been painted, the screws holding the power supply will work too.

As said above, dont work on carpet, or go walking across carpet while building without regrounding yourself and you will be fine.