Sign in with
Your question

Best motherboard for my setup?

Last response: in Motherboards
November 2, 2011 1:28:40 AM

Long story short... I currently am running an Athlon 64 4100+ CPU on an AM2 motherboard. The chipset on this board is having massive heating issues only after 3 years of use. So I am planing on upgrading from dual core to quad core this Christmas.

I plan to use the P II 955 AM3 CPU. However the question I have for the community is a toughy. I know I will be getting answer across the board. What I plan on doing is buying the quad core cpu (older generation) and in roughly 3/4 years from now upgrade to the standards of today (8-core) still using the same parts just swapping cpu's out.

That said should I purchase an AM3 board, an AM3/AM3+ board, or an AM3+ board to run this CPU? The AM3 option is to buy an older board and upgrade the mobo + the cpu. AM3/AM3+ is to buy an in-between board to run the quad and run the 8-core in 3/4 years (such as 8xx chipsets). Last but not least should I get a current board AM3+ to possibly support something beyond the FX-8xxx line of cpu's?

I won't be running SLI or Crossfire. I'm not worried about DDR4 coming out running with an FX cpu. So that said DDr3 would still be the standard to run both the X4's and FX's. Since the X4's run at 1333MHz and FX's at 1866MHz... I would purchase RAM rated at 1866MHz and downgrade it to 1333MHz.

Basically in a nutshell I want to upgrade my computer from X2 to X4 but be able to upgrade to X8 in the future spending as little as possible. Reason being I can't use a single part from my X2 system as it is all obsolete. No way in heck will I run a quad with DDR2 memory rated at 800MHz to save $10.

Very lengthy post and alot of jubber but trying to answer any possible question that might come up. So what board/option should I do to save me the most $$ in the long run?

More about : motherboard setup

a c 435 V Motherboard
a c 159 à CPUs
November 2, 2011 7:23:54 PM

This http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E168... board is just one example for bulldozer. Choose a newer chipset such as the one on this asrock board. It doesn't have onboard video, but you may not need it. If you don't like asrock, use newegg's advance search option for other am3+ boards. I use amd, but recommend for you an Intel combo with 2500K cpu and z68 board. Bulldozer isn't that much better than the old phenom II's. Newegg has had the 2500k twice as open box for only $133 shipped. If you see this, pounce on it immediately and get the board later. I've never had any problems with newegg open box cpus. They sell out in about one or two minutes.
m
l
Related resources
a c 435 V Motherboard
a c 159 à CPUs
November 2, 2011 8:03:55 PM

Use the "open box" option off newegg's website and save it as a favorite link. Check around 6-8 pm pacific time on Tues, Wed, Thurs, or Friday nights.
m
l
November 3, 2011 3:57:11 AM

blink180heights said:
hey man if you are just having heat issues just buy http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E168... .. trust me upgrading most of the time isn't necessary when only one thing is giving you problems ...

Chipset not cpu lol. Reason the chipset is getting sooo hot is because it's a value board designed to last only a year average.. I got 3 years out of mine 24.7 rig. As we sit I re-seated the chipset with AS5, have a 120mm fan blowing directly on the chipset, and its running at 50C idle. So yeah board is shot just using it until I get a new rig.

Reason I'm doing an upgrade rather than just replacing the mobo is because I'm still running an X2! I always am 1 CPU generation behind when it comes to my builds. For example I was running P4's when intel came out with dual-core, phased out of Intel and got the X2, going to get an X4 because X8 just came out, and when they come out with yet another generation of CPU I'll get the X8. Only way I'll get an 2500k is if I can get one @ the price a user above posted.

On topic: Which non-sli/crossfire board should I get to run the PII 955 and in a few years run the X8 or similar cpu?
m
l
November 3, 2011 4:04:56 AM

o1die said:
Use the "open box" option off newegg's website and save it as a favorite link. Check around 6-8 pm pacific time on Tues, Wed, Thurs, or Friday nights.

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E168...

Hard to believe I can pick the CPU up for so cheap lol. Obviously the 2500k would out-beat the X4 and X8 CPU but at retail its out of my price range. :/ 
m
l
a b V Motherboard
a b à CPUs
November 3, 2011 4:08:51 AM

Since you are thinking about getting a bulldozer class CPU you will need a AM3+ Mobo. The AM3+ socket is backward compatible with AM3 CPU's but AM3 is NOT upward compatible with AM3+. Therefore, any board that is labeled as an AM3/AM3+ board is actually just an AM3+ board. That said, I second what o1die suggested.
m
l
November 3, 2011 4:51:43 AM

Alright so 3 AM3+ boards on the chopping block. Which to choose however is the question lol.

1. ASRock 970 EXTREME3 AM3+ AMD 970 $84.99
2. ASUS M5A97 AM3+ AMD 970 $99.99
3. GIGABYTE GA-970A-UD3 AM3+ AMD 970 $114.99

If you suggest I get the latest chipset than these are my options.

1. GIGABYTE GA-990XA-UD3 AM3+ AMD 990X $139.99
2. GIGABYTE GA-990FXA-UD3 AM3+ AMD 990FX $149.99

These boards are the same only difference is second board can can run 2-way SLi/CrossfireX. For the extra $10 might as well even though I don't see myself ever running SLi/CrossfireX.

I just want the cheapest board, zero features (some OC of course but don't need gig lan, 8.1 sound, etc), and is robust enough to last quite a few years. I don't want to end up with a board in need of a hospital after 3 years of use!
m
l
November 3, 2011 8:59:34 PM

Centora said:
Alright so 3 AM3+ boards on the chopping block. Which to choose however is the question lol.

1. ASRock 970 EXTREME3 AM3+ AMD 970 $84.99
2. ASUS M5A97 AM3+ AMD 970 $99.99
3. GIGABYTE GA-970A-UD3 AM3+ AMD 970 $114.99

If you suggest I get the latest chipset than these are my options.

1. GIGABYTE GA-990XA-UD3 AM3+ AMD 990X $139.99
2. GIGABYTE GA-990FXA-UD3 AM3+ AMD 990FX $149.99

These boards are the same only difference is second board can can run 2-way SLi/CrossfireX. For the extra $10 might as well even though I don't see myself ever running SLi/CrossfireX.

I just want the cheapest board, zero features (some OC of course but don't need gig lan, 8.1 sound, etc), and is robust enough to last quite a few years. I don't want to end up with a board in need of a hospital after 3 years of use!

After a bit of time searching around I found a pretty decent motherboard to suit all my needs.

ASRock 990FX Extreme3 AM3+ AMD 990FX $129.99

Any comments/suggestions would be great!
m
l
!