Rozwyburn

Distinguished
Feb 27, 2011
Hello,
Im considering buying new parts for my computer. Im leaning towards AMD and considering the AMD Phenom II X6 1090t Hexacore, is this a good choice? or should i go with an intel model?

IMO i think you should wait until around April.Sometime around then the new Bulldozer CPU's from AMD should be released.When that happens you have the choice of getting a new Bulldozer or i'm sure the prices will drop for the old generation of Phenom ii's.And maybe if the new Bulldozer chips can compete with the Sandy Bridge it is also possible that the prices will drop for the Sandy Bridge.

I would suggest waiting but if you can't definitly pick up one of the new Sandy Bridge cpu's.They have the best performance compared to any prossescors on the market.

sykozis

Distinguished
Dec 17, 2008

Westmere is an older architecture.... Sandy Bridge is new...

Westmere has 6 physical cores and the ability to handle 12 threads "simultaneously"
Sandy Bridge Core i5 processors have 4 physical cores and can only handle 4 threads "simultaneously"
Sandy Bridge Core i7 processors have 4 physical cores and the ability to handle 8 threads "simultaneously"

Rozwyburn

Distinguished
Feb 27, 2011
But why would you buy the westmere i7 for $1500 when you can get the Phenom II X6 for around 250? I dont see how Intel makes money from everybody whos not a fanboy..

sykozis

Distinguished
Dec 17, 2008

The ability of the Westmere 980 to handle 12 threads "simultaneously" compared to the PhenomII X6 only being able to handle 6 is enough for some....the better performance is enough for others. Core efficiency is also a factor....