Sign in with
Your question

Asus M5A99X EVO static noise through rear i/o port and front panel

Last response: in Motherboards
November 2, 2011 2:28:53 AM

I just finished building my first pc today and i have run into an annoying problem. whenever i plug my 2.1 speakers into the front panel or rear i/o panel i get nothing but static. i have tried updating my motherboard's bios and have updated the realtek audio driver from the asus website. im now going to use the drivers from the realtek website and see if that fixes the problem. the static kinda goes away when sound is playing but when there is no sound playing the static gets really noisy again. i wiggled the plug while it was in the i/o panel and nothing happened. if i mute the sound the static goes away. im running out of ideas to trouble shoot this. thanks to all those that help me.
November 2, 2011 7:10:59 AM

*update*

When i plug in my head phones into my front panel connectors it seems that the static is only on the right side and not the left which is very weird. i also raised the sampling rate to the highest 24 bit studio quality and it seemed to help the problem some for about 10 mins then the static came back. also the case im using is the nzxt zero 2. my psu is the zephr mx series 750w.
a c 77 V Motherboard
a b Ĉ ASUS
November 3, 2011 8:00:35 AM

Check if the Case is Grounded properly. Also check to see if your Wall Power Outlet is properly grounded.
Related resources
November 3, 2011 7:11:51 PM

alyoshka said:
Check if the Case is Grounded properly. Also check to see if your Wall Power Outlet is properly grounded.

how do i go about doing this. im new to computer building sorry
a c 77 V Motherboard
a b Ĉ ASUS
November 4, 2011 3:52:47 AM

This is basic electrics, no computer stuff, all you need is a Tester, it's a sort of screwdriver with an indicator bulb inside which lights up when you touch the screwdriver to a metal case or wire that may have a current leak coming thru it.
If it lights up anywhere on the case means you've got a bad earth contact. The same needs to be tried with the Live, Neutral and earth connections in the wall socket. If the Neutral lights up, means something in the house on the same line is sending too much current back , you need to get the wiring in the house checked. If the earth lights up, means you got no earthing and that needs to be rectified. The live shouldn't be off......:) 
Earthing is also the ground.....
November 4, 2011 8:15:32 PM

alyoshka said:
This is basic electrics, no computer stuff, all you need is a Tester, it's a sort of screwdriver with an indicator bulb inside which lights up when you touch the screwdriver to a metal case or wire that may have a current leak coming thru it.
If it lights up anywhere on the case means you've got a bad earth contact. The same needs to be tried with the Live, Neutral and earth connections in the wall socket. If the Neutral lights up, means something in the house on the same line is sending too much current back , you need to get the wiring in the house checked. If the earth lights up, means you got no earthing and that needs to be rectified. The live shouldn't be off......:) 
Earthing is also the ground.....

ok i got you. but if it was a grounding problem then wouldnt my old pc that i just stopped using have the same issue? it was plugged into the same wall as my current pc. im going to go to walmart later and buy a tester so i will post my results then
a c 77 V Motherboard
a b Ĉ ASUS
November 5, 2011 3:55:20 AM

Err, not necessarily, the older PC could have had maybe better components than the newer one. As we see each generation of rig is faster than the earlier generation, but more sensitive to other stuff. Things that never effected earlier rigs are now a common day occurrence with a million machines all over.
Something else could have come up in the old PC, or maybe the earth problem just came up.
November 5, 2011 5:25:43 AM

alyoshka said:
Err, not necessarily, the older PC could have had maybe better components than the newer one. As we see each generation of rig is faster than the earlier generation, but more sensitive to other stuff. Things that never effected earlier rigs are now a common day occurrence with a million machines all over.
Something else could have come up in the old PC, or maybe the earth problem just came up.

Well i tested the ground in the outlet, the surge protector and my computer and its all grounded. i reinstalled windows and re downloaded the new drivers and the problem is still here. im just going to send the mobo to asus. im still open to any other solutions you or any others may have.
November 13, 2011 7:05:27 PM

I have the Asus M5A99x and mine has developed a fault within two months. I think on mine a coil/cap is on its way out. Every time I do something graphics intense the motherboard hums like a hard drive. Thought at first the graphics card had a faulty cap but I installed this on another AM3 motherboard and used all the same hardware and the hums disappeared.
a c 77 V Motherboard
a b Ĉ ASUS
November 14, 2011 2:58:04 AM

It's good that you could send it back, sometimes these High Quality Capacitors do make that sounds and sometimes they do leak current causing an audible humm in the speakers. These are faults that we cannot repair.
December 17, 2013 11:31:18 PM

Im having the same issue. Was this ever resolved?
!