Sign in with
Your question

New build, Music Production/Gaming - Advice needed

Last response: in Systems
December 1, 2010 11:06:07 PM

Approximate Purchase Date: Q1 2011

Budget Range: approx £1000

System Usage from Most to Least Important: Music production (Pro Tools), gaming (Crysis-esque level games))

Parts Not Required: Pretty much need everything

Preferred Website(s) for Parts: For example - overclockers.co.uk

Country of Origin: England

Parts Preferences: by brand or type: Based on research only, Intel i5/i7 cpu, Asus P7P55D-E or Gigabyte GA-P55A-UD3 Mobo (note, this is very loosely based on research, open for discussion). ATI or Nvidia GPU, GTX 460 looking quite attractive to me.

Overclocking: Most likely

SLI or Crossfire: Want the option to use for example 1 GTX 460 and add another 460 down the line, would this be SLI ?

Monitor Resolution: 1920x1080? Looking at a Benq 22" monitor atm, open to suggestion

Additional Comments: I would like to build this PC myself (I am not a complete novice), also as I will be using this PC for audio creation I would like to know from what I have listed above that I will be able to run software like Pro Tools handling audio recording without any hang-ups at all with very smooth performance. Will be probably be using a USB Mbox as an external interface so I won't need an internal sound card right?

Finally, I have read that having multiple HDD's is important. For example OS on a SSD and another large space hard drive just for recording audio to.

Note: Some of my suggestions or questions may be totally absurd or stupid, feel free to correct me as I'm learning :D , cheers.
December 2, 2010 12:31:36 AM

Purchase Date is Q1 next year so you should wait for intel new CPU's and GPU's from AMD which will be available by early January, by then u can properly select and calculate components accordingly.

About the SSD you have read it right. Others will help u in monitor selection.
December 2, 2010 5:12:20 PM

Thanks for the reply, didn't know new CPU's were coming out that soon. But, as they will be new won't they be really top of the price line? cheers
December 2, 2010 5:27:06 PM

Nope they wont b, they are replacing the current line of processor not just a single high end processor.
!