Sign in with
Your question
Closed

Need Better Replacement for Pegatron M2N78-LA Violet6-GL8E

Last response: in Motherboards
a b V Motherboard
November 2, 2011 8:01:30 AM

Which process do you have? And what RAM's?
Related resources
a b V Motherboard
November 2, 2011 10:57:34 PM

The problem is that if you buy a different motherboard, you'll to buy a copy of Windows to go with it - the one HP gave you is likely tied to your current Pegatron motherboard.

http://h10025.www1.hp.com/ewfrf/wc/document?cc=us&lc=en...

The motherboard itself seems easy enough to replace - it appears to be a standard Micro-ATX AM3 board, which isn't hard to find.

What exactly do you mean by "better"? Is something wrong, or is there something specific you're looking for? And do you have a budget?
November 3, 2011 12:31:55 AM

well they r known to go after 12-18 months and not any longer want something that will last longer then that i no they r out there
November 3, 2011 12:32:44 AM

o and they cost at least 200 dollars witch isnt worth it if it is only going to last me 12-18 months
a b V Motherboard
November 3, 2011 2:58:51 AM

Why are you so concerned about replacing the Motherboard? Just because it is rumored to fail after 12-18 months doesn't mean that yours actually will. IMO that's not a good reason to replace the mobo. On the other hand, if your looking to upgrade graphics, install an incompatible CPU or just want to upgrade to get more performance then you have something to work with. Is your goal just to make a plan in case your mobo fails or do you want more capabilities?

Keep in mind that if you do decide to upgrade to a new mobo, you're likely going to have to spend additional money on a new OS because HP Supplied you with a version of windows that is tied directly to your motherboard. Any change will require reactivation of windows and that could cost you $100 or more in addition to the cost of the new mobo. That is what someguynamedmatt was trying to tell you.
November 3, 2011 3:12:32 AM

yea i no this all ready i just want a new motherboard that will go with my cpu and ram so i dont have to spend a boat load just because my motherboard failed
November 3, 2011 3:13:57 AM

and it isnt a rumor it failed after 18 months
November 3, 2011 4:57:03 AM

fyi it has for the 3rd time
a b V Motherboard
November 3, 2011 3:38:10 PM

That should be a good board. However, if you're having frequent Mobo failures i would also look into the possibility of a bad PSU. What PSU do you have? Also what other devices do you have that use power.

The main difference, the ones I was looking at were AM3+ socket. No big deal there unless you want to upgrade to bulldozer which doesn't really improve performance much.
November 12, 2011 2:03:23 AM

yea now i have a new problem the fans run on high all the time even when isnt hot is there a way to change that
November 22, 2011 5:14:51 PM

I have an HP PAVILION P6310F DESKTOP that only lasted 6 months....was under warranty so it was sent to HP. Returned cause of insect droppings...weird cause the tech support lady had me removed all cable from hard drive to dvd and then all memory out and I didnt see anything. Anyway, its been sitting down in the shed now for almost one year. Paid close to $700 for it for only 6 months. Will like to replace motherboard but I am not sure which one. I do not want to buy the same one and have the same problems in another 6 months....
January 10, 2012 7:59:42 PM

JKatwyopc said:
Why are you so concerned about replacing the Motherboard? Just because it is rumored to fail after 12-18 months doesn't mean that yours actually will. IMO that's not a good reason to replace the mobo. On the other hand, if your looking to upgrade graphics, install an incompatible CPU or just want to upgrade to get more performance then you have something to work with. Is your goal just to make a plan in case your mobo fails or do you want more capabilities?

Keep in mind that if you do decide to upgrade to a new mobo, you're likely going to have to spend additional money on a new OS because HP Supplied you with a version of windows that is tied directly to your motherboard. Any change will require reactivation of windows and that could cost you $100 or more in addition to the cost of the new mobo. That is what someguynamedmatt was trying to tell you.

OS should not be an issue here, I used the disks that were for mine (an HP e9105z, with same mobo) in another pc until I get my mobo replaced. I had vista and W7 disks sent to me from HP and they said replacing the mobo won't cause any probs.
April 9, 2012 12:32:56 AM

I replaced mine with a Gigabyte GA-78LMT-S2P. It fits, your original processor and RAM will work in it, the wire connectors all match up (even the front panel one works!) and the only problem I had was the system fan wires being slightly short but I just untwisted the wires to get the extra half inch I needed and eveything works great. Its a cheap board too less than $70 new if you shop around. You will have to re-install windows though.
June 21, 2012 11:04:24 PM

wimpy40 said:
yea now i have a new problem the fans run on high all the time even when isnt hot is there a way to change that

Did you ever get this issue resolved?! I am having the same problem with my replacement motherboard. If you did, please share this info. Will be much appreciated!
!