So, I destroyed my graphics card...

kyk

Distinguished
Feb 27, 2011
...and I don't want to do it again. I read the PSU guide/FAQ topic but I still thought I'd better ask people who actually know what they're talking about before installing a new card.

Specs:
AMD X2 2.2GHz
3Gb RAM (DDR2 800)
Gigabyte GA-M61SME-S2
XFX GeForce 9800GT
Eagle 500W PSU

I hooked up the 9800GT using a molex-6pin adaptor, but didn't connect it right (only plugged in one of the two molex connectors, cos I'm kinda stupid that way) so it died. Before I try again though, I wanted to check with you guys that my PSU can handle this card. Like I said, I read the PSU guides on this site but they all lost me at the word "rails". So here's a picture:

DSCF0522.jpg
[/img]

Can this cope, or should I get a better one?
Thanks for your help guys, appreciate it

kyk

Distinguished
Feb 27, 2011

Great, thanks! But how do I know I'm connecting it to the +12v?

kyk

Distinguished
Feb 27, 2011

Really? That's interesting, I just assumed that's why it broke. Yellow dots all over the screen during boot followed by system freeze and a horrible purple and black mess on the monitor when windows starts if that sheds any more light

shovenose

Distinguished
yeah dont use a generic power supply, they can damage other components in your computer by outputting extremely high voltage variation or high ripple. get a good power supply like a seasonic, corsair, or antec