So, I destroyed my graphics card...

...and I don't want to do it again. I read the PSU guide/FAQ topic but I still thought I'd better ask people who actually know what they're talking about before installing a new card.

Specs:
AMD X2 2.2GHz
3Gb RAM (DDR2 800)
Gigabyte GA-M61SME-S2
XFX GeForce 9800GT
Eagle 500W PSU

I hooked up the 9800GT using a molex-6pin adaptor, but didn't connect it right (only plugged in one of the two molex connectors, cos I'm kinda stupid that way) so it died. Before I try again though, I wanted to check with you guys that my PSU can handle this card. Like I said, I read the PSU guides on this site but they all lost me at the word "rails". So here's a picture:

" class="img lazy">

Can this cope, or should I get a better one?
Thanks for your help guys, appreciate it
8 answers Last reply
More about destroyed graphics card
  1. It has enough watts and amperage on the +12 volts for that card.
  2. rolli59 said:
    It has enough watts and amperage on the +12 volts for that card.

Great, thanks! But how do I know I'm connecting it to the +12v?
  3. The wires on your PSU are color coded yellow is 12 volts red is 5 volts and so on http://www.playtool.com/pages/psuconnectors/connectors.html
  4. I don't see how only plugging in one connector could have killed your previous card.. At worst, it just wouldn't have worked.
  5. Herr_Koos said:
    I don't see how only plugging in one connector could have killed your previous card.. At worst, it just wouldn't have worked.

Really? That's interesting, I just assumed that's why it broke. Yellow dots all over the screen during boot followed by system freeze and a horrible purple and black mess on the monitor when windows starts if that sheds any more light
  6. Cards can die for any reason. The 9800GT barely needs an external power connector so it most likely did not die from your connection issue.
  7. yeah dont use a generic power supply, they can damage other components in your computer by outputting extremely high voltage variation or high ripple. get a good power supply like a seasonic, corsair, or antec
Ask a new question

Read More

Power Supplies Graphics Cards Components