Dual Xeon 5650 or i7 980x??

Status
Not open for further replies.

sgtopmobile

Distinguished
Nov 18, 2010
Hi all i have question... i am trying to decide if either getting 1x i7 980x or 2x Xeon 5650 ...well the thing is my dad told me to get a mobo that could use dual xeon ... see he uses a lot a resource-hungry apps and 3d rendering a editing photos and all that stuff that requaires a lot of system resources.... i told him that instead of that he could get an i7 980x but i am not sure if that will be enough.... my mon also uses the pc some times to do some desinging

i decided to go on youtube to see if there were any kind of benchmark comparing this setups.... but to my surprise i found the perfect combination between GAMING PC - SERVER wich is maxishine computer`s
you can visit his channel here
http://www.youtube.com/user/maxishine

he`s setup is kind of an overkill for a gamer but pretty much a average server like my dad is looking for right now

so i am trying to advise my dad since i have a little bit more hardware knowledge tham him (BTW he destroys me when it comes to software LOL) to get the best he can get for a gaming and a server machine
so do you think and i7 980x will be ok?? or dual xeon 5650 are necessary?? btw the price doesnt matter (IT WILL MATTER IF DUAL XEON SETUP IS ONLY LIKE A 10% BETTER AT RENDERING AND THAT STUFF THAN THE i7 980x, IF SO DUAL XEON ARE NOT WORTH IT)

Also wheater it is the i7 980x or dual xeon they will be paired with 3way sli gtx 580 and if its de i7 980 24 gb ram ....dual xeon 48gb ram
and motherboard will be EVGA SR2 for xeon set up and EVGA X58 4 WAY SLI for the i7 980x

also another important question what is the diference in gaming between the both set ups i mean if i7 980x is able to pull 100 Fps let say... how many Fps will de dual xeon will be able to pull out??

sgtopmobile

Distinguished
Nov 18, 2010
Thnak you for your awnser... my dad uses the computer because it is his profession so we have to get either 980x or 990x or dual xeon 5650 i didnt take in consideration using SSDs until you suggested what SSD do you recomend me to get?? SSD increase the speed of photo editing and video editing and rendiring by how much?? also is it a good idea to get 2 SSD and put then on RAID 0?? i ve never used RAID so i dont know how good it is or what problems it might have....

SSD will save you time while opening large files (opens them quickly in other words).. It is not going to reduce render timings and/or make the inner work flow any smoother..

Coming to the CPU discussion, dual 5650's will surely beat out a single 980X in CPU intensive scenarios.. Also, going for a dual processor motherboard will give you access to more memory banks.. A high memory count is necessary to work smoothly with large file structures..

Status
Not open for further replies.