Sign in with
Your question

I HATE THIS! Asus GTS250 Dark knight artifacts?

Last response: in Graphics & Displays
Anonymous
a b U Graphics card
a b } Memory
October 8, 2010 7:59:59 AM

Ok, So i have a Asus GTS 250 Dark knight, and it starts to artifacts after like 40 minutes into Furmark stability, I RMA'd it and then they gave me a completley new Asus gts 250 dark knight, btw im getting these artifacts are stock clocks, so i tested this new one, so now after 40 minutes it gets artificats so i put it in a new computer and it got artificats after 40 minutes of stability test on furmark so i bought some acceptable thermalpaste and then i put a VF900 And now it still does the same thing i check if it was the memory buy putting the memory mhz to only 100mhz and still artifacts is this there fault or mine, also in any game it doesnt get ANY artifacts ;)  so help?
Anonymous
a b U Graphics card
a b } Memory
October 8, 2010 8:17:31 AM

So, is my card fine?

BTW: I dont even get higher temps than 70c
m
l
Anonymous
a b U Graphics card
a b } Memory
October 8, 2010 8:59:18 AM

So should i only be worried if it happen whilst playing or something?
m
l
Related resources
a c 126 U Graphics card
a b Ĉ ASUS
a b } Memory
October 8, 2010 10:25:14 AM

Your wrong dipankar, A GPU should not artifact when running Furmark ( Or anything) aslong as the temps are fine and you haven't been playing around with the Core and/or memory clocks or Voltage. ( Its alittle like saying, "My CPU Overclock is stable as long as I don't max out all the cores to 100% for more than 40Mins." Obviously its not completely stable.)

@OP Download the latest GPU-Z (Temp monitoring program for graphics cards) and check the VRM and memory temps, I wouldnt let the memory go past 90C and I wouldn't let the VRM's go past 110C.

Now that you've taken the orginal cooler off you've most likely voided your warrenty so won't be able to return it.
m
l
a c 273 U Graphics card
a b Ĉ ASUS
October 8, 2010 10:50:59 AM

Rustyy117 said:
Now that you've taken the orginal cooler off you've most likely voided your warrenty so won't be able to return it.

They usually honour the warranty so long as you put the original HSF back on before you return it.
m
l
a b U Graphics card
October 8, 2010 10:51:31 AM

Agree with omgitsfatal.

A gpu should be able to cope with any stress testing thrown at it. If it doesn't return it.

It's like saying, My Graphics card works fine, but only if I don't game on it. Then it is not doing what it was built to do... it is not doing what you bought the product for.

Try returning it anyways is my advice, put the stock cooler back on, and just try.

I don't believe asus is too picky about it, and otherwise since they only just gave it to you the store you bought it from is by law supposed to give you a new one within 14 days I believe.

Anyways another law is that the customer is always right, If you say that you did not replace the cooler with another one, then it did not happen, unless there is very clear proof. Put the old one back, even a couple of traces such as different paste cannot be sufficient proof that you changed it.

I worked in a computer store... hence I know this.
m
l
a b U Graphics card
October 8, 2010 10:52:20 AM

I also don't agree with running Furmark until it breaks and then asking why ?
Here is showing that ATI does not think so either.
ATI Cypress (Radeon HD 5870) Cards Have Hardware Protection Against Power Virus Like FurMark and OCCT
http://www.geeks3d.com/20090925/ati-cypress-radeon-hd-5...
m
l
a c 126 U Graphics card
a b Ĉ ASUS
a b } Memory
October 8, 2010 11:19:02 AM

Thats something different, thats overcurrent protection where the card will downclock itself to stop it being damaged.
The OP is saying that after 40 minutes the card starts artifacting, which suggests to me there's something wrong with the memory modules.

Anyway that article is about Crypress not about a GTS250....

Yes dipankar your right, the main purpose of a graphics card like the GTS250 is to play games, I just wouldnt feel comfortable paying for a new card that cant be stressed to the max for more than 40 minutes, thats pathetic.
m
l
a b U Graphics card
October 8, 2010 1:04:34 PM

exactly. The ati cypress situation is the card protecting itself before it gets damaged, the GTS250 here is already damaged.

Different story, conclusion; the GTS250 is broken
m
l
Anonymous
a b U Graphics card
a b } Memory
October 8, 2010 11:49:45 PM

Guys, I found out it was just furmark, Iv tested other graphics card stability tests and could run them for hours without artifacts.

Anyways, i think it might be a driver problem even though i have latest drivers.
m
l
Anonymous
a b U Graphics card
a b } Memory
October 9, 2010 1:04:30 AM

So what do you guys think?
m
l
a b U Graphics card
a b Ĉ ASUS
a b } Memory
October 9, 2010 5:51:28 AM

Use afterburner/kombustor (same as furmark)

1. Create a fan curve :

2. Run Kombustor at "stock clocks" and click on extreme-burn-in

3. Check temps and fan speed :

If temps are low at stock it should not artifact no matter how long you run the test, IMO anything over 30min is a waste since games do not run at 99% usage for the most part. Even Crysis, a game that stresses the GPU quite a bit fails to reach 90% "average"..

Example (20 min Warhead test)

http://i683.photobucket.com/albums/vv199/OvrClkr/repast...
m
l
Anonymous
a b U Graphics card
a b } Memory
October 9, 2010 6:15:54 AM

Do i need a MSI Card for MSI Afterburner? Because i have a asus one D:
m
l
a b U Graphics card
a b Ĉ ASUS
a b } Memory
October 9, 2010 6:26:54 AM

No, of course not, I have an Asus 5850 and have been using Afterburner for quite some time. I use both Asus Smart Doctor and Afterburner and it works perfectly fine.

http://i683.photobucket.com/albums/vv199/OvrClkr/74F_BC...

Your card comes with Smart Doctor, familiarize yourself with the software =)

Note: Make sure you use Doctor for the engine/shader/memory ONLY, and afterburner for everything else. If you enable the fan control in Doctor it will screw everything up and your GPU can over-heat quite easily.
m
l
Anonymous
a b U Graphics card
a b } Memory
October 9, 2010 8:15:45 AM

Why dont i just use rivatuner?
m
l
a b U Graphics card
a b Ĉ ASUS
a b } Memory
October 9, 2010 4:31:09 PM

Quote:
Why dont i just use rivatuner?

Because it's out-dated and does not have all the bells and whistles that AB has. It's up t you, I was just giving you a suggestion.
m
l
!