CPU cooler for i7-2600K processor

Tags:
  • CPUs
  • Cooler Master
  • Cooling
Last response: in CPUs
February 27, 2011 5:25:11 PM

Hello;

I am in the process of building my own PC. So far I have a Cooler Master 690 II Advanced case, an i7-2600K processor, 8GB Corsair Vengeance memory and a GeForce GTX 580 video card. All other components, such as hard drives and optical drives I plan on scavaging from my current PC. I'm just waiting for the revised P67 motherboards to become available.

One component I an having trouble deciding on is a CPU cooler. I was considering a Cooler Master Hyper 212 Plus, but after looking at the 212's dimensions and seeing a Cooler Master Installation video for it, I doubt the 212 (or similiar sized coolers) will fit in the 690 case.

Can anyone recommend smaller cooler than the Hyper 212 or others of it's type?

Thanks.

More about : cpu cooler 2600k processor

February 27, 2011 5:31:24 PM

It should fit in any standard ATX case; it is half a centimeter away from the door on my old Antec fileserve case.

one thing to consider with all coolers is how close they are to your RAM DIMMs.
m
l
February 27, 2011 7:15:05 PM

From what I can determine, the height of the Hyper 212 by itself is about 6.25 inches tall. The distance from the back of the 690 II to the side panel is 7 inches, which gives me only 3/4's of an inch leeway. I suppose that should be enough, but that is before the motherboard and CPU are installed. I hope that is enough room.

I'm surprised no manufacturer has made a smaller version of the Hyper 212 by using a smaller 80-90mm fan with a higher flow rate.
m
l
Related resources

Best solution

a b à CPUs
February 27, 2011 7:48:42 PM

It should fit no problem, but for that price range I would go with the Scythe Mugen 2 as it offers superior cooling and less noise.

If you want a smaller cooler even though the 212+ and similar sized towers (they are all around the 160mm mark) should fit, there are coolers like the Noctua NH-U9B SE2 which are smaller but offers less cooling, but as your case can accommodate the larger tower coolers, I would not suggest you go with a smaller cooler.
March 6, 2011 11:50:22 AM

Best answer selected by steel_man.
m
l
!