CPU cooler for i7-2600K processor

steel_man

Distinguished
Feb 4, 2011
Hello;

I am in the process of building my own PC. So far I have a Cooler Master 690 II Advanced case, an i7-2600K processor, 8GB Corsair Vengeance memory and a GeForce GTX 580 video card. All other components, such as hard drives and optical drives I plan on scavaging from my current PC. I'm just waiting for the revised P67 motherboards to become available.

One component I an having trouble deciding on is a CPU cooler. I was considering a Cooler Master Hyper 212 Plus, but after looking at the 212's dimensions and seeing a Cooler Master Installation video for it, I doubt the 212 (or similiar sized coolers) will fit in the 690 case.

Can anyone recommend smaller cooler than the Hyper 212 or others of it's type?

Thanks.

Solution
It should fit no problem, but for that price range I would go with the Scythe Mugen 2 as it offers superior cooling and less noise.

If you want a smaller cooler even though the 212+ and similar sized towers (they are all around the 160mm mark) should fit, there are coolers like the Noctua NH-U9B SE2 which are smaller but offers less cooling, but as your case can accommodate the larger tower coolers, I would not suggest you go with a smaller cooler.

steel_man

Distinguished
Feb 4, 2011
From what I can determine, the height of the Hyper 212 by itself is about 6.25 inches tall. The distance from the back of the 690 II to the side panel is 7 inches, which gives me only 3/4's of an inch leeway. I suppose that should be enough, but that is before the motherboard and CPU are installed. I hope that is enough room.

I'm surprised no manufacturer has made a smaller version of the Hyper 212 by using a smaller 80-90mm fan with a higher flow rate.

lothdk

Distinguished
Jan 20, 2010
It should fit no problem, but for that price range I would go with the Scythe Mugen 2 as it offers superior cooling and less noise.

If you want a smaller cooler even though the 212+ and similar sized towers (they are all around the 160mm mark) should fit, there are coolers like the Noctua NH-U9B SE2 which are smaller but offers less cooling, but as your case can accommodate the larger tower coolers, I would not suggest you go with a smaller cooler.

Solution