Unlocking cores and signs of instability

imdyinhere

Distinguished
Feb 7, 2011
This may be a n00b question and all but here goes. I have an AMD PhenomIIx2 555 BE that I would like to unlock the cores. I am curious. How does one tell if the cores arent viable.

I tried unlocking them and got some BSOD but only after the machine had been on for a while. Also, the error messages I was getting were pointing at memeory and not the cpu as the culprit.

I guess what I need to know is if there are any changes I can make in BIOS that would create a more stable environment for my newly unlocked cores. I have read that the BIOS can sometimes not have the right settings right off the bat not only for memory but for the cpu as well.

Thanks.

Imdy

Solution
Two stable unlocked (and one clocked to 3.5GHz) X3 435's says there is :)
but as mentioned, its not guarenteed, its a gamble,
try bios update and set ram timings/cpu volts manually but dont be surprised to find you dont have a 'hidden' quad there
Moto
Well you would want to check the CPU voltage. But here is the thing:

Don't be suprised if everything you do to try to stabilize the system fails. Even though the BSoD was pointing towards memory, it could have been caused by the CPU. If you try everything and don't get it stable, then that means that your CPU specifically has either a bad core(s) or bad cache that will cause you greif in the end (including corrupting your OS install and other files).

endyen

Splendid
Jimmy is usually right.
Remember the chips today have the memory controller on die. If the controller is mixing the i-os it will blame the memory.
Just use the cores you paid for, and cry about your bad luck latter. After all, there really is no free lunch.

Two stable unlocked (and one clocked to 3.5GHz) X3 435's says there is :)
but as mentioned, its not guarenteed, its a gamble,
try bios update and set ram timings/cpu volts manually but dont be surprised to find you dont have a 'hidden' quad there
Moto

Solution

imdyinhere

Distinguished
Feb 7, 2011
After upgrading from my last machine.... this is ok with me.. besides the proc was a bday gift. Its good for oc'ing and Im ok with it. Just thinking that Ive been lucky lately and maybe just maybe.... We'll see.

Imdy

imdyinhere

Distinguished
Feb 7, 2011
RAM timings and cpu voltage fixed the issue. PhenomII x4 b55 is now running smoothly and oc'd to 3.5. Temp is stable at 31c and ran for 7 hours on Prime95.

Pretty sure Im good to go. Ill run it overnight to be sure, but looking good from here.

Imdy