Can these cards be Crossfired?

ambam

Distinguished
Jun 5, 2010
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16814125326&cm_re=hd_5870-_-14-125-326-_-Product

Can Two GIGABYTE HD 5870 1GB of the exact same model be crossfired? It isn't the reference model, it has a different heat sink and layout than the other cards. I was wondering if I might run into any problems because of that. Especially if the cards are sitting right next to one other.

I was just wondering if it is 100% compatible being crossfired with a 2nd identical card.

I'm getting Two of these from newegg.com, is newegg a reputable and trustworthy website? Have you ever used it?

Yes, you can CF two HD5870 even if they're from different brand, i.e Gigabyte with ASUS or Gigabyte with HIS, your choice... :)

Well, for newegg, i never buy from them since i'm not live in US, but many people on this forums use newegg as their reference. And i think it's quite good place for shopping...

ambam

Distinguished
Jun 5, 2010
Yes,they can be crossfired.Newegg is the best site for buying pc hardware if you are from US.

If I'm crossfiring Two of those GIGABYTE HD 5870's in Two slots literally right next to each other, like on the Two PCIe 2.0 x16 slots on the ASUS Sabertooth X58, they won't be physically obstructed by one other? How physically wide are these cards compared to the stock HD 5870's "brick" design?

I originally wanted the MSI Big Bang Xpower, but changed my mind because I didn't like the PCIe slot placements.