Eyefinity, will this work?

Wafx

Distinguished
Oct 8, 2010
Hello everyone,

I'm working on building a new computer within a month, I've got the opportunity of buying a fairly cheap ASUS HD 5970 card, however the problem is that the 3 monitors I've got have no displayport port and the 5970 card has got 2x DVI and 1x Mini-DP.

Now my question is, by connecting a "Mini DisplayPort Male to DisplayPort Female Adapter" Link: http://www.monoprice.com/products/product.asp?c_id=104&cp_id=10428&cs_id=1042803&p_id=5714&seq=1&format=2

And then attaching the active displayport -> DVI adapter onto the above adapter, will this work?

So the whole thing would look like this:
Mini DP (On the card) the Mini DP -> DP adapter, then the active DP to DVI adapter and then a DVI cable from the adapter to the monitor.

I've asked on multiple forums but people seem to avoid answering the question only telling me that digital adapters won't reduce the quality output, however quality can't be reduced for something that's not working right...

All I want to know is, will this connection work, I'd rather not spend hundreds of bucks on a card only to have a monitor standing around for no real purpose.

Best regards
Wafx

N.Broekhuijsen

Distinguished
Jun 17, 2009
chances are that the ASUS card comes with the mini DP -> DP adapter, from there you can indeed use an "Active Displayport -> DVI adapter"

Make sure it is active. These adapters are expensive though, you know that much probably.

Otherwise chances are that the adapter you listed from miniDP->DP will work, you just can't be 100% sure since it is not the one that was shipped with the video card.