presto

Distinguished
May 30, 2002

OK, so I'm running a brand new character in BG2. I have both SoA and ToB
installed, the BioWare ToB patch, and the whole package of fixes from
baldurdash.org.

Now, I can get through the initial dungeon without a hitch, but as soon as I
get above ground, the game crashes on me within four minutes or so and
reboots my computer, and continues to do the same thing everytime I've
played it.

Has anyone else encountered a similar problem?

--
==========
Are you a RPG Player?

"Evil is perversely compelling. It always
has been. Let's face it, the Bible is
duller than operating instructions for a
hinge until the snake shows up."
- Dennis Miller

Presto <donotuse@thisaddress.no> wrote:
> OK, so I'm running a brand new character in BG2. I have both SoA and ToB
> installed, the BioWare ToB patch, and the whole package of fixes from
> baldurdash.org.

> Now, I can get through the initial dungeon without a hitch, but as soon as I
> get above ground, the game crashes on me within four minutes or so and
> reboots my computer, and continues to do the same thing everytime I've
> played it.

> Has anyone else encountered a similar problem?

I've had two BG2 related reboot issues.

The first was likely caused by an older video driver and
was fixed by installing the latest stable driver from
the manufacturer.

The second was caused by having the environmental sound
(EAX?) option turned on. (and probably triggered by a bad
driver).

You should also delete the files in the temp and cache
directories in your BG2 folder. These can cause
spontaneous crashes (though usually not reboots).

If you are running Win2k or WinXP, a reboot is almost always
caused by hardware or driver problems. Games tend to push
the system more then everyday apps do, so you may not see
them under normal conditions.

If deleting the cache folder and turning off the EAX option
don't work you may need to do some PC doctoring. Start by
getting the latest stable drivers for all your hardware
(video, sound, and motherboard if you can).

After that, you are basically on your own. If you are feeling
brave, open up your box and re-seat all the cards and memory
sticks. If you don't know how, just google for directions,
it's not that hard as long as you follow a few simple rules.

Good luck,
Mark.