Sign in with
Your question
Solved

Windows 8 Pro OEM or Windows 7 Pro OEM

Last response: in Windows 8
January 8, 2013 4:54:52 AM

Hello,
I have just ordered the components for my first ever pc build. I now need to purchase my OS and am lost as to the fact of whether buying OEM's is okay and if so which one I should buy. Is the 7 OEM eligible for the Windows 8 pro $40 upgrade?

My Components are:
I5-3570k
Gigabyte GA-Z77X-UD3H
Samsung 840 Pro 128 GB
WD Caviar Black 1 TB
16 GB Kingston HyperX
Gigabyte GeForce GTX 660 2GB
Corsair 300R-Black
Corsair CX 600w
Cooler Master Hyper 212 Evo

More about : windows pro oem windows pro oem

a b * Windows 8
January 8, 2013 10:39:20 AM

yes you can still get an upgrade, you still have to pay for the upgrade, so if you switch you may as well get pro.
m
l
a b * Windows 8
January 8, 2013 10:59:45 AM

Hi :) 

Go for 7... 8 wont even play dvds... and it has a fair few problems with games as well, if you are a gamer...

All the best Brett :) 
m
l
Related resources
a b * Windows 8
January 8, 2013 12:02:10 PM

Brett928S2 said:

Go for 7... 8 wont even play dvds... and it has a fair few problems with games as well, if you are a gamer...

This is BS dont listen, inaccurate info. Do I need to prove you wrong again. Dont repeatedly embarrass yourself. Jeez your account list is getting high. can you actually remember them all

take advice from people that actually uses the OS
http://www.extremetech.com/computing/142796-how-to-play...

Nero show time
PowerDVD
and more
m
l
Anonymous
January 8, 2013 12:35:40 PM

There is quite a difference between OEM versions of 7 and 8.

Windows 7 OEM was locked to the first motherboard that it was installed on.

M$ have now changed this blatant attempt at profiteering and the OEM versions of Windows 8 can be transferred between PC's that you own as long as the previous installation is removed/deactivated under the Personal Use License

You can even transfer ownership of Windows 8 OEM, again as long as the previous installation is removed/deactivated and that you transfer the package in its entirety i.e. media, COA, original proof of purchase.

The only restriction is on Windows 8 OEM licenses that are installed by the device manufacturers.

m
l
Anonymous
January 8, 2013 1:11:09 PM

gomerpile said:
This is BS dont listen, inaccurate info. Do I need to prove you wrong again. Dont repeatedly embarrass yourself. Jeez your account list is getting high. can you actually remember them all

take advice from people that actually uses the OS
http://www.extremetech.com/computing/142796-how-to-play...

Nero show time
PowerDVD
and more

I think Brett means that 8 doesn't have native support for DVD playback like some older versions of Windows did.

As far as I am aware to get DVD playback on 8 you either need to install a third party application or get the Windows Media Centre add on (which used to be included but now M$ have seen an opportunity to further fleece its customer base, and of course it's only available on Pro)

Quite why you would want to pay for WMC is beyond me, XMBC and PLEX are far better solutions and they are both free.
m
l
a b * Windows 8
January 8, 2013 1:39:31 PM

nero showtime, or power dvd. plays moves just fine in 8. You don't need to install wmc. One way or the other 7 still needs code installed to play vob files
m
l
Anonymous
January 8, 2013 1:49:23 PM

gomerpile said:
nero showtime, or power dvd. plays moves just fine in 8. You don't need to install wmc. One way or the other 7 still needs code installed to play vob files

I didn't say you have to install WMC - I said you will need to install a 3rd party app or WMC, some versions of Vista and 7 came with the required CSS & mpeg-2/4 codecs already packaged in the OS.
m
l
January 8, 2013 1:52:12 PM

gomerpile said:

Why was this necessary? Simply state you can download third party software to play movies. Don't attack a member on the forums, attack the idea. Part of the rules.

IMO I don't see a reason to upgrade to 8. Ive used both 7 and 8. I like 8 just fine... But it doesn't offer me any significant benefit over 7 that would cause me to spend money to get it.
m
l
a b * Windows 8
January 8, 2013 1:59:48 PM

unoriginal1 said:
Why was this necessary? Simply state you can download third party software to play movies. Don't attack a member on the forums, attack the idea. Part of the rules.

IMO I don't see a reason to upgrade to 8. Ive used both 7 and 8. I like 8 just fine... But it doesn't offer me any significant benefit over 7 that would cause me to spend money to get it.

I agree ^

what comes around go around. I only giving back what he started. @Brett STOP GIVING ADVICE THAT IS BS.
anyways
to switch is an option but to BS the facts is wrong This is a respected tec forum and he his giving false information.
Windows 7 without mp4 codes wont play. Same setup as win 8. Instal mp4 codes and dvd moves can be played

Edit: OEM is ok the version of 7 on my computer is the key from my old dell. Windows 8 pro using upgrade setup just fine
m
l
Anonymous
January 8, 2013 2:20:42 PM

.VOB is just a container type for the mpeg-2 encoded stream, just like mkv, mp4 and m4v are containers for h/x264 encoded streams or .avi which can have a stream encoded by many different codecs. DVD playback software looks at the media sets, chapter lists etc in the .ifo files to know which stream to play from which VOBs. VOBs can also contain audio, menu navigation and subtitle data.

Also sounds like you broke the Windows 7 EULA to install Windows 8.

I don't see that Brett is giving false information, he correctly states that Windows 8 cannot play DVDs without having to install additional software, I agree that statement could have been a tad clearer but the statement itself is correct.
m
l
a b * Windows 8
January 8, 2013 2:41:33 PM

Quote:
.VOB is just a container type for the mpeg-2 encoded stream, just like mkv, mp4 and m4v are containers for h/x264 encoded streams or .avi which can have a stream encoded by many different codecs. DVD playback software looks at the media sets, chapter lists etc in the .ifo files to know which stream to play from which VOBs. VOBs can also contain audio, menu navigation and subtitle data.

Also sounds like you broke the Windows 7 EULA to install Windows 8.

I don't see that Brett is giving false information, he correctly states that Windows 8 cannot play DVDs without having to install additional software, I agree that statement could have been a tad clearer but the statement itself is correct.

No I checked on that I paid for the cd key to use in any one computer I want. I have to register that key in a new system providing the OS is uninstalled from that PC. The eula clearly states that.

Edit: Thanks for the info how vob files are played and why a decoder is needed to play them. I see win 7 and 8 have similarities how to play them with 3 party software installed in win 7 vob files will not play without a player or decoder to switch to avi format. This vob files were extracted for a dvd disk
m
l
Anonymous
January 8, 2013 2:53:06 PM

gomerpile said:

Edit: OEM is ok the version of 7 on my computer is the key from my old dell. Windows 8 pro using upgrade setup just fine

Hmm, to me this looks like you're saying you used the OEM installation of Windows 7 from an old Dell to then install Windows 7 and subsequently 8 on another PC, while Windows 8 Pro OEM is transferable 7 OEM is not.

Correct me if I've misunderstood what you've done but from your description the above is what it sounds like. Personally I don't have an issue even if that's what you have done, but some report monkeys round here might take exception if I actively condoned it.
m
l
January 8, 2013 2:56:25 PM

Brett928S2 said:

Go for 7...
Quote:
8 wont even play dvds
... and it has a fair few problems with games as well, if you are a gamer...

@Digital Alchemy

I agree with gomer on this one, I see gomers point. Wont even play dvds, do you really think he is giving accurate information.
m
l
Anonymous
January 8, 2013 2:59:31 PM

I C said:
@Digital Alchemy

I agree with gomer on this one, I see gomers point. Wont even play dvds, do you really think he is giving accurate information.

Accurate - yes

Concise - probably not
m
l
a b * Windows 8
January 8, 2013 4:04:48 PM

8 will NOT play dvds unless you either pay for software like Power dvd or use another free program....

IF you do neither of those , it will NOT EVER play dvds...

And GOMER , i sell 8 machines in my shops and repair 8 machines as well... so yes, I have experience of them.... what experience (commercially) do you have ?

m
l
January 8, 2013 4:18:33 PM

After you get used to it, there is nothing wrong with Windows 8. I wouldn't go back to 7 now that I am comfortable on Windows 8. The haters just like to hop to the bandwagon, have not tried OS themselves, don't have the mental capacity to re-learn the OS, or are trying to excuse themselves to avoid feeling the need to buy it. Windows 8 is on par or better in performance to Windows 7. Not like when Windows Vista was around.

And to that DVD junk, I wasn't aware of that since any intelligent person will use VLC player for all videos anyway.
m
l
January 8, 2013 4:25:42 PM

schnitter said:
After you get used to it, there is nothing wrong with Windows 8. I wouldn't go back to 7 now that I am comfortable on Windows 8. The haters just like to hop to the bandwagon, have not tried OS themselves, don't have the mental capacity to re-learn the OS, or are trying to excuse themselves to avoid feeling the need to buy it. Windows 8 is on par or better in performance to Windows 7. Not like when Windows Vista was around.

And to that DVD junk, I wasn't aware of that since any intelligent person will use VLC player for all videos anyway.

Everyone one of the posters. For and against windows 8 have experience with and have used it.
Tell me... What feature and or performance gain makes a $40 purchase justifiable? Could just be me.... Or my lack of intelligence ;) . But I think I'll spend that $40 on a case of suds sit back and watch some movies with my VLC player (cause im a smart one....) On my windows 7 machine.

Bottom line as I said before. Nothing wrong with 8, it's a fine OS I have had no issues with it. If it's a new pc and comes with it great. But if you have 7 already. There is no single valid reason (stated in this thread yet) to spend money on an upgrade.
m
l
a b * Windows 8
January 8, 2013 4:27:56 PM

schnitter said:

The problem I have with the DVD stuff is that I have to try and explain to customers why their brand new machine will NOT play Dvds... when I explain that Microsoft wont pay the couple of pounds to enable the software codecs , all it does is make them think even less of MS than they already do...

I have to explain BEFORE they buy the machine....which is not good for business, personally I suspect that 8 is going to end up with a worse reputation than Vista, because of its various problems ...imho...

m
l
January 8, 2013 4:45:07 PM

Windows 7.

Here's why:

I'm of average intellegence and below average experience (for this forum). I have two builds. Jun 2012, DEC 2012. Both builds have Windows 7. They work fine.

My wife has a laptop w/ Windows 8. It works fine DESPITE windows 8. The OS itself is fine, however I had to google (no kidding) how to shut it off and that's just the beginning ...

Bottom line: It's a new OS. It's not obvious how to use it (like a successful OS should be IMHO).

Good Luck !!
m
l
Anonymous
January 8, 2013 4:46:01 PM

My posts were neither against or in favour of 8 versus 7.

My personal opinion is that the vast majority of M$ software is overpriced, underperforming, insecure, unstable tosh. However my career means I work with a lot of MS software (end user and enterprise) due to a history of largely unchallenged monopolisation of SMEs by MS.

I don't run Windows natively on my own machines, 7 in VM for doing photo work and that's it.
m
l
January 8, 2013 4:57:12 PM

Brett928S2 said:

The problem I have with the DVD stuff is that I have to try and explain to customers why their brand new machine will NOT play Dvds... when I explain that Microsoft wont pay the couple of pounds to enable the software codecs , all it does is make them think even less of MS than they already do...

I have to explain BEFORE they buy the machine....which is not good for business, personally I suspect that 8 is going to end up with a worse reputation than Vista, because of its various problems ...imho...

Why not install the free VLC media player for them?
m
l
January 8, 2013 5:00:46 PM

Windows 7 has been patched updated and worked around for years.Pretty much anything has windows 7 drivers and support.Same cannot be said for 8.
Get the Windows 7 and when there is a valid reason to expend more money on an OS get the W8 upgrade.
m
l
a b * Windows 8
January 8, 2013 5:02:00 PM

Brett928S2 said:

I work on quite a few computers and work with clients with canadacomputers ,reputably company. I am 24 hour support. I am a dumptruck driver

8 being like vista that's yur opinion I can proof that wrong is a split second
m
l
a b * Windows 8
January 8, 2013 5:42:22 PM

Quote:
Hmm, to me this looks like you're saying you used the OEM installation of Windows 7 from an old Dell to then install Windows 7 and subsequently 8 on another PC, while Windows 8 Pro OEM is transferable 7 OEM is not.

Correct me if I've misunderstood what you've done but from your description the above is what it sounds like. Personally I don't have an issue even if that's what you have done, but some report monkeys round here might take exception if I actively condoned it.

The license is transferable through phone and an new activation license is issued by phone. I just went through the process with MS
m
l
January 8, 2013 5:55:20 PM

Brett928S2 said:

8 will NOT play dvds unless you either pay for software like Power dvd or use another free program....

IF you do neither of those , it will NOT EVER play dvds...

And GOMER , i sell 8 machines in my shops and repair 8 machines as well... so yes, I have experience of them.... what experience (commercially) do you have ?

Yeah exactly, you're a salesperson 1st and tech expert last. Your answers are mostly bullshit that always steer into spend-more-money direction. I'm growing tired of your bigotry towards Windows 8.
m
l
a b * Windows 8
January 8, 2013 6:13:26 PM

Here is what I personally think, if it matters, I see people upset because, for once in their life they have to pay for something to use in their pc. The prices are reasonable and fair for media players. I don't see companies giving away free dvd players or bluerayplayers. Why should a developer have to give it away for nothing. I'd am happy to pay for something that works. Second buy a new dvd player for your pc and you get the software for free. till then use whatever is free there are lots out there. Windows media player 11 suck anyways
m
l
January 8, 2013 6:18:42 PM

survival guide for Windows 8

After installation, go to www.ninite.com and check all the programs you need, making sure you select also "classic Start".

Classic start will install a start button just like Windows 7 and let you boot to the desktop instead of the Modern UI

VLC will let you play DVD as well as almost any video and audio files. The only thing you may ever need for you entertainement

Also, until january 31, you can get your free key for windows mediacenter from microsoft. Takes about 2-3 days to come.

Now, when you'll boot Windows 8, you'll get somethimg like Windows 7, only not as beautiful. But themes can fix that if it bother you.

So, which one you want depend of you. I first was reticent to get 8, but at 40$ for an upgrade, that was not a big risk. The update can also install as a stand alone if you upgrade you HDD and don't want to go to the pain of reinstalling an OS just to make the upgrade. Google is your friend here.

So, you'll end up having like 2 OS on the same machine. The normal desktop thanks to Classic Start, for you productivity works and other thing you normally do with a desktop and the modern UI to experiment and test your nerve. You will also get acces to windows store.. to fool around
m
l
January 8, 2013 6:24:08 PM

Win 8 is slightly better OS, system wise.
I ran around a dozen game titles already - it is fast ans stable.
USB 3 transfer rate is around 130 MB/s on W8 versus 50-60 MB/s on W7.
Copy files is better and stable.
Networking is much better and stable, including authorizations for volumes used by different users.
W8 has storage space, i.e. software RAID. It works and it is very simple.

The GUI is controversial. I think MS could've done better. I already got used to it.

In my opinion, new build should be W8, especially considering the price of $39.
Older builds with already installed W7 should not bother.

W8 is totally not similar to Vista - Vista was crappy OS with fancy GUI. W9 is solid OS with kinda "crappy" GUI. GUI is fixable, the kernel is not - that is the major difference.
m
l
January 8, 2013 6:37:42 PM

Brett928S2 said:

What various problems? I've been using 8 since the first beta and now run 8 pro 64 on my primary/gaming machine, and 7 pro on all of my HTPC's. Sure there are some hardware vendors not listing win 8 drivers yet, but the 7 typically work fine. As a previous poster said, just recommend VLC and if they can't handle that tell them to get a Mac.

I think 8 is super stable, I haven't had any issues with gaming or applications, and it runs better than 7 or XP on slow machines. I can't figure out why everyone has reacted so negatively to it. Just loaded 8 pro on a single core atom EePc and it runs fine.

Oh, and firing up your win 8 PC in eyefinity mode across 3 23" screens with the active Metro tiles looks awesome. Every guest in my house comments and asks about it.
m
l
a b * Windows 8
January 8, 2013 7:07:10 PM

Soda-88 said:
Yeah exactly, you're a salesperson 1st and tech expert last. Your answers are mostly bullshit that always steer into spend-more-money direction. I'm growing tired of your bigotry towards Windows 8.

I am a BUSINESSMAN who has built and repaired more computers than days in your life....

I have nothing against 8 at all, to me its a product to sell and make a profit from.....

I just wish it was a product that customers actually wanted....

m
l
a b * Windows 8
January 8, 2013 9:08:32 PM

Brett928S2 said:

I am a BUSINESSMAN who has built and repaired more computers than days in your life....

I have nothing against 8 at all, to me its a product to sell and make a profit from.....

I just wish it was a product that customers actually wanted....

I like this reply Brett good job. This sound like the Brett we all know, the good businessman that has good advice which toms need

m
l
a b * Windows 8
January 8, 2013 9:16:49 PM

Used the beta version for two days, removed and threw Disk in trash.
Bought a Upgrade version. Used for a couple of weeks. Swapped My win 7 SSD back in.

Only ONE real negative, and that is it messes with storage drive in that if you reboot to windows 7 Checkdisk will run and "repair drive". This is the ONLY problem I had, but is an UNFORGIVABLE problem.

My Problem, should NOT stop someone from getting Win 8 (does Have some Plusses), UNLess they want to daul boot.

As To Win 8 being like win 7, Sorry charlie it does share a common problem (along with Win ME) and that is it is Not excepted at the corporate level and for that reason will probably be short lived. It also has a FAR lower % of sales compared to Windows 7 at the same time points. 3rd party vendors are Blaming Win 8 exceptance (Low) for therir sagging sales. If you disagree that is your progagtive - BUT please provide Proof, ie Links to reputable soruces showing that what I've stated is Not infact true. Check Financial guidance - They could care less if it's wind 7, 8, or 9 -they just care about $ and Cents (bottom line effect).

While I'm NOT for or against Windows 8 vs windows 7. Be truthfull.
As one Professor stated " Buy Windows 8 and give as a present to someone you HATE" But this is useless as he really didn't give good reasons.
m
l
a b * Windows 8
January 8, 2013 9:22:23 PM

@Brett

Think again before you reply ok search what your saying
Ms is selling more windows 8 in a bad economy then windows 7 in a strong economy

Microsoft Corp has sold 60 million licenses and upgrades for its new Windows 8 operating system in the 10 weeks since its launch,
windows apps for 8 are selling fast. So I'd say more want it but cannot afford to upgrade.
m
l

Best solution

a b * Windows 8
January 8, 2013 10:36:44 PM

OEM versions of Windows 7 are identical to Full License Retail versions except for the following:

- OEM versions do not offer any free Microsoft direct support from Microsoft support personnel

- OEM licenses are tied to the very first computer you install and activate it on

- OEM versions allow all hardware upgrades except for an upgrade to a different model motherboard

- OEM versions cannot be used to directly upgrade from an older Windows operating system

Microsoft.com ^

OEM vs. Retail

OEM Windows 7 comes preinstalled on computers. This is the cheapest way to buy windows. Large PC manufacturers like Dell, HP etc. (collectively called royalty OEMs) install windows on millions of such PCs. The main characteristics of such systems are:

The license agreement and support agreement is between you and the PC maker, not MS.

Activation by the end user is not required. Windows is preactivated at the factory by the OEM using images and standard SLP keys.

Your copy of windows is locked to that PC. The license is not transferable.

OEM system builder is what you get when you buy from say Newegg or from a local "white box" vendor. It too has the characteristics of Royalty OEM windows. Although it is possible for an individual to buy a System Builder copy, the license requires that the software be installed using the OPK (OEM preinstall kit) and then resold.

Retail version is what you buy from a retailer like Amazon or Bestbuy. Its a full price version that comes packaged in a retail box with a retail product key. It has to be activated online via MS servers using the key on the box, it is not tied to the PC it was first installed on, though it can only be used on a single computer at a time. And, MS directly provides the support for it. It is also more expensive than OEM copies.

As far as functionality is concerned, theres no difference between any of the versions above, given any specific edition (i.e. between OEM pro and retail pro, or between OEM ultimate and retail ultimate).

sevenforums.com

Like stated above 8 OEM is a whole different ballgame.

License agreement transfer of license of Windows 8
http://personaluselicense.windows.com/en-US/default.asp...
January 9, 2013 1:21:15 AM

Weighing in. Windows 8 makes me want to hit things. It's terrible.

I regularly use XP, Vista, 7, Mac OS, and just bought 8. Its the worst on the list.

Metro interface would be ok if they fully committed to it, however they didnt -- its just like the phone interface pasted on over a nerfed windows 7.
m
l
a b * Windows 8
January 9, 2013 1:26:04 AM

SR-71 Blackbird said:
OEM versions of Windows 7 are identical to Full License Retail versions except for the following:

- OEM versions do not offer any free Microsoft direct support from Microsoft support personnel

- OEM licenses are tied to the very first computer you install and activate it on

- OEM versions allow all hardware upgrades except for an upgrade to a different model motherboard

- OEM versions cannot be used to directly upgrade from an older Windows operating system

Microsoft.com ^

OEM vs. Retail

OEM Windows 7 comes preinstalled on computers. This is the cheapest way to buy windows. Large PC manufacturers like Dell, HP etc. (collectively called royalty OEMs) install windows on millions of such PCs. The main characteristics of such systems are:

The license agreement and support agreement is between you and the PC maker, not MS.

Activation by the end user is not required. Windows is preactivated at the factory by the OEM using images and standard SLP keys.

Your copy of windows is locked to that PC. The license is not transferable.

OEM system builder is what you get when you buy from say Newegg or from a local "white box" vendor. It too has the characteristics of Royalty OEM windows. Although it is possible for an individual to buy a System Builder copy, the license requires that the software be installed using the OPK (OEM preinstall kit) and then resold.

Retail version is what you buy from a retailer like Amazon or Bestbuy. Its a full price version that comes packaged in a retail box with a retail product key. It has to be activated online via MS servers using the key on the box, it is not tied to the PC it was first installed on, though it can only be used on a single computer at a time. And, MS directly provides the support for it. It is also more expensive than OEM copies.

As far as functionality is concerned, theres no difference between any of the versions above, given any specific edition (i.e. between OEM pro and retail pro, or between OEM ultimate and retail ultimate).

sevenforums.com

Like stated above 8 OEM is a whole different ballgame.

License agreement transfer of license of windows 8 http://personaluselicense.windows.com/en-US/default.asp...
One more reason win 8 is that much better then 7
m
l
a b * Windows 8
January 9, 2013 1:29:34 AM

Thanks for the link gomerpile!
m
l
a b * Windows 8
January 9, 2013 1:37:48 AM

Thank for the info of the license I did not know that oem license was not transferable. My copy of win 7 is retail.
m
l
a b * Windows 8
January 9, 2013 2:14:01 AM

Ok got off the phone with 24 hour tech support for MS win 7 license can be transferred
IF MOTHER BOARD BECOMES DEFECTIVE. or any other defects. but cannot be used for upgrades.

Difference Between a Full License and an OEM License
OEM licenses of Windows:
are bound to the first computer installed on and are not transferable
cannot do an in place upgrade from older versions of Windows
offer no free support from Microsoft
allow hardware upgrades of all components except for the motherboard ,unless because the original motherboard becomes defective
m
l
January 9, 2013 3:31:25 AM

Best answer selected by Pickettkid.
m
l
January 9, 2013 3:35:35 AM

Thanks for all the support guys. The rest of my parts get here on Thursay. To update you all I was still torn after what was said here. I decided I wanted to go with what I knew would work so I got the Windows 7 OEM version.

I have been reading around different forums and am curious as to what you guys think about the viability of installing the W7 OEM and then purchasing and downloading the Pro version of W8 based off of the upgrade promotion but just saving the file rather than installing it on my system. This way I feel I get the best of both worlds and will be able to upgrade when I feel like W8 is out of this "beta" stage. What do you guys think about this plan? Or is what I have understood from other forums actually impossible to do?

Once again thanks for the help guys!
m
l
January 9, 2013 4:22:21 AM

deadlockedworld said:
Weighing in.
Quote:
Windows 8 makes me want to hit things
. It's terrible.

I regularly use XP, Vista, 7, Mac OS, and just bought 8. Its the worst on the list.

Metro interface would be ok if they fully committed to it, however they didnt -- its just like the phone interface pasted on over a nerfed windows 7.

Hopefully nobody was hurt
m
l
January 9, 2013 9:17:38 AM

gomerpile said:
Ok got off the phone with 24 hour tech support for MS win 7 license can be transferred
IF MOTHER BOARD BECOMES DEFECTIVE. or any other defects. but cannot be used for upgrades.

Difference Between a Full License and an OEM License
OEM licenses of Windows:
are bound to the first computer installed on and are not transferable
cannot do an in place upgrade from older versions of Windows
offer no free support from Microsoft
allow hardware upgrades of all components except for the motherboard ,unless because the original motherboard becomes defective

Thanks, I used video live with MS tech support with the information about my new motherboard, receipts of motherboard, My OEM of windows 7 was activated on my new motherboard.
m
l
a b * Windows 8
January 9, 2013 11:09:59 AM

Pickettkid - That's what I did. Purchased a copy of Win 8 upgrade. Although I did Installand use for a couple of weeks. My primary intent was to get a copy at the lower price and Keep on Hand.
m
l
January 9, 2013 11:21:25 AM

schnitter said:

and a wise man speaks!...
the VLC player is great!... i use it for all of my "web content"... very easy to fast forward/preview to the good stuff.
m
l
!