I've 6 gb ram (4gb usabe)

bledi

Distinguished
Nov 2, 2011
Hello,
I've a dell precision 490, ive increase my ram to 6 gb but i see that only my 4 gb are usable, ive try to enter to msconfig.exe to change boot but nothing change.Ive update my bios but nothing change too.I dont know what to do and pleaese need help.Thank You (sorry for my english)

videogamerign

Distinguished
Jan 28, 2009
Did you see that it is set to 64-Bit in the properties screen of my computer or are you taking the manufacturers word for it. Please post an image.

videogamerign

Distinguished
Jan 28, 2009
Check your Bios to see if you can set your memory to Single channel, if it is set to dual channel it will not recognise the other stick. Also you can try to remove all of the ram and reseat them to see if this will get recognised when this is done.

bledi

Distinguished
Nov 2, 2011
Ive check my bios and i cant set my memory to Signle Channel it show me None of these filds are changeable.My memory actually is DUAL CHANNEL

videogamerign

Distinguished
Jan 28, 2009
This is your problem then. One way to fix this is to move your ram around, it will have to rescan the Hardware and should set this to Single channel.

videogamerign

Distinguished
Jan 28, 2009
Most of the time when you are working with dual channel it is recomended to get dual channel kits as this is faster than single channel mode. You may want to return the single stick and get a dual channel kit, it should not bee much more if there is a change in price at all.

bledi

Distinguished
Nov 2, 2011
to move all ram and power my pc without ram?and after that put it in?im sorry but i dont get from this stuf

videogamerign

Distinguished
Jan 28, 2009
Their should be four slots to put ram on the computer, take out the ram and move where they are located in the ram slots. Take them all out and then place them back in in different spots.

It won't run in dual channel mode with 3 sticks of memory, but I don't think that is your problem here. 3 sticks will work just fine in single channel mode. Look for something in the BIOS called "memory remapping" or something similar. If you have the option, then check to see if you have "software remapping" and "hardware remapping". If you have both, enable hardware remapping, if you have don't have a choice, then just enable remapping. Older boards sometimes had this feature and you had to enable it to remap memory above certain addresses or you couldn't use all of it.
But please continue to do what you are already doing by testing each of the sticks to make sure they all work by themselves, and you have them in the correct slots.

bledi

Distinguished
Nov 2, 2011

Yes the sticks are all correct ive test them all

videogamerign

Distinguished
Jan 28, 2009
Try taking out one of the sticks that was in there previously and then running it with just 2 sticks. The one new one and one old one. See if it is recognised then.

bledi

Distinguished
Nov 2, 2011

i cant resolve my problem.pls help me someone