Sign in with
Your question

I've 6 gb ram (4gb usabe)

Last response: in Motherboards
November 2, 2011 5:53:37 PM

Hello,
I've a dell precision 490, ive increase my ram to 6 gb but i see that only my 4 gb are usable, ive try to enter to msconfig.exe to change boot but nothing change.Ive update my bios but nothing change too.I dont know what to do and pleaese need help.Thank You (sorry for my english)

More about : ram 4gb usabe

November 2, 2011 5:55:50 PM

What type of OS? If 32 bit you can only use 4gb.
November 2, 2011 5:57:33 PM

64 bit windows 7 ultimate
Related resources
November 2, 2011 5:58:15 PM

pls i need help how to resolve this problem
November 2, 2011 6:05:07 PM

Did you see that it is set to 64-Bit in the properties screen of my computer or are you taking the manufacturers word for it. Please post an image.
November 2, 2011 6:22:38 PM

Did you add one DIMM or 2? Also is your current ram setup in Dual Channel mode?
November 2, 2011 6:27:35 PM

I add one ram 2gb. im sorry i dont know what is Dual Channel mode
November 2, 2011 6:44:01 PM

pls i need an answer to solve my problem!
November 2, 2011 6:45:59 PM

Check your Bios to see if you can set your memory to Single channel, if it is set to dual channel it will not recognise the other stick. Also you can try to remove all of the ram and reseat them to see if this will get recognised when this is done.
November 2, 2011 6:48:22 PM

ok ill try right now.Thank you Videogamerign
November 2, 2011 6:56:16 PM

Ive check my bios and i cant set my memory to Signle Channel it show me None of these filds are changeable.My memory actually is DUAL CHANNEL
November 2, 2011 7:10:44 PM

This is your problem then. One way to fix this is to move your ram around, it will have to rescan the Hardware and should set this to Single channel.
November 2, 2011 7:12:13 PM

Most of the time when you are working with dual channel it is recomended to get dual channel kits as this is faster than single channel mode. You may want to return the single stick and get a dual channel kit, it should not bee much more if there is a change in price at all.
November 2, 2011 7:13:41 PM

to move all ram and power my pc without ram?and after that put it in?im sorry but i dont get from this stuf
November 2, 2011 7:22:29 PM

No, turn off the comptuer and move the slots that the ram is in, then turn it back on.
November 2, 2011 7:25:06 PM

to move the slots? im confussed
November 2, 2011 7:28:25 PM

Their should be four slots to put ram on the computer, take out the ram and move where they are located in the ram slots. Take them all out and then place them back in in different spots.
November 2, 2011 7:29:50 PM

ok man thank you.ill try it right now.thanks a lot.hope to resolve my problem
a b V Motherboard
November 2, 2011 7:36:55 PM

It won't run in dual channel mode with 3 sticks of memory, but I don't think that is your problem here. 3 sticks will work just fine in single channel mode. Look for something in the BIOS called "memory remapping" or something similar. If you have the option, then check to see if you have "software remapping" and "hardware remapping". If you have both, enable hardware remapping, if you have don't have a choice, then just enable remapping. Older boards sometimes had this feature and you had to enable it to remap memory above certain addresses or you couldn't use all of it.
But please continue to do what you are already doing by testing each of the sticks to make sure they all work by themselves, and you have them in the correct slots.
November 2, 2011 7:37:00 PM

ive done this step but the problem is still.I dont know what to do more??:( 
November 2, 2011 7:43:45 PM

jitpublisher said:
It won't run in dual channel mode with 3 sticks of memory, but I don't think that is your problem here. 3 sticks will work just fine in single channel mode. Look for something in the BIOS called "memory remapping" or something similar. If you have the option, then check to see if you have "software remapping" and "hardware remapping". If you have both, enable hardware remapping, if you have don't have a choice, then just enable remapping. Older boards sometimes had this feature and you had to enable it to remap memory above certain addresses or you couldn't use all of it.
But please continue to do what you are already doing by testing each of the sticks to make sure they all work by themselves, and you have them in the correct slots.

Yes the sticks are all correct ive test them all
November 2, 2011 7:44:38 PM

Try taking out one of the sticks that was in there previously and then running it with just 2 sticks. The one new one and one old one. See if it is recognised then.
November 2, 2011 7:45:41 PM

If the sticks are not in the correct order then the mobo should reset it to single channel mode.
November 2, 2011 8:50:03 PM

videogamerign said:
If the sticks are not in the correct order then the mobo should reset it to single channel mode.

i cant resolve my problem.pls help me someone
November 3, 2011 1:21:04 PM

Take it to Best Buy and have them fix it
a b V Motherboard
November 3, 2011 1:31:41 PM

how much max memory your motherboard support.
November 3, 2011 2:07:55 PM

pro-gamer said:
how much max memory your motherboard support.

16gb it has 8 slot
a b V Motherboard
November 3, 2011 2:15:57 PM

ok. remove your cpu and check all the pins if one of them were bent then straighten it carefully. try now
November 3, 2011 2:21:19 PM

pro-gamer said:
ok. remove your cpu and check all the pins if one of them were bent then straighten it carefully. try now

ive try this i clean but nothing different
a b V Motherboard
November 3, 2011 2:23:16 PM

hmmm, have you check with single ram stick.
November 3, 2011 2:24:32 PM

yes and it works
November 3, 2011 2:26:07 PM

Ive done the ram replacemant.
If i put the new one (2gb smasung)+(2gb qimoda) it works with 4 gb ram,
if i put the old (2gb qimoda)+(2gb qimoda) it works with 4 gb ram too.
but if i put (2gb smasung)+(2gb qimoda)+)+(2gb qimoda) it show this:

Alert! Memory configuration mismatch.
Please ender Setup for Memory Info details.
Strike the F1 key to continue, F2 to run the setup utility.
_
i press F1 to continue end run in windows and i see that i ve installed 6 gb ram and 4 gb ram are in use.

if i press F2 to run setup utility to memory info,
it show me this tab:
DIMM 1: 2 GB SIZE; ECC YES; RANK 2; TYPE FBD
DIMM 2: 2 GB SIZE; ECC YES; RANK 2; TYPE FBD
DIMM 3: 2 GB SIZE; ECC YES; RANK 2; TYPE FBD
Installed memory = 4.0gb
Memory channel mode = dual

And above this tab sho that:
None of these fields are changeable

PLEASE NEED HELP TO RESOLVE MY PROBLEM.THAKS A LOT
November 3, 2011 2:30:30 PM

someone told me that is bios problem ive done the update but it show that again, someone others told me to remove the batery in cpu and after that my bios is going to reset to the fabric mode but i dot this is good idea i dont know>>??
a b V Motherboard
November 3, 2011 2:38:47 PM

so 4gb qimoda+4gb qimoda works fine and when you put 2gb samsung then still it show 4gb so the solution is get another 2gb qimoda manufacturer may be your mobo doesn't support mix manufacturer.
November 3, 2011 2:43:55 PM

i dont think ive try 2 gb qimoda + 2 gb Samsung it works and show 4 gb ram
a b V Motherboard
November 3, 2011 2:56:10 PM

yes system can show it works but slots can't recognise.
November 3, 2011 2:58:47 PM

i dont know what to say im not an expert and i dont know what to do the ram is equail in serial but only the manufactory change.booo?
a b V Motherboard
November 3, 2011 3:07:19 PM

that's what i said may be your mobo doesn't support different manufacturer of rams yes your system can show that its work but your slots cannot recognize different manufacturer e.g you have 2gb+2gb of qimoda company and you add 2gb samsung so the samsung can't recognize by your slots.
November 3, 2011 3:15:14 PM

Thing which makes me wonder is why it works 2gb samsung + 2 gb Qimoda
a c 121 V Motherboard
November 3, 2011 3:15:43 PM

just throwing this out there....

He is not using a standard MB. 8 DIMMS and ECC RAM shows that.

I don't have experience with servers, but with the ECC RAM, you may actually have to have it in dual channel mode, where as on a workstation it can work in both dual and single channel modes.
November 3, 2011 3:18:32 PM

itzdanielp said:
just throwing this out there....

He is not using a standard MB. 8 DIMMS and ECC RAM shows that.

I don't have experience with servers, but with the ECC RAM, you may actually have to have it in dual channel mode, where as on a workstation it can work in both dual and single channel modes.

So what to do?? formating my OS resolve this problem???
a c 121 V Motherboard
November 3, 2011 3:29:44 PM

I can't verify this fore sure...

but it looks like you are going to *have* to use even numbers of RAM (2, 4, 6, 8 sticks) due to the error free specifications of server RAM.

Most standard computer MB's will allow you to mix things up, and use single and dual channel RAM, but servers are designed to be error free, so it won't do things that could possibly cause an error.
November 3, 2011 3:36:58 PM

ECC should have nothing to do with this. He is running the MOBO in dual channel mode and it is not letting him switch it to single channel mode. He needs to go to someone who knows what to look for and set it to single hannel mode to get it to read the odd memory stick.

Can you run the BIOS with one of the qimoda sticks out and see if it still shows dual channel mode or if it switches to single channel mode.
a c 121 V Motherboard
November 3, 2011 3:43:58 PM

It's an OEM board... It probably does not have any option for dual / single channel at all.

And I believe ECC checks for parity, right?
November 3, 2011 4:15:39 PM

None of these fields are changeable
a c 717 V Motherboard
November 3, 2011 4:26:21 PM

@bledi - this is your THIRD IDENTICAL POST!!!

Answered and Problem solved -> http://www.tomshardware.com/forum/300116-30-installed-u... use (3) Identical Sticks <or> modify the BIOS (Dell/OEM probably not possible). Problem is your Socket 771 MOBO supports only Buffered/Registered aka RDIMM and in PAIRS. Dell -> http://support.dell.com/support/edocs/systems/ws490/en/...

--
Post1 = http://www.tomshardware.com/forum/300102-30-usabe
Post2 = http://www.tomshardware.com/forum/300101-30-usabe
Post3 = http://www.tomshardware.com/forum/300116-30-installed-u...
November 3, 2011 4:41:11 PM

Hi.
newer Main Board works with 1GBx 1GBx 1GBx 2GB memory install.
but i don't know dell main board is.. may be main board does not support that i guess...
!