Hey,

About a year ago, I built a pc with the following specs:

PSU - Cooler master 460W Ultimate
Mobo - ASUS P5P43TD 775 DDR3
CPU - Intel E8400 3Ghz 6Mb
RAM - G.Skill 4Gb F3-12800CL9D
GPU - NVidia GTX 260 216*SP
HDD - WD Caviar Black 2TB

Originally, the RAM has been replaced twice as to the first time being corrupt and the second time having cold boot errors. The RAM is now shows as fine and passes Memtest86+. The computer is perfectly stable and works with no problems. The only time something happens is when playing demanding games. It will play fine sometimes, other times, within 5-30 minutes, the screen will randomly blink black for a second and the game will stop and then play fine again. Those blinks only happen for about a second each and you can keep playing after wards. The blinks occur after each other once started between 30 seconds and 3 minutes. Sometimes after the blink, the game will be rainbow and look really bright like there is heaps of light in the game and other times things disappear. That happens less frequently. Sometimes the game will crash, depending on what im playing (Need for Speed Hot Pursuit, Civ 5). Ive narrowed this down to what i think it could be. I think its either the PSU isnt big enough for the components in my PC, a heat issue which is unlikely unless 75 degrees celsius is too high for a GPU or a GPU problem (possibly corrupt memory in the GPU or just a bad GPU). Thanks for any suggestions

More about : gpu psu problem

a b B Homebuilt system
December 2, 2010 11:29:18 AM

PSU should be fine. I would suspect the GPU as well (assuming drivers are up to date)... May want to get your hands on another to test with. Good luck!
m
l
December 2, 2010 7:56:51 PM

I tested the RAM last night just to be sure and it passed 10 passes of Memtest fine. I suspect the GPU could be faulty, but I cant get another to test with. I was just looking around on some websites and the minimum power for my card is 25A on the 12V rails. I looked at mine and it has 2 12V rails, each running at 18A. Is this enough for the card?
m
l
Related resources
December 6, 2010 7:13:10 AM

So nobody knows or has any suspicions?
m
l
December 6, 2010 9:23:34 AM

sounds like a graphics card issue. the reason i say that is because of the flickering and the rainbow colourings that you mentioned. i think it's time you upgraded.
m
l
a b B Homebuilt system
December 6, 2010 2:16:29 PM

Do you know what kind of GPU temps you're getting in the intense parts of games?

Overheating GPUs can cause some odd issues, and when GPUs get close to 70-80C, each one responds a little differently. My GTX 460s would just shut down completely and the screen would go black, and my GTX 470s would cause some sort of blue screen/driver error and restart the PC.
m
l
December 6, 2010 8:13:20 PM

Hi I was just playin Dead Rising 2 and it happened about 5 minutes of playing and the temps were only 60 degrees celsius. So im pretty sure this isnt a heat issue. i was reading yesterday on a gtx 260 review that you had to have 38A in total on all 12V rails on your PSU. If you add my 2 18A 12V rails, it makes 36A. So in my opinion, the card just doesnt have enough power. Just slighty under. So im going to buy a new PSU in a week or two that has plenty of leftover. I'm getting a new one without testing the PSU and GPU because I'm going to upgrade both soon anyway.
m
l
a b B Homebuilt system
December 6, 2010 8:17:10 PM

Yeah, it shouldn't happen five minutes in. My overheating was after 30-60mins of intense gameplay (Just Cause 2 and Metro 2033).

I think a new PSU will solve the issue.
m
l
December 6, 2010 8:19:25 PM

yeah thats what i was thinking, anyways im probably going to my friends house this weekend so ill test his 500W silverstone powersupply and see if it still happens, my guess it will solve the problems
m
l
December 7, 2010 7:01:45 PM

OK, so im going to buy a powersupply regardless of wether its the problem or not planning for future GPU upgrades. Im planning on only getting a gtx 470 but for my PSU, i would like it to be able to handle 2 SLI GTX 580's. On the slizone website, it says that my choice, the Antec HCG-900 would be compatible for that configuration. What are your opinions and why? Also i have a budget of about $200 AUD.
m
l
a b B Homebuilt system
December 7, 2010 7:24:24 PM

Do you plan on getting 2 580s somewhere else down the line? If it's not within the next 2-3 years, I would recommend just getting one that will support the 470 and replace it all down the road.

Regardless, the GTX 580 draws 244W according to the Nvidia website, which means your PSU only needs to have ~750W for 2 of them...which has me questioning their information a little. I can comfortable run 2 470s on my 650W continuous, and they draw 214W max.
m
l
December 7, 2010 8:33:44 PM

Alright ill go with that Antec one, it seems pretty good. Thanks for all your help.
m
l
!