This PC will used for alot of gaming, mainly FPS and frapsing also.
Note that I'm buying and building for the first time so I need "guidance" lol.
Here are my final specs:
MOBO - Asus P6X58D-E - $240
CPU - Intel i7-950 OC'd to ~4GhZ - $319
CPUCOOLER - CoolerMaster Hyper 212+ - $35
RAM - 6GB Corsair Dominator 1600 - $179
GFX - 1GB ATI RADEON Gigabyte 6870 - $315
HDD - Samsung SpinPoint F3 1TB HD103SJ - $59
DVD - Samsung SH-B123A Blu-ray DVD - $69
CASE - Coolermaster Sniper Black Edition - $199
PSU - Corsair AX750 Gold Power Supply - $234
TOTAL - $1649
1) How easy with this setup is it for me to reach 4+GhZ on my i7-950 and is the 950 easily overclocked?
2) Are there any parts that you can think of that would perform better for less cost?
3) With the CPU Cooler, what is a good fan to mount either side (120mm x 120mm, preferably blue LED to match case )
most of it looks ok. You could get ALL those parts cheaper at newegg, but you probly knew that
1) 950s can reach 4 GHz. But NO chip is guaranteed any overclock at all.
2) I'd consider GSkill or Mushkin as cheaper than corsair if you're building your own
3) the hyper 212+ is designed for a single fan, I think. Best to stick single fan for it. Cooler Master might make an LED fan for it.