Sign in with
Your question
Solved

127 C temps with working fan/heatsink

Last response: in CPUs
February 27, 2011 8:13:45 PM

Hi everyone, I've got some strange problems with some upgrades on my computer. I had a Gigabyte GA-MA78GM-US2H board with an AMD Athlon x2 "Kuma" processor, as well as 8GB of mixed RAM (DDR2-800)

Recently I decided that I was in need of some upgrades so could keep playing modern games. So here's what I got.

Board: Gigabyte GA-890GPA-UD3H
CPU: AMD Phenom x4 965 BE
RAM: 2x 4GB Corsair XMS3 DDR3-1333

So I put my computer together, and it shows the Gigabyte Splash. I enter BIOS to check it out, everything looks fine, but there's a line describing an imaginary Floppy drive, I go to disable that when the BIOS freezes. I restart the computer and... Nothing. Fans spinning, hard drive spinning, but no display. So I searched the Tom's Hardware forums, and I read how stupid I was for not getting a system speaker. I quickly get a speaker and put it in. Now when I tried turning my computer on I heard 3 long beeps, and the computer restarted. I search the forums again to see what this means on this particular BIOS, since the manual did not specify. Several sites said this was a memory error. Made sense to me, so I pulled one of the sticks out, fired up the computer, and voila! BIOS showed a CPU temp in the low 30's, which I thought was normal, I even got to the Windows Boot Manager, asking me which installatiion I want to run. At this point I turned the computer off and reconnected stuff I had removed during the trouble shooting process (Graphics card, etc.)

Now I turn on my computer again, and it looks fine, I go into BIOS to tell it to use Graphics card right away instead of the integrated graphics. On an off chance, I checked the Sytem temps.

CPU: 127 C
CPUFAN: 3xxx RPM ( I don't remember exact RPM, just that it was over 3000)

I immediately turned the system off, waited a few minutes and tried again. I observed that the CPU fan was spinning, as were other fans. The BIOS displayed the same 127C. At this point I turned it off and came here to ask

What should I do now?

I'm certain that thermal interface material was correctly applied, heatsink sits on CPU, and is properly connect to motherboard. CPU fan is connected to motherboard, and there is 1 front fan pulling air in, 1 back fan pushing air out, 1 side fan pushing air on CPU/Motherboard.

My full specs are:

Gigabyte GA-890GPA-UD3H
AMD Phenom x4 965 BE
4 GB Corsair DDR3-1337 XMS3 (1 more identical stick not working, not in)
Diamond Radeon HD 5770 1GB
1x Seagate 500GB
1x WD 180GB
1x Seagate 2TB
OCZ ModXStream 700W PSU
Hauppauge WinTV HVR-2250
February 27, 2011 9:11:46 PM

What hsf are you using?
Related resources
February 27, 2011 9:25:19 PM

I intend to replace the heatsink too eventually, however there's been a new development! I was reading some other posts and started doubting that I had read the Celsius temperature, I became convinced I read the Farenheight temperature, so I restarted the computer and now it's giving three long beeps and does not go to BIOS screen! Now that means the second RAM stick has gone bad too!

So would this indicate a motherboard problem, or is it just the RAM? I'll RMA the RAM, but where does the high CPU temps fit in?
February 27, 2011 9:26:12 PM

endyen said:
What hsf are you using?

I'm using the Stock AMD heatsink and fan.
a b à CPUs
February 27, 2011 9:42:17 PM

I hardly think his issue is down to the sole fact hes using the AMD stock cooler, in fact its not his issue at all, as the stock cooler is more than adequate if correctly fitted as long as he does not wish to overclock. I would however definately advise you to RMA both board and memory.
a c 111 à CPUs
February 27, 2011 11:09:58 PM

I think it is a lie(bad sensor), My reason is simple, 127c from the time to start up and enter the bios is damn near imposable.

Is the heatsink even warm, even with bad thermal past application it can not get this bad(and since it was just booting in the 30s). I had a 955 BE and even with the fan off it took prime95 to get it over 70(but it gets there fast)

You can re-seat it.

My recommendation of an extra cooler on AMD systems is more for overclocking and quiet operation. The stock heatsink under load will get to 4000-5000 rpms. so load.

The fan is self is also thermally controlled so that it can slow it self down even with the board telling it go go all out.
February 27, 2011 11:32:39 PM

Ok, so I will return the RAM tomorrow, but I think I'll hold off on the board and CPU. I'll see if I can get it to boot with new RAM, then I'll go into BIOS and see if the temps still show very high. If they do I'll buy a new heatsink and Arctic Silver. If that doesn't work, I'll Exchange the board.

I'll report back when I get the new RAM. Thank you everyone for all the suggestions!
February 27, 2011 11:49:26 PM

The hyper 212+ can be had for $26 on amazon < I bought one today :) 
a c 111 à CPUs
February 28, 2011 1:08:29 AM

I see your 26 and raise you 24.12(cad) @ bestdirect :p 
a b à CPUs
February 28, 2011 2:11:47 AM

Ignore it, the reading is erroneous. Most temperature sensors have a 7-bit range, which means a range of -127C to +127C (going beyond the range usually causes the output to wrap around at the other end). The fact that this is showing a boundary temperature means that it is almost certainly just an unused sensor which is being read and labelled wrongly as the CPU temp. It could also just be a faulty sensor.
February 28, 2011 3:21:11 AM

nukemaster said:
I see your 26 and raise you 24.12(cad) @ bestdirect :p 

Thanks everyone, I'll let you know more tomorrow (technically today), but I wanted to point out tsp I found that particular heatsink at my local MicroCenter for 23.99 :hello: 
February 28, 2011 10:40:14 PM

Hey everyone, I returned the memory today and exchanged it for a fresh set. I put into my computer and powered it up. I put 1 stick into the "blue" channel and left the other one in it's case. I powered it up and I got 3 long beeps and then my computer restarted continuously. I suspected that the "blue" channel might be bad, so I took the first stick out and put the second stick into the "white" channel. The same 3 long beeps + restart. At this point I think it is either the CPU or the Motherboard. Which should I return, or both? (Sorry if this has moved out of the strictly CPU sub-category).

Best solution

February 28, 2011 10:55:54 PM

here's a good trial and error test:
I had the same situation of the computer turning on and off over and over again
1. Unplug the cpu power cord
2. Start up the computer and see if the motherboard starts up (fans run continuously, LEDs light up) and won't turn off (or if it's still turning on and off continuously)
3. If the motherboard turns on with the fans and stuff spinning, it's your CPU's problem, if the motherboard doesn't turn on successfully (on and off constantly), it's the motherboard's problem
After that, if it is the CPU's problem, take the cpu out and see if there are any bent pins on it. In my case, it wasn't even the CPU's problem, it was ALOT of bent pins on the motherboard
so do what i told you to do
a c 111 à CPUs
February 28, 2011 11:36:40 PM

One other thing to lock at.

Some memory needs a higher voltage then the default 1.5.

For example, My memory needs 1.65. Now this is not normally an issue as most ram will at least post at 1.5.

If you have just one stick in the blue slot next to the cpu, what happens?

Have you for the hell of it just used the clear cmos jumper to clear it to factory settings?

Ohh yeah and all that good stuff dhongkool1 said as well :) 
February 28, 2011 11:40:43 PM

Did you install the fan to the CPU yourself? Check thermal paste. Too much is a bad thing. But a 127 degrees. I would think you would see some kind of failures myself. I also agree that it probably is a bad sensor. You may have picked up a bad RAM stick as well. Always check your Motherboards web page to see what is tested with that board for ram manufactures.
February 28, 2011 11:51:30 PM

I have cleared the CMOS once already. I have tried 1 stick in the blue channel next to the CPU with no results. I will unplug the CPU and report back in the next few minutes, again, thanks for all the advice!
March 1, 2011 12:16:59 AM

All right, so I pulled out all the RAM and unplugged the CPU. Fired up the computer and... no beeps! All fans spinning, LEDs solid, but no beeps. Therefore I should take this as a damaged CPU. However how was it damaged? Was it fried at 127c or did I do something wrong when I installed it? I'm pretty confident I did installed it right, I followed the instructions exactly! Perhaps it was just a bad CPU? I'll try to return it tomorrow, but how do I get it out? The thermal paste is probably glued to it and I know you're supposed to run Prime95 to loosen it up, but that isn't feasible right now...

Any ideas?
a c 111 à CPUs
March 1, 2011 12:10:30 PM

just unlock the heatsink(with that lever on the one side) and gently wiggle the heatsink it a left rotation/right rotation way. I never heat up cpus to remove thermal paste. They do not stick that well....
March 1, 2011 2:08:12 PM

All right, I'm pulling it out now and exchanging it a few hours. I'll post when the new CPU is installed!
March 1, 2011 2:23:00 PM

Uh-oh! So I pull the heatsink out when I realize that the CPU is stuck to the bottom of it! They're pretty firmly stuck together and I can't find. A gentle way of separating them! If I physically damage the CPU, I'll obviously be incapable of returning this! What do you guys think? I'll start searching the forums and Internet, but I wanted to update all of you helpful people!
March 1, 2011 2:36:35 PM

I've been reading, and I want to clarify that the CPU's lever was locked! There, as far as I can see, no bent pins, and the motherboard socket's locking mechanism does appear to work still! I've put computers together before (5, not counting this one), but this really takes the cake! Right when one problem is solved, another presents itself!

There doesn't seem to be much of a consensus online, though this has happened to others. Some say stick a screw driver between the two, others say a hairdryer, still others say use GooGone, and finally, twist it off.

I'm pretty lost by this point! I'll try the twisting first, but I'm not sure about the rest, I don't want to make this CPU un-exchangeable!
March 1, 2011 4:18:44 PM

I recommend rubbing alcohol or heating with a hair dryer then twisting.
March 1, 2011 5:49:28 PM

You should be able to rotate the cpu/hsf enough cold to get them to slide apart.
March 1, 2011 7:27:59 PM

I seperated the CPU and heatsink, exchanged them for a new one and installed it. Success! I booted into the BIOS and checked the temperatures, 35-37C idle, I haven't tried it on load, but while installing drivers it got to 44C.

Thanks everyone for all the help, I'd like to choose all your answers as best, but I think the advice determining the CPU vs Motherboard was the one that resolved this best! Thank you everyone!
March 1, 2011 8:06:26 PM

Best answer selected by Spartanrevenge.
!