Restarting loop with bricked video card on board

kosuli

Distinguished
Nov 2, 2011
Hello, and sorry for bad English.

I had flashed my MSI R6950 Twin Frozr III with wrong BIOS (yes, i am surely a dumbass) and it got bricked. Currently i just did disconnect bricked card and i'm using internal VGA of my i7-2600.

Motherboard is Gigabyte GA-H61M-S2-B3 rev. 1.0.

The problem is: i cannot turn on my computer with bricked card on board. I DID enable "Always Enable" for "Onboard VGA" in Advanced BIOS Features of motherboard.

If bricked card is connected to motherboard, it causes computer to restart instantly, even with cable connected to onboard VGA and no cable is connected with video card.

I need to turn on computer with video card on board to flash it back to original BIOS, via DOS boot drive.

Thank you.

As far as salvaging your MSI GPU, if you cannot boot with the GPU then you're SOL to re-flash so it probably an RMA issue.

BIOS for iGPU {Connect your D-Sub port aka VGA port on the MOBO i.e. NOT the MSI GPU}:
Init Display First -> Onboard
Onboard VGA -> Always Enable
On-Chip Frame Buffer Size -> 240MB+2MB for GTT or 480MB+2MB for GTT

The above will improve your chances to booting with a 'bricked' GPU...maybe.

kosuli

Distinguished
Nov 2, 2011

MSI 6950 does not even have D-sub. Init Display first worked, thanks!

Yeah, i'm preety sure i am SOL. Video card is not found by Windows, not sure if dos will find it. Maybe some manufacturer lock.

But restart loop was caused just by lack of ability to stream video out, am i wrong?

kosuli

Distinguished
Nov 2, 2011

It worked! Thank you.

The 'Boot Loop' (restarting) was caused because of a device failure to initialize, subsequently the BIOS is written to 'reboot' if certain devices fail or in other instances turn-off a failed device. The GPU is a primary or critical device and you have an infinite loop. :(