The only way to get 5.1 audio ?

Status
Not open for further replies.

buton

Distinguished
Jan 28, 2011
hi guys

for what i have read.

i have mobo with optical output, the mobo saids realtek 7.1 + 2 channel high definition audio codec...

my reciever decodes dolby digital an dts( i already tested via windows audio test, the 5 speakers and the bass could be heard)

so i conect the optical output to my reciever but it is just stereo sound and the reciever trys to(kind of) emulate, am i right?

so the only way to get true 5.1 dolby or dts, will be buying an external audio card x-fi with dolbdy digital live and dts conect pack?

or there is other way to do it?...

buton

Distinguished
Jan 28, 2011
nop the reciever does not have hdmi

but i have read that the games does not support 5.1 dolby digitial...

so the only way to get six channels out of the pc is analog?

buton

Distinguished
Jan 28, 2011
my reciever is a little alod, is a creative inspire 5.1 digital 5700, almost 10 years old and it works when the source is 5.1... has coaxial in, optical in, fourpoint din 5.1 and analog(rear and front)... i conect my pc through optical cable....

buton

Distinguished
Jan 28, 2011
ok i did that. the game sounds good....(optical)

then i conected the system with the analog ouputs to the analog inputs of the reciever and it sounds a little better... but it is just 4 channels...

is there anyway to force or my computer to encode the audio to 5.1 dolby digital and send it throught the optical toslink?

festerovic

Distinguished
Buton, as other stated, the only way to get 5.1 is analog or get a soundcard. If you go the sound card route, you can get something for around $100 that will encode game audio into Dolby digital and let you output out of the optical cable. As long as your windows sound control panel is set to 5.1 audio you will render all games audio in 5.1. But, music and other sources will still be 2 channel unless you use software to virtualize the other channels. Also, playback from movies, dvd and bluray that have multichannel encoded audio will play back in 5.1 too.

The feature on the soundcard you are looking for is called Dolby digital Live. I cant remember what they call the live DTS encoding, but there is one for DTS too.

festerovic

Distinguished
Dolby Digital Live
The on-board Dolby Digital Live real-time content encoder generates a Dolby Digital bit stream (48kHz at 640Kbps) from any PC sound source to unleash the full surround sound potential of your home theater system. Simply connect your PC to a Dolby Digital enabled AV receiver or devices via a single cable connection and start enjoying thrilling surround sound from 3D games, DVDs, music and more.

You can use the Spdif (either opti or coax) to do dolby digital live, I don't know what you are talking about, and frankly I'm confused about a number of conflicting sentences in your post dadiggle. He has a receiver that decodes DD, so let's get it a 5.1 DD signal. If you use the onboard audio's coax or optical, IT ONLY WILL EVER OUTPUT IN 2 CHANNELS, ...OR... it can pass through ac-3 or DTS streams to the receiver from DVD or other movie sources, but not games. It's because, while they have SPDIF ports, they don't support DD live (the majority do not anyways).

If you use a soundcard, and this is the only reason to get one IMO, is the output doesnt start at 2 channels and get virtualized to 5.1 or 7.1, it is rendered in whatever the output is set in the windows control panel; there are settings for all manner of speaker configs there. Then the signal goes to the receiver and gets decoded by the receiver into true 5.1. Not matrix. Not virtualized. In 5.1.

festerovic

Distinguished
If his board did DD live then you are right he wouldn't need a card, and I agree with all you have written. But the reality is that hardly any of the chipsets you mention, or any for that matter, have boards that licensed the option. Check out Realtek's page for codecs:

http://www.realtek.com.tw/products/productsView.aspx?Langid=1&PNid=24&PFid=28&Level=5&Conn=4

Notice that the wording on every codec that supports DDL: It is optional. You have to license it as a board maker to be able to enable it. That's why you need a sound card that does it.

buton

Distinguished
Jan 28, 2011
yes i read that about the ddl is optional to the mobo maker....

the x-fi creative sound card series have the dolby digital live option the license is 5 dollars i think...

i guess i will go analog for now via dolby surround...

great topic guys, thanks for your help...

festerovic

Distinguished
One last thing, another option is to use the analog outs, all three of them, connected to the receiver's analog multichannel input, if your's has it. That would sound the same as the dolby digital live output ie discreet 6 channels, but of lower quality. You originally said you wanted 5.1 DD or DTS, so you have to go digital for that. But to get 5.1 sound the mobos analog outs could work. You need 3 headphone to RCA cables for it usually.

MEgamer

Distinguished
Dec 19, 2009
battlefield outputs dolby depending on ur output connection. it does have the dolby digital intro in the beginning for a reason, it outputs dolby just like all xbox games do.

jsut get a soundcard and ull get a 5.1, or get an external amplifier with a HDMI 1.3 support.

realtek , itself cannot encode, but it can support encoded dolby files and BYPASS them.

the days of using dolby with SPDIF are long gone, if u want to listen to dolby the way it was intended to, either switch to DTS :), or HDMI or analogue is the way.

Ok, now I'm definattly getting my audio faq up and running, as the soundcard section is fast going downhill.

1: Very few onboard chipsets offer DDL support, mostly due to licensing issues. They can still pass through audio already encoded in Dolby, which excludes most PC games, but can NOT encode audio streams to Dolby in realtime. Its not a hardware issue, its a licensing one. You can still pass the normal 2 channels over a SPDIF connection, but not a 5.1 signal from the motherboard for this reason.

2: Analog > Digital. Sound is a natural wave, and it does not digitize well. Hence why I typically avoid any digital transmission method. Use analog whenever possible for the best possible quality.

3: Dolby and DTS are both lossy audio formats.

MEgamer

Distinguished
Dec 19, 2009

for 3. correction - except for DOLBY TRUEHD, and MASTER from DTS.

btw i hope u are talking to teh rest and not me.

buton

Distinguished
Jan 28, 2011
5700decoder-back.jpg

5700decoder.jpg

this is the back of my reciever, it just have two analog inputs front and rear, so it will be 4.1 i think. so there is no way i will get 5.1 analog right. my reciver will try to kind of simulate surrond...

MEgamer

Distinguished
Dec 19, 2009
Looks to me, you have 5.1 outputs, but not inputs; looks like if you want 5.1, you'll have to go the SPDIF route, which means you'll need something with Dolby Digital Live/DTS-Connect encoding support. As such, its looking like if you want 5.1 with that reciever, you'll probably need a soundcard.

buton

Distinguished
Jan 28, 2011

exactly i think there is no other way or buying a new reciever with 7.1 or 5.1 inputs... but i think the lest expensive will be a 100 dollar audio card...

Status
Not open for further replies.