Sign in with
Your question

New motherboard purchase, need help deciding

Last response: in Systems
December 2, 2010 2:54:45 PM

As the title says, I'm currently in the market for a new motherboard.

Currently choosing between these two:

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E168...

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E168...

Buying the Gigabyte board will save me about [EDIT:] $30 but is it a decent board?
I will be running windows 7 with 6GB of ram. Can anyone check compatibility for me please? (Samsung 2GB 2RX8 PC3 - 10600U - 09 - 10 - B0) I can't afford new ram atm, so it's really important that my current ram works with whichever board I purchase.

I plan to run a GTX 460 with a GTX 280 as physx along with my Athlon II x4 630 (AKA Phenom II x4 925) so I need the board to have high overclock potential.

Resell value is also a plus because I will probably switch over a few months after bulldozer comes out.

All help is greatly appreciated!
Thanks,

Matt
December 2, 2010 3:47:13 PM

I cannot go SLI because I need a M-ATX AM3 Motherboard.

75% of my games are Physx.
m
l
December 2, 2010 4:03:23 PM

So which would be the better buy?
m
l
Related resources
December 2, 2010 4:20:35 PM

Anyone else have input?
m
l
December 2, 2010 7:01:52 PM

agreed on the gigabyte board. Better overall setup and options.
m
l
December 2, 2010 7:03:17 PM

I've decided on the MSI since the Gigabyte has the ports next to each other, just noticed that now lol.
m
l
a b B Homebuilt system
December 2, 2010 7:07:13 PM

I wonder if you need the 890x chipset unless you want all the bells and whistles of SATA 3 and USB 3. If you do then thats fine, if not save yourself some money and take a look at lower range chipsets.

Also Physx is pointless really, there's no point actually going out of your way in getting a dedicated physx card, you may as well turn it off and turn some other settings up to compensate.

Also you're better off running 4GB (2x2GB) RAM in dual channel rather than 6GB (3x2GB, i'm assuming) of RAM in single channel. You will get better performance benefits out of dual channel and you won't even miss the 2GB difference as you're only really gaming.

You say you need UATX, then the only option there is the Gigabyte one as the MSI one is full ATX as far as i can see.

Have a look for an Asus board and see what they offer, i always prefer them overall.
m
l
!