Network disconnections

Tags:
  • Connection
  • Netgear
  • Networking
Last response: in Networking
June 1, 2010 2:27:09 PM

Hi,
I've got a cable connection from virgin. with a draytek 2820 plugged in, and piggy backed off that a netgear wifi router
the draytek is work, and on a 10.x.x.x network (split vpn tunnel, internet traffic breaks straight out from router)
netgear is my own, and on 192.168.1.x

the laptop and ip phone on the 10 network are fine, no disconnects
my pc keeps dropping the connection every 5 mins on the nose. and i have to either reboot the draytek, or right click on network connections to repair (rebooting the netgear doesnt resolve)

ive turned off dhcp on the netgear, so that there isnt 2 dhcp services running. When the pc is changed to the 10.10 network i get no disconnects. but as that subnet is monitored by work, I dont want my personal pc or phones on those addresses (for obvious reasons ;)  )

both routers have been upgraded to latest firmware.

i've tried a few fixes now, but its as though it stops resolving dns, as it advises 'resolving dns'
and flushing dns only also fixes it.

Anyone got any suggestions? the wierd thing is that it happens every 5 mins, can set your clock by it. so something is running to stop the connection.

Thanks!

More about : network disconnections

June 1, 2010 6:30:28 PM

Sammy78 said:

i've tried a few fixes now, but its as though it stops resolving dns, as it advises 'resolving dns'
and flushing dns only also fixes it.

Anyone got any suggestions? the wierd thing is that it happens every 5 mins, can set your clock by it. so something is running to stop the connection.

Any chance that your router is only giving you a very stupidly short Lease?

June 1, 2010 7:11:07 PM

Hi,
I've turned dhcp off, and given the 3 devices a static ip, in case there was any conflicts with ip addressing etc.
thanks for the suggestion though, anything else? Im beginning to feel like tearing my hair out!
ive tried changing the router ip address also to the end of the subnet so there was no chance of any conflicts.
!