Is this worth the upgrade for my CPU

I have an amd athlon x4 630 2.8ghz, looking to upgrade to a Phenom II X4 965 Black Edition 3.4ghz for 150 dollars. Is it worth the money to go from 2.8ghz to 3.4ghz. Will I see a noticable difference?

I'll be using this to play games like crysis 2 and bad company. I m also running radeon 6950 at the moment, and I don't want to waste money upgrading my CPU if there are minimal difference. Any inputs would be appreciated. Thanks!
4 answers Last reply
More about worth upgrade
  1. If your primary usage is gaming, then no it's not worth it.
    Most games are GPU limited,so upgrading the CPU from 630 to 965 won't give you a huge difference in performance.
  2. Maziar said:
    If your primary usage is gaming, then no it's not worth it.
    Most games are GPU limited,so upgrading the CPU from 630 to 965 won't give you a huge difference in performance.

Thanks for your response! great answer, I guess i'll hold off on the upgrade for now. Base on what you said, since games relys more on GPU, what case would be a good reason for me to upgrade from 630 to a 965? and is that extra + .6ghz even a big jump?
  3. Get a decent CPU Cooler and overclock your CPU and you will be fine
  4. dog321 said:
    Thanks for your response! great answer, I guess i'll hold off on the upgrade for now. Base on what you said, since games relys more on GPU, what case would be a good reason for me to upgrade from 630 to a 965? and is that extra + .6ghz even a big jump?

Getting 965 will help you in tasks like PS,3Dmax(mostly image/video editing software) also it helps in games that are CPU limited(they're few compared to GPU limited games) such as
    WIC,GTA IV,Prototype etc.
    As AstroTC mentioned,adding a CPU cooler will help you a lot in OC'ng your X4 630.
Ask a new question

Read More

CPUs