Distinguished
Nov 2, 2011
So today I just built a new PC

P8p67 pro
I5 2500k
2 sticks of 4 gb corsair ddr3 vengeance
Gtx 580
Coolmaster silent pro 850w

I turned it on and made it into the bios I then set the boot priority to install windows. Once I save and exited I see the red CPU led on the mb and then the pc shuts off. Each time after that I try to turn on the pc it stays on for a couple seconds and it turns off. Now if I do the jumper reset deal then I can get back into the bios and same thing happens all over again when I save and exit. When I am in the bios the red CPU light is off and the red boot led is on. Don't know if it means anything but the mb in the bios does detect the CPU and shows all the information and temperature which is fine.

BellyFlop

Distinguished
Nov 2, 2011
I had this happen on a build that I did. Found out that the motherboard was not compatible with the new sandy bridge chip, even though it said that it was. After going through two CPUs and two motherboards and one PSU. Speaking of PSU, I have had two of those suckers brick on day one of a build.

Does it have an onboard speaker that beeps at all? Is the hard drive properly connected? Is the memory seated fully in the proper slots? I've heard of builders not putting enough thermal paste on CPU, but I'm sure that was done as that is so vital.

Tiimg360

Distinguished
Nov 2, 2011
Whatever the default would of been, I didn't even look. Instead of wasting time I RMAed the MB and CPU so hopefully it was as simply as a bad MB or CPU. Hopefully Newegg doesn't take too long.

Gothams Finest

Distinguished
Sep 15, 2011
You didnt evan look? Thats poor

Well the memory was very likely to be your problem so you have more than likely wasted your time RMA'ing your MB and CPU

I have an almost identical set up to you and when I built it I had the exact same problem, and to fix it I had to lower the voltage of the memory which had been wrongly set by default. Oh well good look with the RMA :sarcastic:

TRENDING THREADS