om3gatronic

Distinguished
Oct 8, 2010
I installed my new gtx 480 today(finally got my new PSU) im my pc and something weird has started to happen. Before I get the choice to choose which account I want to login in to, a chunk of the screen is missing like its got a bad resolution.

Once I get to login part screen, the resolution goes back to normal. Anyone know whats up?, I tried installing drivers with no luck, I can say one think though the card almost doesnt fit in the tower, its a tight fit and Im thinking the problem could be caused by it been a bit loose.

Also, another weird thing that happened is when I was testing out some games with my new card the first time I ran metro 2033 I had between 70-110 fps. Now its down to been between 30-50-60ish fps, I never changed the settings so its odd.

Current setup

Intel Core 2 Extreme QX9650 @ 3.0GHz 3000MHz
4 Gig DDR2-SDRAM
GTX 480

What power supply do you have, and are both power connectors attached to the card? Try to reseat the card.
Definitely try to uninstall old Nvidia drivers, restart, then install the latest from the Nvidia website.

om3gatronic

Distinguished
Oct 8, 2010
600watt PSU which was suggested here by on the members. Both connecters are attached, I think might reseat the card like you said and uninstall the drivers, my previous card was a 9600gt and I never got rid of the drivers for it so that could be causing the problem I suppose.

om3gatronic

Distinguished
Oct 8, 2010
This is getting really annoying now. I reseated the card, changed drivers, done a clean install of windows and its still the same.

Bios screen up until the windows login screen still shows as a bad resolution. Would windows 64bit be the cause of this??. Before I installed the card I changed to windows 64bit because of the limitation on ram been allowed to use.

om3gatronic

Distinguished
Oct 8, 2010
Another thing I noticed my windows 7 rating is only 5.9 like it was when I had the 9600GT 512mb card installed on my machine.

I would of thought with a better card it would be higher.

I also notice that I rarely get over 40fps on games like World At War on highest settings, I would of expected more with the GTX 480.

Could I have a faulty card?, is there anyway to check if it was faulty?. Along with the resolution problem the average FPS I keep getting with games is starting to annoy me. Spent almost 400euro on the card only to have problems with it.....

ionut19

Distinguished
Oct 31, 2008

Not necessarily, your PC is rated by the lowest score witch would be your RAM or HDD score as it is in my case also.

Intel(R) Core(TM)2 Duo CPU E6750 @ 2.66GHz 6.6
Memory (RAM) 2.00 GB 5.5 -my lowest score
Graphics ATI Radeon HD 5700 Series 7.5
Gaming graphics 1783 MB Total available graphics memory 7.5
Primary hard disk 3GB Free (31GB Total) 5.9

om3gatronic

Distinguished
Oct 8, 2010
My stats are as below, must get a new HDD me thinks.

Processor Intel(R) Core(TM)2 Extreme CPU X9650 @ 3.00GHz 7.0
Memory (RAM) 4.00 GB 7.0
Graphics NVIDIA GeForce GTX 480 7.5
Gaming graphics 3327 MB Total available graphics memory 7.5
Primary hard disk 247GB Free (298GB Total) 5.9
Windows 7 Ultimate

But still though, no one has shed much life on my other problem. Must be unfixable??.

Those scores are pretty much the same as mine, except my GTX480 scores a 7.9.
What brand of power supply do you have? If it's a budget brand, maybe that could be a problem. You need to make sure that, in addition to the overall wattage, that the proper power is supplied to the rails. I'm hesitating to just say it's a faulty graphics card, but maybe.

"On your average system the card requires you to have a 600 Watt power supply unit. We recommend at least 40 Amps in total available on the +12 volts rails (accumulated)."

om3gatronic

Distinguished
Oct 8, 2010
The PSU I have is the "Xigmatek 600W SLI & Crossfire Quiet Power Supply", I was advised here on this website that this PSU would be enough to run it for the the budget it I had.

Link to PSU: http://cgi.ebay.ie/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=350317461304&ssPageName=STRK:MEWNX:IT

Also though, there is one more thing to know that I run the card in a PCIe 1.0 slot, not a 2.0 that is recommended, could that be the reason for the low 7.5 score?? and other issues?.

om3gatronic

Distinguished
Oct 8, 2010
I think I will just leave it then lol. The Bios screen problem isnt much of a problem since I dont use much in the bios, I was just curious as to what was causing it.

After checking online about the windows rating, it is something not to rely on since many others have the same issue as me.

One issue though is the fact that most my games will only run between 30-40-50 FPS and drop to 25FPS(sometimes) when in fast paced action scenes, this is all on highest setting of course.

om3gatronic

Distinguished
Oct 8, 2010
One more question. I done a test with the PCMark Vantage program and got an overall 5236 PCMarks, is that bad for my setup?, could it idicate some sort of problem?.

om3gatronic

Distinguished
Oct 8, 2010
Something must be wrong then, everygame I play always has low FPS even with the highest settings which are normally already preset for me.

The GTA episodes of liberty city in game benchmark showed I wasen't even using my full GPU/CPU power even with everything maxed out. All I was getting was between 20-35 FPS, I tried lower settings and still the same.

Same with most other games aswell.

Before I installed the new card I installed a Intel Core 2 Extreme QX9650 @ 3.0GHz
along with 2gigs of new ram, would that possibly the problem, something not seated right?.