need help with flash sync

Last response: in Digital Camera
January 18, 2005 7:49:11 PM

Hello, I have been trying to get my Novatron strobes to work with a
digital camera. It is an Olmypus 4000, it has no pc or shoe on it.
Hooked a slave to power pack, using internal flash to fire the strobes.
The olmypus will not see the flash from the pack. I have tried manual
set shutter to 30 sec. Camera flash firesn strobes fire no picture
except from built in flash. I have tried all the flash modes, wide
range of shutter speeds, nothing works. Must be a miro second delay
between flash and flash from power pack. Thanks for any ideas. Larry

More about : flash sync

Anonymous
January 18, 2005 8:07:03 PM

They work fine with my film cameras. And the fire every time with the
slave, but will give it a try. Thanks
Anonymous
January 18, 2005 10:34:32 PM

I have tried all the flash modes on the camera strait flash, slow
curtin 1 and slow curtin 2. The studio lights fire each time, so the
slave is orking. I have tried manual speeds and program. Still will not
scync. My camera dose'nt use IR focus. And from what the manual says
only preflashes on red eye reduction. I can feel a digital SLR in my
future.
January 19, 2005 2:37:21 AM

"vikinartist" <vikinartist@hotmail.com> writes:

> Hello, I have been trying to get my Novatron strobes to work with a
> digital camera. It is an Olmypus 4000, it has no pc or shoe on it.
> Hooked a slave to power pack, using internal flash to fire the strobes.
> The olmypus will not see the flash from the pack. I have tried manual
> set shutter to 30 sec. Camera flash firesn strobes fire no picture
> except from built in flash. I have tried all the flash modes, wide
> range of shutter speeds, nothing works. Must be a miro second delay
> between flash and flash from power pack. Thanks for any ideas. Larry

For the C-4000Z, you want a FL-CB04 cable that provides a pc-sync output, which
you can attach the Novatron to. Note, some old equipment can send hundreds of
volts through the camera, so you might want to check out the Novatrons before
attaching them, or use a low powered flash like the Sunpak DS-20 to trip the
stobes.

--
Michael Meissner
email: mrmnews@the-meissners.org

"vikinartist" <vikinartist@hotmail.com> writes:

> I have tried all the flash modes on the camera strait flash, slow
> curtin 1 and slow curtin 2. The studio lights fire each time, so the
> slave is orking. I have tried manual speeds and program. Still will not
> scync. My camera dose'nt use IR focus. And from what the manual says
> only preflashes on red eye reduction. I can feel a digital SLR in my
> future.

Olympus cameras like many other digital cameras actually fire two pulses, and
your strobes are picking up on the first pulse. You can get Wein digital slave
triggers that ignore the first pulse if you don't want to hook up a flash or
strobe directly to the camera.

--
Michael Meissner
email: mrmnews@the-meissners.org
http://www.the-meissners.org
Anonymous
January 19, 2005 4:01:45 AM

On 18 Jan 2005 16:49:11 -0800, "vikinartist" <vikinartist@hotmail.com>
wrote:

>Hello, I have been trying to get my Novatron strobes to work with a
>digital camera. It is an Olmypus 4000, it has no pc or shoe on it.
>Hooked a slave to power pack, using internal flash to fire the strobes.
>The olmypus will not see the flash from the pack. I have tried manual
>set shutter to 30 sec. Camera flash firesn strobes fire no picture
>except from built in flash. I have tried all the flash modes, wide
>range of shutter speeds, nothing works. Must be a miro second delay
>between flash and flash from power pack. Thanks for any ideas. Larry

Have you tried turning the input plug on the power pack around
(different polarity) Some of the Novatrons will not work both ways.
January 19, 2005 5:01:18 AM

In article <1106095751.830147.178360@z14g2000cwz.googlegroups.com>,
vikinartist@hotmail.com says...

>Hello, I have been trying to get my Novatron strobes to work with a
>digital camera. It is an Olmypus 4000, it has no pc or shoe on it.
>Hooked a slave to power pack, using internal flash to fire the strobes.
>The olmypus will not see the flash from the pack. I have tried manual
>set shutter to 30 sec. Camera flash firesn strobes fire no picture
>except from built in flash. I have tried all the flash modes, wide
>range of shutter speeds, nothing works. Must be a miro second delay
>between flash and flash from power pack. Thanks for any ideas. Larry

Don't know your camera, or Novatrons, but there might well be a delay for
things like redeye reduction, IR focus, etc. Most studio strobes are quite
slow, but at 1/30 sec, you should be well within their duration range.
Speedotron 4800's are about 1.250 sec., while your on-camera flash is probably
around 1/2000 sec. Question: did your studio stobes fire? The reason that I
asked is because some "peanut-type" slaves do not pick up the quick stobe of
some on-camera flash units.

Beyond that, I don't have any ideas.

Hunt
Anonymous
January 19, 2005 7:52:05 AM

it does really sound like the camera is firing a preflash - does it have a
flash exposure lock on it? if it does try hitting that and waiting for teh
strobes to recharge, then taking the shot...(BTW thats the only way I can
get my 10d + EX420 to trigger my strobe )

"vikinartist" <vikinartist@hotmail.com> wrote in message
> I have tried all the flash modes on the camera strait flash, slow
> curtin 1 and slow curtin 2. The studio lights fire each time, so the
> slave is orking. I have tried manual speeds and program. Still will not
> scync. My camera dose'nt use IR focus. And from what the manual says
> only preflashes on red eye reduction. I can feel a digital SLR in my
> future.

Anonymous
January 19, 2005 9:28:21 AM

On 18 Jan 2005 17:07:03 -0800, "vikinartist" <vikinartist@hotmail.com>
wrote:

>They work fine with my film cameras. And the fire every time with the
>slave, but will give it a try. Thanks

Sorry I reread the post and mis-understood. I thought you were not
even triggering a flash with slave and the Novatrons (amongst others)
will often only work when the slave is plugged in one way and not the
other.
Anonymous
January 19, 2005 1:37:39 PM

Thanks to everyone for your help. I will look into getting a flash
cord, and useing a small flash to fire the strobes. Next camera I buy
wikk have a flash socket on it of some type. I have worked in
photography since 1954. New at digital, but learning the hard way.
Thanks again for everything.
ZONED! wrote:
> On 18 Jan 2005 17:07:03 -0800, "vikinartist"
<vikinartist@hotmail.com>
> wrote:
>
> >They work fine with my film cameras. And the fire every time with
the
> >slave, but will give it a try. Thanks
> >
> Sorry I reread the post and mis-understood. I thought you were not
> even triggering a flash with slave and the Novatrons (amongst others)
> will often only work when the slave is plugged in one way and not the
> other.
Anonymous
January 19, 2005 5:47:39 PM

vikinartist wrote:

> Hello, I have been trying to get my Novatron strobes to work with a
> digital camera. It is an Olmypus 4000, it has no pc or shoe on it.
> Hooked a slave to power pack, using internal flash to fire the strobes.
> The olmypus will not see the flash from the pack. I have tried manual
> set shutter to 30 sec. Camera flash firesn strobes fire no picture
> except from built in flash. I have tried all the flash modes, wide
> range of shutter speeds, nothing works. Must be a miro second delay
> between flash and flash from power pack. Thanks for any ideas. Larry

I don't suppose the camera fires a pre-flash to figure exposure before
the main flash, like canon and Nikon DSLR's do? If so, the pre-flash is
firing your Novatrons. You may be able to use the camera on a manual
setting to disable the pre-flash.

Colin
!