Wrong Graphics Card?

Hi everybody,

I have just purchased a new PC with a GTS 250 512MB GDDR3 graphics but it won't play BF2...why not?

The game is very choppy even on low res.

Have I bought the wrong card?

Thanks

Adrian
14 answers Last reply
More about wrong graphics card
  1. That video card should play the game fine with the right settings. :) All depends on your other system specs, monitor resolution, and in game settings. But no, the GTS 250 isn't super fast. It's a newer version of an older generation video card.

Other thread is here:
    http://www.tomshardware.com/forum/300136-33-play
  2. A sensible answer! Thanks very much...I'll check the Direct X and monitor res. I tried to play it with all the settings turned right down and it was awful.

Thanks once again.

jerreece said:
    That video card should play the game fine with the right settings. :) All depends on your other system specs, monitor resolution, and in game settings. But no, the GTS 250 isn't super fast. It's a newer version of an older generation video card.

Other thread is here:
    http://www.tomshardware.com/forum/300136-33-play
  3. You might also consider switching BF2 from DX10 to DX9 mode in the graphic settings. This will improve performance a bit as well. :)
  4. maybe no drivers installed? just a hunch...
  5. oh and are you talking about Bad Company 2 or literally "Battlefield 2"?

Because they are two different games.

Battlefied Bad Company 2 = BFBC2
    Battlefield 2 = BF2

BF2 was released in 2005,
    BFBC2 was released quite recently

I still love the old Battlefield 2 more :D
  6. What's the rest of the hardware in the box ?
  7. N.Broekhuijsen said:
    oh and are you talking about Bad Company 2 or literally "Battlefield 2"?

Because they are two different games.

Battlefied Bad Company 2 = BFBC2
    Battlefield 2 = BF2

Good question. I totally missed that and just assumed he meant BFBC2.

If it's Battlefield 2 and it's performing poorly, there's probably something else going on. :)
  8. Quote:
    Of cousre it is a horrible card,only meant for playing sudoko .I hope this satisfies your mind and you donot start another thread asking same thing.

Dip, once again spouting nonsense. please stop.

the card should be capable of maxing out BF2 with plenty of excess frames. do you have latest drivers installed?

are you actually using the dedicated card, not the integrated one?

what PSU and CPU do you have?

do you have any background processes eating up cycles? (use task manager to check)
  9. If its bf 2 something is wrong.

If its bfbc2 then just go to video settings and set it to high or med, I run it on high on 1650 x 1050
  10. Quote:
    Quote:

Dip, once again spouting nonsense. please stop.

@whelspeak If you donot like my post then AVOID reading.I donot give a damm if you like my posts or not.I am not paid by Tom that everytime i post it has to be 100% correct.

If OP wants to goof around by starting 2 threads asking same thing then i can also joke by posting nonsense in his thread
    .It is not my fault if you cannot see the funny side of it.

Actually it could be regarded as trolling which is a violation of the rules and could result in a ban.
  11. Quote:
    ^That Ati 6000 rumour thread is full of troll comments.Then anyone who trolled in that thread should be banned.That kinda includes you.

But this is not that thread is it? And if you wanted all threads to be treated the same and the rules to be enforced without question then you would have been banned long ago for the language you have used in some threads let alone some of the insulting comments you have made towards other forum users.
  12. Back on topic you to ;) other Reccy sire will force his hand on both your bottoms.

And that GPU should play BFBC2 pretty well, its not THAT bad of a card, so i would driver sweep in safe mode, re-install the 260 Nvidia Beta drivers and make sure all other processes are stop into which are not needed and play away.

BUT what would help is the other system spec. CPU and PSU with RAM would be a start as it could be a bottleneck/problem somewhere else in the components rather than the GPU.
  13. Quote:
    ^Sir i respect you very much but i believe rules of trolling should be same for every thread.

I shall bear that in mind for future misdemeanour's and I hope you will too.
  14. Here's a comparison for you. I have a Core 2 Duo E6600 @ 2.4 gH / 2 gB ram / 9800 GTX+

I have the in game Battlefield 2 settings maxed out, and it works. I don't know what kind of frames per second I'm getting, but it's over that point where the eye can notice... 30 FPS? It's smooth as a baby's bum, anyway.
Ask a new question

Read More

Graphics Cards Graphics