Intel i7 720QM vs Intel i5 480M

lordeagle

Distinguished
Feb 28, 2011
Hi!
im soon going to buy a laptop which im thinking of using to game.
it has 2 versions and one of them has Intel i7 720QM(1.60Ghz) and the other has Intel i5(2.67Ghz). which one should i buy? i want the most futureproof cpu. the rest is identical.

Hello and welcome to the forums
I strongly recommend getting a laptop with sandy bridge CPU because it's notably faster than the previous Core "i" CPUs and has less power consumption/more battery life
But if you can't,then it depends on your usage.720QM performs better in multi-threaded tasks such as PS,3Dmax along with some games;whereas, the i5 performs better in single-threaded apps.It also runs cooler and gives you more battery life.

lordeagle

Distinguished
Feb 28, 2011
im mostly going to use it for homework, maybe a little bit movie editing and gaming. im not really critical on the battery life since im going to handle it like a gaming machine. the ones i can choose between are i7 720QM, i5 460M and i5 480M.

gordon_81

Distinguished
Jul 16, 2010
where are you from? we can maybe suggest a laptop for your price range that will be best for your uses from an online shop that is trusted and cheap

Because of Turbo mode when using an Intel® Core™ I7 720QM and running a single threaded application the processor can clock up to 2.8 GHz speed. So if you are not going to be doing a lot on battery then you find that the Core I7 720QM to be an outstanding processor for both everyday use and when you need some increased performance.

Christian Wood
Intel Enthusiast Team

lordeagle

Distinguished
Feb 28, 2011
Im from Norway, Therefore im going to buy a laptop from Norway since the norwegian language has 3 special letters.
the i7 seems more futureproof since i think i have heard somewhere that more and more software producers are beginning to create softwares which use more cores, but im not sure.

Go with 720QM then,it does better in video editing.