Computer cycles power on and off

I have a home built pc, approximately 6 months old and it is cycling the power on and off by itself. It will start up and with in a few seconds it will shut off, then start up on its own and shut down. It does this till I flip the switch on the PSU off, once I flip the switch on it doesnt begin this cycling till I try turning it off. Disconnecting the power switches and used the built in start button (Rampage Gene II board) with no luck. I removed the Ram, HDD, and cd drive and it still does it. I tried removing any unnecessary fans and checked to make sure the CPU fan is still working. Still no luck. What should I consider next?

cpu: i7 920
gpu: radeon 5830
NZXT Tempest case - I doubt it was an over heating issue, because the ambient temp in my apt is about 55 degrees and has tons of fans working.
mobo: Rampage Gene 2
ram: 6gb Ripjaw g.skill

It was gently overclocked but it was working stable at fairly low operating temps.

Any Ideas?
4 answers Last reply
More about computer cycles power
  1. Well the power supply was the problem thanks malmental.

But that leads to another question, why did my power supply burn up? It was a Corsiar tx850w should have been way more than enough to power my rig plus 11 cooling fans, right?

to test out if it was the problem I pick up a corsair gs600, this isn't the one I ultimately going to stay with because I have plans to put a second 5830 in the machine as well as adding a single loop water cooling system. Any recomendations on which one I should buy? (would prefer modular, a range of prices would be nice.)
  2. Like I said if you could offer a few choices in different price ranges I would appreciate it. Im on a fairly tight budget but I notoriously will spurge for my computer sake. $130 would probably be my top end at the moment.

Thanks
  3. Wow that Rosewill seems like a pretty good deal... not sure how I feel about the manufacturer but the price is right and the reviews are good. Think I'll try that one.

Thanks for all the help malmental.
  4. Best answer selected by cryzr.
Ask a new question

Read More

Homebuilt Computer Power Systems Product