travismontana

Distinguished
Sep 27, 2008
have a question for you guys and gals on here. I have the Iris-8 motherboard, my computer is the compaq presario sr5710f. I had called compoq like a year ago to ask about upgrading the CPU and was told it can only go up to a 4800+, but I have found a triple core processor that has the same specs as the 4800+. can I put in a triple core on this computer? or should I upgrade the motherboard and go from 32 bit to a 64 bit windows 7?

Upgrading an oem system is a waste of money in the long run. Your original power supply is only 250 watts, so throw it away or save for testing only. I recommend a package deal such as this: http://www.newegg.com/Special/ShellShocker.aspx?cm_sp=ShellShocker-_-761446-_-11032011_1. Or you can wait for black friday in the usa (only 3 weeks away) and buy another oem system.

travismontana

Distinguished
Sep 27, 2008

No my power supply is a antec earth basiq with 500 watts. so its pretty good

If you can't order from newegg, then link your vender and give me a budget to work with. You don't want to put too much money into an oem setup; I look for used combo deals on craigslist and offer about half the original price. If the listing is old, then sometimes the seller will let you have it. Just be sure it's a micro atx board; I recommend a ddr3 setup with 630 or 640 amd propus, or maybe an 1156 Intel board and i3 cpu. Can't go for the newest and fastest stuff; then you might as well buy a new system.