Sign in with
Sign up | Sign in
Your question
Solved

Gaming computer for $900 - Need to attain parts from a store.

Last response: in Systems
Share
December 2, 2010 11:46:50 PM

Hey guys. I plan on making a new computer but I need the to buy the parts from stores rather than online. This is because I need to get it before Sunday. I know everyone gets their parts from Newegg but I'm kinda in a rush to get one. Plus I heard Microcenter has good deals!

The two main stores I'll be buying these parts from are Frys and Microcenter.

My budget will be $900 without monitor, keyboard, mouse, and OS.

Also this will be my first time building a computer but I will have a friend who's really familiar with computers to walk me through building it. Is building a computer hard at all? I think people are just afraid to break something so that's why resort to buying a prebuilt computer, which is also a reason that's been keeping me back from building one myself lol.

Thanks for the help guys!
December 3, 2010 12:06:02 AM

nah build one yourself its fun, and not too hard! Are you looking for parts suggestions?
December 3, 2010 12:43:36 AM

Well with my CPU, I want to stick with Intel! But that's what the only thing I'm mainly familiar with. I'm familiar with other brands for other different parts but I don't know which is the like top(if you want to put it this way) brand and what not.

I also want to keep my computer really cool and quiet.
Related resources
December 3, 2010 1:17:52 AM

Well could try:


Intel Core i5-760 Lynnfield 2.8GHz 8MB L3 Cache LGA 1156 95W Quad-Core Desktop Processor BX80605I5760

GIGABYTE GA-P55-USB3 LGA 1156 Intel P55 USB 3.0 ATX Intel Motherboard

SAPPHIRE 100283L Radeon HD 5770 (Juniper XT) 1GB 128-bit GDDR5 PCI Express 2.0 x16 HDCP Ready CrossFireX Support Video Card

G.SKILL 4GB (2 x 2GB) 240-Pin DDR3 SDRAM DDR3 1333 (PC3 10666) Dual Channel Kit Desktop Memoryrd

Western Digital Caviar Blue WD5000AAKS 500GB 7200 RPM SATA 3.0Gb/s 3.5″ Internal Hard Drive -Bare Drive

CORSAIR Builder Series CMPSU-600CX 600W ATX12V v2.3 Active PFC Power Supply

LITE-ON CD/DVD Burner – Bulk Black SATA Model iHAS124-04 – OEM

Rosewill CHALLENGER Black Gaming ATX Mid Tower Computer Case, comes with Three Fans-1x Front Blue LED 120mm Fan, 1x Top 140mm …

Can use parts like these, on newegg they come to around $700, and uses an intel i5-760. If the price comes out to around the same at Microcentre or Frys then you have room to buy better graphics card etc.
December 3, 2010 1:26:54 AM

bloodymoth said:
Well could try:


Intel Core i5-760 Lynnfield 2.8GHz 8MB L3 Cache LGA 1156 95W Quad-Core Desktop Processor BX80605I5760

GIGABYTE GA-P55-USB3 LGA 1156 Intel P55 USB 3.0 ATX Intel Motherboard

SAPPHIRE 100283L Radeon HD 5770 (Juniper XT) 1GB 128-bit GDDR5 PCI Express 2.0 x16 HDCP Ready CrossFireX Support Video Card

G.SKILL 4GB (2 x 2GB) 240-Pin DDR3 SDRAM DDR3 1333 (PC3 10666) Dual Channel Kit Desktop Memoryrd

Western Digital Caviar Blue WD5000AAKS 500GB 7200 RPM SATA 3.0Gb/s 3.5″ Internal Hard Drive -Bare Drive

CORSAIR Builder Series CMPSU-600CX 600W ATX12V v2.3 Active PFC Power Supply

LITE-ON CD/DVD Burner – Bulk Black SATA Model iHAS124-04 – OEM

Rosewill CHALLENGER Black Gaming ATX Mid Tower Computer Case, comes with Three Fans-1x Front Blue LED 120mm Fan, 1x Top 140mm …

Can use parts like these, on newegg they come to around $700, and uses an intel i5-760. If the price comes out to around the same at Microcentre or Frys then you have room to buy better graphics card etc.


Thanks! I'm gonna go look up these items and see how much it totals up to. Hopefully I can make some room for some more improvement lol. Basically I really want to hit the $900 mark, making the best gaming computer I can get for $900.
December 3, 2010 1:41:06 AM

Best of luck to you! If you have any more questions ask away
December 3, 2010 2:20:17 AM

bloodymoth said:
Well could try:


Intel Core i5-760 Lynnfield 2.8GHz 8MB L3 Cache LGA 1156 95W Quad-Core Desktop Processor BX80605I5760
http://www.microcenter.com/single_product_results.phtml... for 169.99


GIGABYTE GA-P55-USB3 LGA 1156 Intel P55 USB 3.0 ATX Intel Motherboard
http://www.frys.com/product/6406442?site=sr:SEARCH:MAIN... for 119.99

SAPPHIRE 100283L Radeon HD 5770 (Juniper XT) 1GB 128-bit GDDR5 PCI Express 2.0 x16 HDCP Ready CrossFireX Support Video Card
Unable to find at Frys or Microcenter but they had it at Best Buy for $199.99. I think I'll need a different one since it's only $149.99 on newegg.

G.SKILL 4GB (2 x 2GB) 240-Pin DDR3 SDRAM DDR3 1333 (PC3 10666) Dual Channel Kit Desktop Memoryrd
I don't think Frys or Microcenter carry this brand. Any other suggestions?

Western Digital Caviar Blue WD5000AAKS 500GB 7200 RPM SATA 3.0Gb/s 3.5″ Internal Hard Drive -Bare Drive
http://www.microcenter.com/single_product_results.phtml... for $49.99
However, I hear everyone is talking about getting this Samsung spinpoint Hard Drive? Should I invest in that and if so, does anyone know which one I should get? Link to them is here.
http://www.microcenter.com/search/search_results.phtml?...



CORSAIR Builder Series CMPSU-600CX 600W ATX12V v2.3 Active PFC Power Supply
Could not find the 600W on Frys or Microcenter. I believe they only had the 750W+ versions.

LITE-ON CD/DVD Burner – Bulk Black SATA Model iHAS124-04 – OEM
Could not find at Frys or Microcenter.

Rosewill CHALLENGER Black Gaming ATX Mid Tower Computer Case, comes with Three Fans-1x Front Blue LED 120mm Fan, 1x Top 140mm …
Real nice case but Frys and Microcenter doesn't carry them :( 

Can use parts like these, on newegg they come to around $700, and uses an intel i5-760. If the price comes out to around the same at Microcentre or Frys then you have room to buy better graphics card etc.


Downfall to store shopping = Limited brands :( 

December 3, 2010 4:56:22 AM

Any other ideas? I'm completely open to all suggestions as I am completely new to all his lol. Although I am getting a general idea of these things.
December 3, 2010 5:06:27 AM

Hey there again, sorry for the later response didn't get back until now. I'll see if I can suggest things based on what these stores offer, would probably be more help :p  The 169.99 for the intel core i5-760 is actually better than neweggs at $204. I'll just add my suggestions below under the parts from before:

Intel Core i5-760 Lynnfield 2.8GHz 8MB L3 Cache LGA 1156 95W Quad-Core Desktop Processor BX80605I5760
http://www.microcenter.com/single_ [...] id=0341729 for 169.99


GIGABYTE GA-P55-USB3 LGA 1156 Intel P55 USB 3.0 ATX Intel Motherboard
http://www.frys.com/product/640644 [...] IN_RSLT_PG for 119.99

or
GA-H55-USB3 LGA 1156 H55 ATX Intel Motherboard at microcentre. Slightly cheaper card, similar but has only one PCI Express x16 port. Is also at microcentre to makes things simple


SAPPHIRE 100283L Radeon HD 5770 (Juniper XT) 1GB 128-bit GDDR5 PCI Express 2.0 x16 HDCP Ready CrossFireX Support Video Card
Unable to find at Frys or Microcenter but they had it at Best Buy for $199.99. I think I'll need a different one since it's only $149.99 on newegg.

Don't necessarily need the Sappphire brand one. Microcentre has a XFX Radeon HD 5770 1024MB GDDR5 PCIe 2.0 x16 Video Card for $140


G.SKILL 4GB (2 x 2GB) 240-Pin DDR3 SDRAM DDR3 1333 (PC3 10666) Dual Channel Kit Desktop Memoryrd
I don't think Frys or Microcenter carry this brand. Any other suggestions?

4GB DDR3-1333 (PC-10666) CL9 DIMM Memory Kit (Two 2GB Memory Modules) at microcentre

Western Digital Caviar Blue WD5000AAKS 500GB 7200 RPM SATA 3.0Gb/s 3.5″ Internal Hard Drive -Bare Drive
http://www.microcenter.com/single_ [...] id=0252592 for $49.99
However, I hear everyone is talking about getting this Samsung spinpoint Hard Drive? Should I invest in that and if so, does anyone know which one I should get? Link to them is here.
http://www.microcenter.com/search/ [...] submit.y=0

Up to you on the samsung spinpoint ones, I dont know much about them but I've been hearing the same as you. Maybe read around some on their reviews, otherwise go with the Western Digital Caviar Blue; You can't go wrong there, and remember a drive it also upgradeable later on.

CORSAIR Builder Series CMPSU-600CX 600W ATX12V v2.3 Active PFC Power Supply
Could not find the 600W on Frys or Microcenter. I believe they only had the 750W+ versions.

Well getting a higher wattage one is not necessarily bad, but usually more expensive. I looked at microcentres and they are fair bit more pricier than neweggs but ran across Gaming Series 800 Watt High Performance ATX Power Supply and it was priced really cheap; I was surprised.


LITE-ON CD/DVD Burner – Bulk Black SATA Model iHAS124-04 – OEM
Could not find at Frys or Microcenter.

Any brand would do here, this is just one of the higher rated cheaper drives on newegg. At microcentre try GH22NS50 22X Internal SATA Super Multi DVD Drive OEM it was priced at 17.99


Rosewill CHALLENGER Black Gaming ATX Mid Tower Computer Case, comes with Three Fans-1x Front Blue LED 120mm Fan, 1x Top 140mm …
Real nice case but Frys and Microcenter doesn't carry them :( 

yeah it is a nice case for its price, but microcentre does have quite a few listed depending on what your wanting to spend here. I'll list a few good suggestions:

Cooler Master
Gladiator 600 ATX Mid Tower Computer Case


Cooler Master
HAF912 Mid Tower ATX Case


Thermaltake
V9 BlacX Edition Gaming Mid Tower ATX Case with build in USB 3.0


And the full list here:
http://www.microcenter.com/search/search_results.phtml?N=4294964318



There I hope that helps, I know a little disorganized, but I bolded all my suggestions and made them all at one central location: microcentre. Have fun! Price should come out pretty good.
December 3, 2010 1:54:11 PM

Thanks for the help! Here is the current build:

CPU - Intel Core i5 760 for 169.99
http://www.microcenter.com/single_product_results.phtml...

Mobo - Gigabyte GA-P55-USB3 Intel P55 LGA1156 for 104.99
http://www.frys.com/product/6406442?site=sr:SEARCH:MAIN...

GPU - XFX Radeon HD 5770 1024MB GDDR5 PCIe 2.0 x16 for 169.99
http://www.microcenter.com/single_product_results.phtml...

RAM - 4GB DDR3-1333 (PC-10666) CL9 DIMM Memory Kit (Two 2GB Memory Modules) for 69.99
http://www.microcenter.com/single_product_results.phtml...

PSU - Corsair Gaming Series 800 Watt High Performance ATX for 89.99
http://www.microcenter.com/single_product_results.phtml...

HDD - Spinpoint F3 HD103SJ 1TB 7,200 RPM SATA 3.0Gb/s 3.5 for 59.99 - Not sure if I choose the right one but I'll be looking into it.
http://www.microcenter.com/single_product_results.phtml...

Case - Thermaltake V9 BlacX Edition Gaming Mid Tower ATX for 79.99
http://www.microcenter.com/single_product_results.phtml...

CD/DVD Drive - LG GH22NS50 22X Internal SATA Super Multi DVD Drive OEM for 17.99
http://www.microcenter.com/single_product_results.phtml...

This totals down to $732.92; with tax should be $793ish area or 793.38 if i calculated right.

Any suggestions for upgrades where I can spend about $80 more? Or if I need to replace some parts for better ones? I was thinking about getting a better CPU but I'm still not sure on that matter.
December 3, 2010 3:16:45 PM

Looks good :) 

As for the extra $80, if I were you I would stick with the i5-760. If you were wanting a better one, the intel i7-950 would be a good pick, but it is $299 at microcenter, and the same at frys. I would put the extra $80 into a better graphics card. For example: The Radeon 6850 or 6870:

XFX HD6850 1GB HD-685X-ZNFC at frys and microcenter is $214-225 ish.

Toms has a good review of these cards at: http://www.tomshardware.com/reviews/radeon-hd-6870-rade...

Also good pick with the Samsung drive, looks good! Also, depending on what you want in your computer or if you don't want to up the graphics card, could do a blu-ray drive? :p 
December 3, 2010 3:50:42 PM

bloodymoth said:
Looks good :) 

As for the extra $80, if I were you I would stick with the i5-760. If you were wanting a better one, the intel i7-950 would be a good pick, but it is $299 at microcenter, and the same at frys. I would put the extra $80 into a better graphics card. For example: The Radeon 6850 or 6870:

XFX HD6850 1GB HD-685X-ZNFC at frys and microcenter is $214-225 ish.

Toms has a good review of these cards at: http://www.tomshardware.com/reviews/radeon-hd-6870-rade...

Also good pick with the Samsung drive, looks good! Also, depending on what you want in your computer or if you don't want to up the graphics card, could do a blu-ray drive? :p 


Thanks a lot for the help you've provided! I looked up the i7-950 and found it to be only $199 at Microcenter and Frys still had it at $299. I added the item into the card and it gave me the price of $199. Here is the link: http://www.microcenter.com/single_product_results.phtml...

Now concerning the upgrades, if I upgraded the CPU to i7-950 and the GPU to XFX HD6850 1GB HD-685X-ZNFC, then that would be more $75. As for blu-ray, I don't think I'll have any intention of watching Blu-ray anytime soon haha. So upgrade the CPU and GPU and I'm good to go huh? Looks like it lol.

Best solution

December 3, 2010 5:58:43 PM
Share

Wow thats an amazing price for the i7-950. Just as a precautionary if you go with the i7-950, it has a different CPU socket (socket 1366) which means you need a different motherboard - these boards are slightly more expensive. Also, these motherboards require triple channel memory so I also chose one of these for you from microcenter. Below is a list of all the items:


Intel Core i7-950 3.06GHz Boxed Processor
SKU: 935320
$199.99

Gigabyte GA-X58-USB3 LGA 1366 X58 ATX Intel Mother...
SKU: 087296
$189.99
$179.99
after Rebate

Corsair Memory XMS3 6GB DDR3-1333 (PC3-10600) CL9 ...
SKU: 391912
$119.99
$99.99
after Rebate

XFX Radeon HD 5770 1024MB GDDR5 PCIe 2.0 x16 Video...
SKU: 643908
$169.99
$139.99
after Rebate

Corsair Gaming Series 800 Watt High Performance AT...
SKU: 752139
$109.99
$89.99
after Rebate

LG GH22NS50 22X Internal SATA Super Multi DVD Driv...
SKU: 421008
$17.99

Spinpoint F3 HD103SJ 1TB 7,200 RPM SATA 3.0Gb/s 3.5" Internal Hard Drive - OEM
SKU 751164
$59.99

V9 BlacX Edition Gaming Mid Tower ATX Case with build in USB 3.0
SKU 775379
Price: $99.99
After Rebate: $79.99 after rebate savings

= Approx. $900 give or take. you would have to double check on the numbers with tax etc. since I could not add the case, and harddrive to the online cart to total those in.
December 3, 2010 8:33:37 PM

bloodymoth said:
Wow thats an amazing price for the i7-950. Just as a precautionary if you go with the i7-950, it has a different CPU socket (socket 1366) which means you need a different motherboard - these boards are slightly more expensive. Also, these motherboards require triple channel memory so I also chose one of these for you from microcenter. Below is a list of all the items:


Intel Core i7-950 3.06GHz Boxed Processor
SKU: 935320
$199.99

Gigabyte GA-X58-USB3 LGA 1366 X58 ATX Intel Mother...
SKU: 087296
$189.99
$179.99
after Rebate

Corsair Memory XMS3 6GB DDR3-1333 (PC3-10600) CL9 ...
SKU: 391912
$119.99
$99.99
after Rebate

XFX Radeon HD 5770 1024MB GDDR5 PCIe 2.0 x16 Video...
SKU: 643908
$169.99
$139.99
after Rebate

Corsair Gaming Series 800 Watt High Performance AT...
SKU: 752139
$109.99
$89.99
after Rebate

LG GH22NS50 22X Internal SATA Super Multi DVD Driv...
SKU: 421008
$17.99

Spinpoint F3 HD103SJ 1TB 7,200 RPM SATA 3.0Gb/s 3.5" Internal Hard Drive - OEM
SKU 751164
$59.99

V9 BlacX Edition Gaming Mid Tower ATX Case with build in USB 3.0
SKU 775379
Price: $99.99
After Rebate: $79.99 after rebate savings

= Approx. $900 give or take. you would have to double check on the numbers with tax etc. since I could not add the case, and harddrive to the online cart to total those in.


Ahhh I see. Thanks for all the help! I think I got everything now. You've been of great help! :) 
December 3, 2010 8:34:13 PM

Best answer selected by Sakito.
December 3, 2010 10:43:38 PM

Thanks and good luck!
!