Sign in with
Your question

Inconsistent Framerate

Last response: in Graphics & Displays
October 8, 2010 11:43:46 PM

Hello,
The Elder Scrolls 4: Oblivion and every other game I play (Call of Duty Modern Warfare, Rome-Total War, World of Warcraft, Warcraft 3 and Frozen Throne, Microsoft Freelancer, The Sims 2 etc) will start off smooth and then 10 or so minutes into gameplay it drops. Often the framerate will drop briefly and then rise again or it will drop for an extended time (5min) and then rise again or it drops for 1sec and then rises again or it drops and does not rise again at all making the game (any game I play) unplayable.

I've ruled out viruses and software problems as the cause. I have also rules out hardware and cpu temp. I have ample hard drive space for swap files and I have done disk cleanup and defrag on all drives.
Beyond that I don't know what else to do aside from formatting and reinstalling my pc.

My pc specs are...
Operating System: Windows XP Home Edition (5.1, Build 2600) Service Pack 3 (2600.xpsp_sp3_gdr.091208-2036)

Language: English (Regional Setting: English)
System Manufacturer: AWARD_
System Model: AWRDACPI
BIOS: Phoenix - AwardBIOS v6.00PG
Processor: Intel(R) Pentium(R) 4 CPU 3.00GHz (2 CPUs)
Memory: 1536MB RAM
Page File: 433MB used, 2487MB available
DirectX Version: DirectX 9.0c (4.09.0000.0904)

I first noticed this problem on the September 14th so I did complete maintenance on Windows. I opened the computer and blew the dust out of it and checked to make sure everything was seated properly. I checked cpu temp at startup and it was still a little high but acceptable. I do not know what caused this problem as my use of the pc has not changed before or since then, and prior to September 14 it all ran 100%. I'd get a new pc but unfortunately that isn't an option at the moment.

Im at my wits end here. Please help

More about : inconsistent framerate

October 8, 2010 11:48:44 PM

What graphics card are you running? Is it using the latest Catalyst 10.9a drivers? Are its temps at an acceptable level?

By the way, do you use Steam? September 14th is just a day before the latest Catalyst drivers released. If Steam auto-updated your drivers for you, there's a chance that those are the issue. Either way, a bit more information about your system is needed to help figure this out.
October 9, 2010 4:56:15 AM

I'd normally point the figure at your virus scanner for that sort of problem, if you really did rule that out, then I would look at hardware incompatibilities or a weak/dying PSU.

On second thought, given how old your system looks, it's also quite possible it's an issue of RAM or an old harddrive without enough cache. Or maybe it's just dying.
Related resources
October 9, 2010 10:24:54 AM

I am using the ATI Radeon X1650... I don't have the latest Catalyst 10.9a, if you could link a url to where I might be able to download them I would appreciate that, that said I don't believe (but haven't ruled out) that its a problem with the drivers. How would I be sure about that?
Temps are a little high but they are also at an acceptable level too.

I don't use steam and I don't recall any attempted updates being run.

It had also occurred to me it could be that PC is coughing and wheezing its last before death and I am hoping thats not the case, but given the age of the equipment it could be any number of hardware faults, but why then would it work perfectly fine before September 14th and then start giving problems?
October 9, 2010 3:16:30 PM

Revan01 said:
I am using the ATI Radeon X1650... I don't have the latest Catalyst 10.9a, if you could link a url to where I might be able to download them I would appreciate that, that said I don't believe (but haven't ruled out) that its a problem with the drivers. How would I be sure about that?
Temps are a little high but they are also at an acceptable level too.

I don't use steam and I don't recall any attempted updates being run.

It had also occurred to me it could be that PC is coughing and wheezing its last before death and I am hoping thats not the case, but given the age of the equipment it could be any number of hardware faults, but why then would it work perfectly fine before September 14th and then start giving problems?

That's how things go bad. They just all of a sudden start giving issues.
October 9, 2010 7:36:51 PM

ok bystander but that doesnt help :( 
October 9, 2010 8:12:56 PM

Given how old your system is, I doubt you have spare parts around your home to test out different possible problems. If you had a friend with an extra video card, or power supply, you could test those in your system and see if it fixes the issue.

However, my recommendation is to replace the system.
!