Sign in with
Your question
Closed

ASUS Crosshair V Formula CPU Power Connections

Last response: in Motherboards
November 3, 2011 2:48:10 PM

Hey guys and gals,

Quick question: There are two power connections on top of the board for the CPU, one that is 8-pin with 4 being covered, and another to the right of it that is just a 4-pin connection. If I remove the cover of the 8-pin connector and plug the power cable will I have to also plug power to the 4 pin CPU connection located on the right?

I tried searching forums and sites plus manual and haven't found my answer so any clarification is greatly appreciated!

Thanks!
a b V Motherboard
a b à CPUs
November 3, 2011 3:29:33 PM

No, that second 4 pin connector is simply an additional EATX12V connector that ASUS puts there because it's an ROG board. You can use it but you don't have to. You should definitely use the 8 pin EATX12V connector with an 8 pin PSU cable though.
Score
November 3, 2011 3:35:21 PM

Thank you for the clarification that is what I thought. Haven't finished build yet due to the CT power outages but hopefully it will be done soon!

Thanks again
Score
Related resources
a c 221 V Motherboard
a c 107 à CPUs
November 3, 2011 4:29:23 PM

What is the make and model of the power supply unit?

What is the CPU model that you are using on that motherboard?

If you have only one 8-pin EATX12V plug (it may also be configured as a 4+4 plug) from the power supply unit then remove the cap that is covering half of the 8-pin connector on the motherboard and use that.

You don't have to connect a 4-pin EATX12V plug into the EATX12V_1 connector. I would recommend that you do connect it if your power supply has a second 8-pin/4+4 or 4-pin EATX12V plug and you're using a processor that consumes a lot of power like a Phenom IIX4 965 (HDZ965FBK4DGI) 140 Watts and you're planning to overclock it.
Score
November 5, 2011 12:29:07 AM

The PSU is the CORSAIR Professional Series Gold AX1200 1200watt unit and the CPU is the Phenom II x6 1090t running at stock clock settings atm.
Score

Best solution

a c 221 V Motherboard
a c 107 à CPUs
November 5, 2011 1:21:47 AM

brutalisk88 said:
The PSU is the CORSAIR Professional Series Gold AX1200 1200watt unit and the CPU is the Phenom II x6 1090t running at stock clock settings atm.

The Corsair Professional Series Gold AX1200 (CMPSU-1200AX) has two 8-pin EPS plugs that split in half.

Remove the cap that is covering half of the 8-pin connector on the motherboard and plug one of the 8-pin EPS plugs from the power supply unit into it.

For the 4-pin connector on the motherboard split the remaining 8-pin EPS plug into two 4-pin plugs and plug the appropriate one into the motherboard. Only one of the 4-pin plugs will fit into the motherboard connector because of the way it is keyed.

Plugging in both the 8-pin and 4-pin plugs to the motherboard's EPS connectors supplies a more even +12V current distribution to the CPU.
November 13, 2011 2:13:54 PM

Ok thank you for the information, I appreciate it!
Score
November 13, 2011 2:14:09 PM

Best answer selected by brutalisk88.
Score
July 27, 2012 8:04:33 AM

hello good morning to all!
I'm new to this forum and vengos is possible to ask for help
I bought the components to assemble my 1st pc gamer and I components are the following chart:

Motherboard: asus crosshair makes V
Processor: AMD Phenom II X6 1100T Black Edition Processor
Hard Drive: 120GB OCZ SSD
Graphic Board: Asus Radeon HD 7850 2GB GDDR5 DirectCU II Graphics Card
RAM: G.Skill DDR3 2133 PC3 Ripjaws X-17000 CL9 2x4GB DDR3 8GB
Cooling: Corsair Cooling Hydro Series H80 Liquid Cooling
Power Supplies: Cooler Master Silent Pro M 1000W
Case: Cooler Master CM 690 II Advanced

I think I mount the entire computer to be honest following passage of videos on youtube, what happens is that when I work I appear acendidas a luzes red plate (Red LED's Such As CPU_LED, DRAM_LED, VGA_LED, BOOT_DEVICE_LED) the perfect start all work fine but restarts just BELIEVE ...
I hope that I first created this evil post
thanks and regards.
Have a nice day that
Score
a c 328 V Motherboard
a b à CPUs
July 27, 2012 3:05:41 PM

Pedro Trindade said:
hello good morning to all!
I'm new to this forum and vengos is possible to ask for help
I bought the components to assemble my 1st pc gamer and I components are the following chart:

Motherboard: asus crosshair makes V
Processor: AMD Phenom II X6 1100T Black Edition Processor
Hard Drive: 120GB OCZ SSD
Graphic Board: Asus Radeon HD 7850 2GB GDDR5 DirectCU II Graphics Card
RAM: G.Skill DDR3 2133 PC3 Ripjaws X-17000 CL9 2x4GB DDR3 8GB
Cooling: Corsair Cooling Hydro Series H80 Liquid Cooling
Power Supplies: Cooler Master Silent Pro M 1000W
Case: Cooler Master CM 690 II Advanced

I think I mount the entire computer to be honest following passage of videos on youtube, what happens is that when I work I appear acendidas a luzes red plate (Red LED's Such As CPU_LED, DRAM_LED, VGA_LED, BOOT_DEVICE_LED) the perfect start all work fine but restarts just BELIEVE ...
I hope that I first created this evil post
thanks and regards.
Have a nice day that

This is solved thread. I have opened a new one in your name. Take care of that, its all yours to ask the questions.
http://www.tomshardware.com/forum/317148-30-asus-crossh...
Score
a c 328 V Motherboard
a b à CPUs
July 27, 2012 3:06:08 PM

This topic has been closed by Nikorr
Score
!