HTPC build it with me

Axoliien

Distinguished
Nov 2, 2010
Let's build a low power HTPC together! I already have a case, got it from a friend. Antec Overture 728 up to ATX capable.
I have a PS3 that I use for blu-ray and Netflix, but I would like the ability to have the multimedia available and to play videos that are not supported codecs on the PS3. I currently have an HDTV with component in and DVI in, but we will be getting HDMI sometime soon and I can always get an HDMI to DVI converter so I'm not worried there. Also I'll be putting in some home audio so I want to be able to plug in when we get that as well. We have encrypted cable incoming, and we haven't put in an HD antenna yet, so we don't really need tv recording. I would appreciate a separate suggestion for an HD receiving card to keep in mind for later.

Processor (130)
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16819115065
Intel Core i3-550 Clarkdale 3.2GHz 4MB L3 Cache LGA 1156 73W Dual-Core Desktop Processor BX80616I3550

Power Supply (130)
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16817151097

HDD: I currently have 2x 1TB disks SATA 3.0Gb/s
Motherboard? I'm not really up on the tech, can my needs be met with onboard vid or separate video card? I'd like a gigabit wired connection.
RAM? I'd guess 2 gigs to 4 gigs, but I don't know what type
Video card? Required for my needs?

I'd like to try to keep the price point below 750. I'm looking forward to seeing! :bounce:

Axoliien

Distinguished
Nov 2, 2010
Wow, you found the case, that's kind of surprising. The PSU doesn't work so I figured I would replace it with a nice one that is power efficient as well, so the bronze looks like it will do the job. I've never had a Gigabyte motherboard but I hear about them all the time. I like that tuner too, immediately gives me the option to plug in local HD channels and radio so that's exciting. Looks like the total would be about 600 dollars which is great! I'm going to crunch the power requirements tonight to make sure everything is covered and do some searches for compatibility just in case. Thanks for getting back to me so quickly!

Processor Intel Core i3-550 (130)
PSU M1211 520 Bronze (70)
Mobo GIGABYTE GA-H55-USB3 (110)
RAM G.SKILL Ripjaws (70)
DVD+R (20)
Tuner Hauppauge WinTV-HVR-2250 (105)
SAPPHIRE 100293L (90)