Hardware tranfer to new case, No boot. HELP!

k1n23

Distinguished
Dec 3, 2010
Specifications:
CPU: Intel i7-930

CPU Cooler: Stock Intel cooler

GPU: Asus NVIDIA 9800GT (Yes getting new one soon!)

RAM: OCZ Gold 6GB (3x2GB) PC3-12800 1600Mhz (but @ 1066 stock)

Case: Cooler Master Elite 330

Motherboard: Gigabyte X58A-UD7

Power Supply: Zalman ZM600-ST 600W

Hard Disk Drive: 1x Seagate 1TB

Case: Cooler Master Elite 330 case

Optical Drive: Pioneer DVD burner

-------------------------------------

New CPU cooler: Cooler Master V6GT

New Thermal paste: Artic Silver 5

New Case: Antec 902

New Optical Drive: Samsung Blu Ray ROM/ DVD burner

My original hardware worked for months, no problems at all, it was just a straight transfer to a new case basically.

So I have moved it all in, everything powers up e.g. all lights, fans and HDD spins up. BUT it doesnt boot up (so no beep before BIOS screen displays but nothing on screen).

This is not my first time building computers so everything was done properly! (it wouldnt of been shorted btw)

All components/cables connected right, No power cables missing, tried different combinations with ATX cables for power also. Only workng combination working is the single cable of 20pin + 4pin cable, extra 4 or 8pin ATX causes the system to power up and shut down repeatedly.

All cables fully seated in properly, none lose or forced it, no pins bent anywhere.

All tests to my knowledge and others has been performed !!

Some e.g. all RAM combinations, different GPU slots, basically removed all cables and reconnecting everything, clearing CMOS button/battery out also and even testing the front panel header with message and power signal wires etc.

*Only thing else to try is getting a hold of another PSU to test... or even testing another mobo with components. Possibly need to buy them *sigh...

Since its mostly the same hardware, I dont think a new optical drive, few more fans and a aftermarket cpu cooler would drain that much power, the gpu is ONLY a 9800GT.

So if anyone can help I just need some other peoples perpectives. Any help would be awesome.

Solution
Check for shorts on the backside of the board could be a piece of anything conductive......
The Board is not supposed to be functioning optimally without the 8 Pin Power Connection.
And I really don't think it's a very good idea to mix and match power connectors that come with the PSU.
The 24Pin one comes as one piece or then 20+4 Pin that has a grove into which the 4 and 20 pin connectors slide.
and the 8 Pin is not the same that you use for the GPU...... it may look the same but the power out is different.

Try to remove the board from the case and try the same thing, see if it comes on.

k1n23

Distinguished
Dec 3, 2010

Hey thanks for responding. So removing everything without RAM and a HDD how can it boot up.?

But I have tried your suggestion though with that ATX combination it still powers up then shuts down again, I cant see it does anything the lights on the mobo just stay on while the PSU is runing.
--I also tried with (20 + 4) + 8, (20 + 4) + 4, but the only stable is (20 + 4) some reason moving to this new case it doesnt like the ATX plugs at the top left hand side of the mobo.

Check for shorts on the backside of the board could be a piece of anything conductive......
The Board is not supposed to be functioning optimally without the 8 Pin Power Connection.
And I really don't think it's a very good idea to mix and match power connectors that come with the PSU.
The 24Pin one comes as one piece or then 20+4 Pin that has a grove into which the 4 and 20 pin connectors slide.
and the 8 Pin is not the same that you use for the GPU...... it may look the same but the power out is different.

Try to remove the board from the case and try the same thing, see if it comes on.

Solution

k1n23

Distinguished
Dec 3, 2010

Well originally I had the single cable of 20+4 pin (without the 4 plugged in) and another 4 pin ATX (at the top left) that was working fine (the PSU has a 4 + 4 ATX cable). Also yes its not the PCIE power connector.
I dont think I would need the 8 pin (4+4pin) cos my CPU isnt a 130w so no need for the full power, plus it would be unstable and unable to boot says the mobo manual and stickers on the cable.

I am removing the mobo again now.

k1n23

Distinguished
Dec 3, 2010

Touche. Still never tried running it with 20+4 and 8pin before, the mobo also doesnt like that configuration.
About to lift mobo out to rescrew again :S