Griffolion

Distinguished
May 28, 2009
Have you overclocked? Best way to get an instant boost out of the CPU. The HSF you noted will do the trick.

Want better gaming performance? Get a better GPU, but i can't see why your 5870 is struggling in anything.

If you want near silent fans, silverstone do some good ones.

An SSD will help loading times but not gaming performance.

New speakers is entirely up to you, i don't know how much of an audiophile you are.

For the most part your PC is better than mine so i can't see why you'd want to add anything to as i don't need to add anything to mine. Its very strange to see a Corsair PSU die, very rare.

Keep saving your money til next year and make a platform switch to Sandybridge next year if you're itching for an upgrade.

For that amount, you could easily upgrade your case to a solid full tower like the Cooler Master HAF 932, Silverstone Raven RV02, etc. You'd get better (and generally quieter) cooling than in a mid tower, and most of the good full towers have cable routing to keep the inside of the case clean. Full towers also have a lot more room, but keep in mind they do get big.

The NZXT is also a great case. I like the design, but the thermal design of the Raven just sold me (I'm an engineer).

Quick question: how do you like that sound card? I'm thinking about getting that one because it's the only card I can find that's inexpensive and has the Dolby Digital Live encoding for 5.1-7.1 over optical.

Lutfij

Titan
architect :) thus the phantoms design appealed to me

Quick question: how do you like that sound card? I'm thinking about getting that one because it's the only card I can find that's inexpensive and has the Dolby Digital Live encoding for 5.1-7.1 over optical.
creative are really crap...they have the looks but they don;t have what it takes to get the job done - over the top marketing and advertising. It has issues with the optical.

I'd ask you to move to an HT | Omega striker 7.1 if your gaming but take your pick -

http://www.newegg.com/Product/ProductList.aspx?Submit=ENE&DEPA=0&Order=BESTMATCH&Description=HT+omega&x=0&y=0

They truly deliver the optical connectivty cos of the DTS decoder onboard...read it up on htomega.com

That's the general impression I've gotten with people's experiences with Creative. And almost all of the sound cards have problems with optical.

I'm really looking for something to play music and movies over my 5.1 system, so I do need something that is quality. I'll look into the HT Omegas. Thanks for the suggestions!

Lutfij

Titan
And almost all of the sound cards have problems with optical.
not all, just the creative's range, and Asus Xonar's range are flawless with 2.0/2.1 setups...i forgot which models among the Xonar's were for the 5.1...cards that have the DTS encoding chip built onto the soundcard PCB are worth the note for optical connectivity.

I was referring only to Creative's optical in that statement (hell, my Asus M4A785-M motherboard had better optical support!).

I like the Asus Xonar D1 7.1, and I'm debating that one or the HT Omega Striker 7.1. They're the same price, but they require a PCI slot instead of a PCI-Express x1 slot like the Creative X-fi. I guess it's worth giving up my wireless card for...

Lutfij

Titan
Only recently have i been recommending the HT | Omega's line-up...you know how the same old thing keeps circling in your bowl of soup that you get fed up and want something new...well I'm that sort of guy :na:

the last time I bought a creative card was the Audigy 2 ZS platinum in 2004...now have the supremeFX X-Fi that came with both my mobo's. It's only cos I don't have kick ass sound systems , that i'm content with my cards :) but i'd shoot for an HT | Omega anyday if all i had was an onboard audio card.