Component archives (e.g. engspec.dat)

Do you know how (& where) they (*) put that information when using
custom configurations which allow to build special ships like warp13
engines with techLevel17 beams and so on?

The base files are in the (root) planet.exe directory for example.

Any info is appreciated. All the best
Paolo
(*) well, some utilities and PHost primarly

IH870 wrote:
> Do you know how (& where) they (*) put that information when using
> custom configurations which allow to build special ships like warp13
> engines with techLevel17 beams and so on?

Huh? What exactly do you mean?

If I use a non-standard ship list, I place its files in the game
directory, and all programs (except planets.exe) will find them there.
Same goes for PHost.

planets.exe and host.exe only look for these files in the respective
current directory, i.e. the directory where the .exe file is in, so you
have to copy your whole installation. For host.exe this is a good idea
anyway (a complete directory per game hosted); for planets.exe it takes
a bit more disk space - but, hey, what do 5 meg mean these days.

Stefan

"Stefan Reuther" <stefan.news@arcor.de> wrote in message
> If I use a non-standard ship list, I place its files in the game
> directory, and all programs (except planets.exe) will find them there.
> Same goes for PHost.

You're always a great source of info, Stefan!!!!!

Suppose to have special engine in a phost game. are those specifications
into engspec.dat or there's another file? Ciao

> Suppose to have special engine in a phost game. are those specifications
> into engspec.dat or there's another file? Ciao

What do you mean with special engines? Some functions like grav, hyp,
chunnel, are hull # specific. I do not know much about phost, but is warp 13
engines possible?

harry

"Harry Bur" <h.y@gmx.de> wrote in message

> > Suppose to have special engine in a phost game. are those
specifications
> > into engspec.dat or there's another file? Ciao
>
> What do you mean with special engines?

stuff like warp 13 or hull with 3.14beam and so on. yes, it's possible
with add-in and phost afaik ciao

IH870 wrote:
> "Harry Bur" <h.y@gmx.de> wrote in message
>>> Suppose to have special engine in a phost game. are those
>>> specifications into engspec.dat or there's another file? Ciao
>>
>>What do you mean with special engines?
>
> stuff like warp 13 or hull with 3.14beam and so on. yes, it's possible
> with add-in and phost afaik ciao

Please use some less exotic examples, I'm not entirely sure what you're
talking about either.

PHost does *not* support warp 13 engines. PHost supports - like Tim's
host - 9 engine types, 105 hull types, 10 beam types, 10 torp types,
each engine has 9 warp factors, and each of the 11 players can build up
to 20 hulls. This information is stored in the same data files as for
Tim's host.

> Please use some less exotic examples, I'm not entirely sure what
you're
> talking about either.

Stefan I thought to stuff like the many version of the PList e.g.
http://www.geocities.com/TimesSquare/Realm/5407/PList2/plist2.html

20-main-weapons Death Star Carrier isn't standard, is it? ;)

But I fully ignorant about PHost archives, so the question is how can it
do it?

(I know TList for example forking with thost too is simply a replacement
of the *.dat file)

ciao and have a nice day

IH870 wrote:
> "Stefan Reuther" <stefan.news@arcor.de> wrote in message
>
>> Please use some less exotic examples, I'm not entirely sure what
>> you're talking about either.
>
> Stefan I thought to stuff like the many version of the PList e.g.
> http://www.geocities.com/TimesSquare/Realm/5407/PList2/plist2.html
>
> 20-main-weapons Death Star Carrier isn't standard, is it? ;)

"A ship with 20 weapons" is completely different from "20 weapon types",
and your original post somehow sounded like you mean the latter.

The weapon count is just a number. It happens that PHost has the upper
limit of 20 here. So you take the hullspec.dat file and replace the
number-of-weapons field with '20'.

To edit these files, you can use Penguin or peng.

> "A ship with 20 weapons" is completely different from "20 weapon
types",
> and your original post somehow sounded like you mean the latter.

well folks... had you ever heard any Italian talking a good
English?!?!?!? Why should I be the first one????

> The weapon count is just a number. (...)
> So you take the hullspec.dat file and replace the (...)

so you mean that phost has no special files just the normal ones with
special values, right?

thanks for your effort putting something into this hard head ;)