Seeking opinion on choosing a laptop with firewire

Last response: in Laptops & Notebooks
a b D Laptop
February 6, 2005 3:55:06 PM

IBM thinkpads doesn't seem to have firewire and adapters/racks aren't handy.

Any recommendations if price isn't first priority, reliability and support
(parts and drivers) are.

I have heard some bad whining about Dell's laptops (basically network and
driver problems).

Jukka
February 6, 2005 3:55:07 PM

well I run an M60 and its superb for networking and has no driver
problems.............so there's one recommendation. For 1 whine there will
be thousands who don't.........you will only hear the whiners.

the M60 is being sold at a good price, from Dell, now the M70 has appeared.
PS don't go for those being sold on ebay........they're scammers.

dj
Anonymous
a b D Laptop
February 6, 2005 3:55:07 PM

Rumour has it that XP doesn't drive FW properly. I never got mine to
work reliable althought the same machine ran FW fine when I had WinME
on it.

Are u hooking it up to an iPOD/SonyCam? that's the ONLY reason I can
think off going FW, otherwise USB2 maybe a less painless solution.
Related resources
February 6, 2005 4:34:45 PM

yea buy a pcmcia firewire card for about 15 dollars, if your running xp on
the machine
it will plug and play. I just connected one into my dell and it works fine.
""Jukka I Seppänen"" <jseppane@vipunen.hut.fi> wrote in message

> IBM thinkpads doesn't seem to have firewire and adapters/racks aren't
> handy.
>
> Any recommendations if price isn't first priority, reliability and support
> (parts and drivers) are.
>
> I have heard some bad whining about Dell's laptops (basically network and
> driver problems).
>
> Jukka
Anonymous
a b D Laptop
February 7, 2005 1:17:36 AM

bobb <None@NoWhere.com> writes:

> Rumour has it that XP doesn't drive FW properly. I never got mine to
> work reliable althought the same machine ran FW fine when I had WinME
> on it.

Possible. Were HD's and RAM's at same sizes?
I can also reproduce errors with over 130 GB HD's and 1 GB RAM.

> Are u hooking it up to an iPOD/SonyCam? that's the ONLY reason I can
> think off going FW, otherwise USB2 maybe a less painless solution.

Basic reason is external storage and backups.

My experiences with USB's are not very good ones contrary to FW's and also
with IDE but that requires too much screwing as everyday hobby.

Jukka
Anonymous
a b D Laptop
February 7, 2005 1:22:12 AM

"BigJIm" <Jim10277@hotmail.com> writes:

> yea buy a pcmcia firewire card for about 15 dollars, if your running xp on
> the machine
> it will plug and play. I just connected one into my dell and it works fine.

Pcmcia-cards are just those one's which I want definetly to avoid (seen and
tested too many problems and incompatabilities with these).

Also everything extra plugging is not good if it could be avoided somehow.

Jukka
Anonymous
a b D Laptop
February 7, 2005 1:22:53 AM

"engelbert" <abirdinhand@isworthabushbtinternet.com> writes:

> well I run an M60 and its superb for networking and has no driver
> problems.............so there's one recommendation. For 1 whine there will
> be thousands who don't.........you will only hear the whiners.
>
> the M60 is being sold at a good price, from Dell, now the M70 has appeared.
> PS don't go for those being sold on ebay........they're scammers.

Ok, thanks.

Jukka
February 7, 2005 1:47:19 AM

wow I guess you have seen more than me I use a pcmcia card for both firewire
and wireless network oh and sometimes a 56k modem.

> "BigJIm" <Jim10277@hotmail.com> writes:
>
>> yea buy a pcmcia firewire card for about 15 dollars, if your running xp
>> on
>> the machine
>> it will plug and play. I just connected one into my dell and it works
>> fine.
>
> Pcmcia-cards are just those one's which I want definetly to avoid (seen
> and
> tested too many problems and incompatabilities with these).
>
> Also everything extra plugging is not good if it could be avoided somehow.
>
> Jukka
Anonymous
a b D Laptop
February 7, 2005 10:54:08 PM

In article <4joc015uo21ick6ob5m188f4b0ndcjoo6e@4ax.com>,
None@NoWhere.com says...
> Rumour has it that XP doesn't drive FW properly. I never got mine to
> work reliable althought the same machine ran FW fine when I had WinME
> on it.
>
> Are u hooking it up to an iPOD/SonyCam? that's the ONLY reason I can
> think off going FW, otherwise USB2 maybe a less painless solution.

Never had a problem with firewire on XP. 2000 maybe, xp never - comes
up as a 1394 net adapter.

BTW, there are numerous devices that support firewire, not just IPODS
and SonyCams.
!