The best part of budget system builds for me is the careful tradeoff between cost & performance. I work in the industrial side of this business (6u anyone?) so I am familiar with many of the concepts but not the consumer form factors.
I have the below system and am seeking your advice on the sequence of upgrades over the next 2-3 years. I am looking for a solid, but not spectacular gaming system. My thoughts on the upgrades would be as follows (in sequence). I would like the ultimate cost to be in the ballpark of $600 bucks. Really what I am trying to do is position my sAMD system for rolling upgrades ($100-150 per year) over time.
1. Upgrade case & power supply (5 yr+ lifetime)
2. Upgrade to CPU cooler (I like the $40 gaia cooler)
3. Upgrade CPU & Mobo (Can I do this without upgrading the OEM windows?)
4. Upgrade memory and to WIndows 7
5. Upgrade Graphics card
I have an HP 4706c pavillion with:
- Mobo-Asus M2N68-LA (Narra3)
- CPU - AMD Athlon 64 X2 4400+
- RAM - 3Gb Speed: PC2-6400 MB/sec
- 300W PSU
- GPU - Radeon HD4670 (512Mb DDR3)