AM3 Boards work with Bulldozer chips?

asantesoul

Distinguished
Nov 10, 2010
Not quite sure if there's a thread on this already..I tried to find a similar topic on the site but was unsuccessful...now my question for those that are knowledgeable, or just know something I don't... Will the new AMD chips work on the AM3 boards? I know that this has been asked many times..but after discovering some articles it would appear as though it may be feasible to use your AM3 board with the new chips..

The thing is, I don't know how credible the articles are, but MSI commented on the whole issue and explained that the new chips would work on the AM3 boards, but with limited features...is that true?

asantesoul

Distinguished
Nov 10, 2010
I've caught wind of a couple of rumors...I knew you had to get an AM3 board...but recent speculation and articles suggest that it may be compatible, but with limited features available to owners with AMD motherboards

4745454b

Titan
AMD claimed that in order to have BD be as successful as they wanted they had to break backwards compatibility. They were able to have current AM3 chips work in AM3+ boards, but BD won't work in AM3 boards. This is the rumor I believe, you can believe what you want.

asantesoul

Distinguished
Nov 10, 2010
This article seems to suggest that perhaps it may be true...again, I'm not sure how credible it is..a friend of mine grabbed this link and showed it to me citing that the AM3+ board and AM3 don't differ much... this link is from that site

http://translate.google.com/translate?js=n&prev=_t&hl=en&ie=UTF-8&layout=2&eotf=1&sl=auto&tl=en&u=http%3A%2F%2Fwww.pcgameshardware.de%2Faid%2C813945%2FCebit-2011-MSI-bringt-AMD-Bulldozer-taugliche-AM3-Mainboards-sowie-BIOS-Update%2FMainboard%2FNews%2F&act=url

someguynamedmatt

Distinguished
I just have no clue at this point. I've heard from one group of people that the processor isn't even the same size any more. I've heard from another group of people that it will work fine with a BIOS update. Then I came here and heard that it will work with limited features. Just at Overclock.net I was told that it was basically the same socket but it just won't work. Asantesoul's article claims that the socket will just be a different color. :heink:

As far as I know, AMD has said absolutely nothing so far. Maybe I'm just not paying attention, but as far as I'm concerned, everything is a rumor until AMD releases it and confirms comparability.

asantesoul

Distinguished
Nov 10, 2010

It's not about me believing what I want..Im just inquisitive and want to know for certain whether it's true or not..until today I was led to believe that current amd chips could be carried over to AM3+ motherboards...but now I'm told something different..juss searching for some truefff

asantesoul

Distinguished
Nov 10, 2010

Precisely, it is all just a rumor for the time being..but my buddy tells me that a bios update would allow for the chip to be used in the old motherboards..

asantesoul

Distinguished
Nov 10, 2010

Guess that does it..we can put the rumor and speculation to rest..for now..I've always been the skeptical type..even if it is an AMD regular what's to stop him/her from head faking everyone here? AMD has been quiet about many things thus far..so, I'll take that with a grain of salt...

Why would they head fake about that? It would be more beneficial for them to say that it would work with AM3 boards then disappoint people than to discourage people from buying AM3 boards if they plan to move to bulldozer.

Its just a bad idea for your PR guy to try to headfake because then we wont trust him as much in the future, and its probably bad for your Director of Product Marketing, Server Products to lose credibility.

asantesoul

Distinguished
Nov 10, 2010

hmm..I concur..you make valid points...and from that perspective it really wouldn't make sense to keep something like that a secret or be dishonest about it...

asantesoul

Distinguished
Nov 10, 2010
ha...I'm not sure how much credibility this individual has..but, like hunter said, he has much to lose if he was being dishonest about that statement..I'm just going to forget about this whole rumor stuff and wait for that damn thing to debut...AMD is awfully skilled at keeping this quiet...

jf-amd

Distinguished
Mar 3, 2010
Which would you believe:

1. AMD says AM3+ only
2. A third party website, that, when run through GOOGLE TRANSLATE, reveals a cryptic statement that doesn't really confirm the existence of an AM3 BD capability but *might*

The choice is yours.

Thanks for double checking! Im so glad you have the resources to fact check with directly that most of us dont, that should help quash some rumors of AM3 supporting Bulldozer

j2o

Distinguished
Apr 21, 2010

AM3 BULLDOZER X8 is going to be a 1.5v chip + DDR3 1866 memory :D