Your question
Solved

AM3 Boards work with Bulldozer chips?

Tags:
  • CPUs
  • Bulldozer
Last response: in CPUs
February 28, 2011 9:03:15 PM

Not quite sure if there's a thread on this already..I tried to find a similar topic on the site but was unsuccessful...now my question for those that are knowledgeable, or just know something I don't... Will the new AMD chips work on the AM3 boards? I know that this has been asked many times..but after discovering some articles it would appear as though it may be feasible to use your AM3 board with the new chips..

The thing is, I don't know how credible the articles are, but MSI commented on the whole issue and explained that the new chips would work on the AM3 boards, but with limited features...is that true?

More about : am3 boards work bulldozer chips

February 28, 2011 9:06:04 PM

i have heard that you need a new mobo with the AM3r2 (AM3+) socket for the bulldozers.
m
l
a c 213 à CPUs
February 28, 2011 9:52:38 PM

No. If you want to get Bulldozer, you have to get a AM3+ motherboard. They will not work in AM3 motherboards.
m
l
Related resources
February 28, 2011 10:04:59 PM

I've caught wind of a couple of rumors...I knew you had to get an AM3 board...but recent speculation and articles suggest that it may be compatible, but with limited features available to owners with AMD motherboards
m
l
a c 137 à CPUs
February 28, 2011 10:07:30 PM

AMD claimed that in order to have BD be as successful as they wanted they had to break backwards compatibility. They were able to have current AM3 chips work in AM3+ boards, but BD won't work in AM3 boards. This is the rumor I believe, you can believe what you want.
m
l
February 28, 2011 10:10:22 PM

This article seems to suggest that perhaps it may be true...again, I'm not sure how credible it is..a friend of mine grabbed this link and showed it to me citing that the AM3+ board and AM3 don't differ much... this link is from that site

http://translate.google.com/translate?js=n&prev=_t&hl=e...
m
l
a b à CPUs
February 28, 2011 10:10:32 PM

I just have no clue at this point. I've heard from one group of people that the processor isn't even the same size any more. I've heard from another group of people that it will work fine with a BIOS update. Then I came here and heard that it will work with limited features. Just at Overclock.net I was told that it was basically the same socket but it just won't work. Asantesoul's article claims that the socket will just be a different color. :heink: 

As far as I know, AMD has said absolutely nothing so far. Maybe I'm just not paying attention, but as far as I'm concerned, everything is a rumor until AMD releases it and confirms comparability.
m
l
February 28, 2011 10:12:22 PM

4745454b said:
AMD claimed that in order to have BD be as successful as they wanted they had to break backwards compatibility. They were able to have current AM3 chips work in AM3+ boards, but BD won't work in AM3 boards. This is the rumor I believe, you can believe what you want.

It's not about me believing what I want..Im just inquisitive and want to know for certain whether it's true or not..until today I was led to believe that current amd chips could be carried over to AM3+ motherboards...but now I'm told something different..juss searching for some truefff
m
l
February 28, 2011 10:13:55 PM

someguynamedmatt said:
I just have no clue at this point. I've heard from one group of people that the processor isn't even the same size any more. I've heard from another group of people that it will work fine with a BIOS update. Then I came here and heard that it will work with limited features. Just at Overclock.net I was told that it was basically the same socket but it just won't work at all.

As far as I know, AMD has said absolutely nothing so far. Maybe I'm just not paying attention, but as far as I'm concerned, everything is a rumor until AMD releases it and confirms comparability.

Precisely, it is all just a rumor for the time being..but my buddy tells me that a bios update would allow for the chip to be used in the old motherboards..
m
l
February 28, 2011 10:38:08 PM

hunter315 said:
The new chips will not work with old boards according to the AMD rep who regulars here
http://www.tomshardware.com/forum/288908-28-bulldozer-s...

Guess that does it..we can put the rumor and speculation to rest..for now..I've always been the skeptical type..even if it is an AMD regular what's to stop him/her from head faking everyone here? AMD has been quiet about many things thus far..so, I'll take that with a grain of salt...
m
l
a c 257 à CPUs
February 28, 2011 10:48:45 PM

Why would they head fake about that? It would be more beneficial for them to say that it would work with AM3 boards then disappoint people than to discourage people from buying AM3 boards if they plan to move to bulldozer.

Its just a bad idea for your PR guy to try to headfake because then we wont trust him as much in the future, and its probably bad for your Director of Product Marketing, Server Products to lose credibility.
m
l
February 28, 2011 10:58:30 PM

hunter315 said:
Why would they head fake about that? It would be more beneficial for them to say that it would work with AM3 boards then disappoint people than to discourage people from buying AM3 boards if they plan to move to bulldozer.

Its just a bad idea for your PR guy to try to headfake because then we wont trust him as much in the future, and its probably bad for your Director of Product Marketing, Server Products to lose credibility.

hmm..I concur..you make valid points...and from that perspective it really wouldn't make sense to keep something like that a secret or be dishonest about it...
m
l
a c 137 à CPUs
February 28, 2011 10:59:38 PM

Thank you hunter, I knew I heard it from somewhere "official" before.

Of course he is in marketing, so we probably still need a bunch of salt. [/joke]
m
l
February 28, 2011 11:13:02 PM

ha...I'm not sure how much credibility this individual has..but, like hunter said, he has much to lose if he was being dishonest about that statement..I'm just going to forget about this whole rumor stuff and wait for that damn thing to debut...AMD is awfully skilled at keeping this quiet...
m
l
March 1, 2011 6:03:19 AM

Which would you believe:

1. AMD says AM3+ only
2. A third party website, that, when run through GOOGLE TRANSLATE, reveals a cryptic statement that doesn't really confirm the existence of an AM3 BD capability but *might*

The choice is yours.
m
l
a b à CPUs
March 1, 2011 11:07:50 AM

Everything that has been said has been that AM3+ is REQUIRED for BD.
m
l
March 2, 2011 12:08:03 AM

Too bad I have an AM3 socket. : (
m
l
March 2, 2011 1:08:43 AM

Yeah I suppose your right..thanks for all the input everyone
m
l
March 2, 2011 3:33:27 AM

Just verified with tthe desktop guys, Bulldozer is supported on AM3+ only, not AM3.
m
l
a c 257 à CPUs
March 2, 2011 3:40:52 AM

jf-amd said:
Just verified with tthe desktop guys, Bulldozer is supported on AM3+ only, not AM3.

Thanks for double checking! Im so glad you have the resources to fact check with directly that most of us dont, that should help quash some rumors of AM3 supporting Bulldozer
m
l
March 2, 2011 3:47:46 AM

it certainly has...thanks to all! :) 
m
l
March 2, 2011 3:48:02 AM

Best answer selected by asantesoul.
m
l
March 8, 2011 5:21:11 PM

asantesoul said:
Not quite sure if there's a thread on this already..I tried to find a similar topic on the site but was unsuccessful...now my question for those that are knowledgeable, or just know something I don't... Will the new AMD chips work on the AM3 boards? I know that this has been asked many times..but after discovering some articles it would appear as though it may be feasible to use your AM3 board with the new chips..

The thing is, I don't know how credible the articles are, but MSI commented on the whole issue and explained that the new chips would work on the AM3 boards, but with limited features...is that true?

AM3 BULLDOZER X8 is going to be a 1.5v chip + DDR3 1866 memory :D 
m
l
March 9, 2011 11:22:27 PM

There is no AM3 Bulldozer
m
l
March 18, 2011 10:41:02 PM

hey JF-AMD i didnt realize this was you...i was on another forum and now there's some serious buzz circulating mentioning that some 890FX boards (CHIV) work with the upcoming line of processors...again..this is debatable...but Asus mentioned support for it
m
l
March 19, 2011 5:32:36 AM

Wow! According to this:

http://www.xbitlabs.com/news/mainboards/display/2011031...

"select current mainboards with AM3 socket will also support next-generation AMD FX-series "Bulldozer" microprocessors after a BIOS upgrade"

Wow! Why isn't this reported in THG's Newsfeed? This was over 2 days ago and xbit is a pretty reputable site!

Now, what I'm waiting to hear is the catch... like that you have to break off a pin or something.
m
l
a b à CPUs
March 19, 2011 5:44:32 AM

AMD doesn't officially support AM3+ CPUs on AM3 mobos, however at least four big motherboard manufacturers (Asrock, Asus, Gigabyte, MSI) advertise "AM3+ CPU ready" on some of their boards.

Now, those mobo manufacturers are not insane to expose themselves to lawsuits, if they advertise this they know what they're doing. Whether this is officially supported by AMD or not, those CPUs will work on those mobos. The core unlocking wasn't supported by AMD either and look at the current mobos with all those unlocking features.

Apparently all it takes is a BIOS update.
m
l
March 19, 2011 6:15:15 AM

NO
m
l
March 19, 2011 4:42:24 PM

told you I wasn't completely crazy....now, if AMD doesn't support it thats fine..but the I created the thread knowing some of this information..it was speculated...and it seems as though the news chips can work on select motherboards...even with some features not included, owners will still get some boosts without changing their setups entirely..this is great news
m
l
a c 257 à CPUs
March 19, 2011 5:35:56 PM

I imagine the AM3+ sockets are out and about and that those boards are packing AM3+ sockets, for AM3 chips to be expected to work in AM3+ boards it would have to be the same shape with a slightly different pin out or pin count to enable the added features, the BIOS update requirement is probably because they dont know the microcode specs for BD yet.
m
l
March 19, 2011 6:12:06 PM

yeah..i suppose..but in any case..this is pretty good news..I've already got a sandy bridge setup...but, kinda makes me wish i picked up the crosshair iv instead of the maximus iv and saved some cash
m
l
March 20, 2011 9:22:02 PM

hunter315 said:
I imagine the AM3+ sockets are out and about and that those boards are packing AM3+ sockets, for AM3 chips to be expected to work in AM3+ boards it would have to be the same shape with a slightly different pin out or pin count to enable the added features

I find that a bit strange, since my understanding of AM3+ boards is that they will not run AM2+ chips, while AM3 would. So, if those boards were actually AM3+ boards, how would that work?

Also, if the socket parts & specs existed for so many AM3 boards to use AM3+ sockets, then why was AMD so adamant that BD would not run on AM3 boards?

I just wish for some real info.

mosox, big thanks for the links! Has any of these manufacturers published details about using BDs in their boards? I suppose as BD release gets closer, we can expect technical notes and user manual addendums/revisions with this info.
m
l
a b à CPUs
March 20, 2011 10:03:39 PM

Those are definitely AM3 boards not AM3+, they've been available for quite some time. The new ones will have a new NB and SB (9XX series). Here's one
http://www.nordichardware.com/news/76-motherboards/4206...

Here's the Asus press release, it's in that link in the other post:

Quote:
ASUS, the worldwide leader in motherboard design and sales, today announced the release of the industry's first AM3+ CPU enabled motherboard solution based on the existing AMD 8-Series Chipsets. Current owners of an AM3-based board* can make their AMD 8-Series motherboards compatible with the latest AM3+ CPUs with a simple BIOS** update from the official ASUS website

So it's clear that's about the current boards, just don't know if all of them eventually.

Too bad my AM2+ mobo won't work due to lack of DDR2 support on the CPU.
m
l
March 20, 2011 10:13:30 PM

mosox said:
Those are definitely AM3 boards not AM3+, they've been available for quite some time. The new ones will have a new NB and SB (9XX series).

FYI, plenty of AM3+ boards have been announced that have 800-series chipsets. In some cases, these are being released as a variation of an existing 800-series product, since they probably changed very little besides the CPU socket.

Since there are virtually no differences between the features of the 800 and 900 series chipsets, I wouldn't bother waiting for a 900-series board if you're eager.
m
l
March 20, 2011 10:17:33 PM

Okay, here we go!

http://www.pctreiber.net/2011/cebit-asrock-zeigt-eine-r...

According to google translate, the update at the bottom of the article seems to indicate that mechanical compatibility has been confirmed and it's possible AM3+ CPUs will work in boards which don't use the sideband temperature sensor interface for reading the temperature from the CPU, but instead use a motherboard-mounted thermal diode. So, that's probably why some boards will work and others won't.
m
l