Switching Mobo Questions

Status
Not open for further replies.
G

So I might be upgrading this computer: http://www.dell.com/us/dfh/p/studio-desktop/pd
It uses socket LGA 775 so I'll have to upgrade the processor and RAM. Now if I were to use a new motherboard would I have to reinstall Windows 7?
Also if I just used my old hard drive with the new mobo (like this one: http://www.amazon.com/Asus-P8Z68-V-PRO-ASUS-Motherboard/dp/B00503EA80) would I still have all my stuff? Like if I just got all my parts and assembled them onto the motherboard would my files still be there? I do have a a 320 GB Hard drive I can back up all my files onto but I have around 310 GB worth of files on my current hard drive. But my hard drive is a 750 GB one (Seagate Barracuda 7200.12 ST3750528AS 750GB) but it says I have 380 GB free of 690 GB. So is there like 60GB of files that I can't see? My concern is that I have more than 310 GB on my computer and that I couldn't back up all my files onto the external hard drive I have! Also would my hard drive even work on the new mobo?
Thanks and sorry for asking these noobish questions!

Solution

beenthere

Distinguished
If you upgrade the CPU/RAM you should have no issues as long as the mobo supports the new CPU/RAM. You may need a BIOS upgrade before being able to use a newer CPU. The mobo maker's website will show what BIOS version is required for each model CPU.

If you replace the mobo then you will need to uninstall the old mobo chipset drivers before you remove the mobo. You will need to install the new mobo chipset drivers after you install the new mobo.

It's always adviseable to do a back-up of any important files before swapping the mobo.

When installing a motherboard, even if its the same chipset I always recommend a fresh windows install. It is just the smart thiung to do to avoid any niggling low level driver probalems and such.
Luckily, M$ has made this much easier for us with the Easy transfer. All you have to do is hit the start button and under "search programs..." type in easy transfer. You really don't need to transfer everything, just docs, pictures, movies, music, etc; most of which can be found in your personal folder. You can also ask the wizard to save any other files like game saves and whatnot. Overall, you won't have a ridiculously large file to transfer. After you install windows, install the programs you have associated with your files, (such as WMP, email client, games, office software, etc.). Once you've installed all the programs, you can run the easy transfer wizard on the new biuld and it will be just the same as the old one, screen saver and desktop, everything.

Solution
G

It it easy enough for a computer repair shop to do without screwing up? Because that's where I'll be going to get the parts installed and not doing it myself (parents=scared of computer parts)

Yes, they should have no problem with this, it certainly is a typical task for them. However, I would strongly suggest you back up everything before handing it over to anyone.

G

Got it! Cool! Thanks for your help.

Status
Not open for further replies.