Randgen (modified version)

Hello planeteers,

I finally finished the documentation with all the changes I made to Randgen.
So it is now available into an RAR archive (containing sources, a
documentation file and some license-related files). Can someone look over it
(Thomas Voigt, Stefan Reuter or anybody who is good with licenses - GPL
especially) and tell me if I'm breaking some requirements? I'm not very good
with these and I don't want to offend someone by breaking some rules.

The new version will be 1.4.9 and it is modified on version 1.2a (or 1.3 -
I'm not sure) originally made by Thomas Voigt.

Oh, BTW, to do that I need email addresses, because I don't have an online
server, so I have to send it manually. You can use the email address
dacianhantig(at)rdslink.ro
to send me your email address if you're interested into "pre-reading" the
modified Randgen version and verify if the facts from the license GPL are
covered.

After this will be done, I'll need a site that can publish this file.

Thank you in advance,
--
Dacian Hantig
dacianhantig(at)rdslink.ro

Dacian Hantig wrote:
> I finally finished the documentation with all the changes I made to Randgen.
> So it is now available into an RAR archive

Why RAR? ZIP can be more easily dealt with, and it is free.
Just a thought.

> (containing sources, a
> documentation file and some license-related files). Can someone look over it
> (Thomas Voigt, Stefan Reuter or anybody who is good with licenses - GPL
> especially) and tell me if I'm breaking some requirements? I'm not very good
> with these and I don't want to offend someone by breaking some rules.

GPL only means you must offer sources to everyone who gets the
..exe, and use GPL yourself. The easiest way to fulfill that
requirement is to include sources in the distribution file. Or
offer a second file.

> After this will be done, I'll need a site that can publish this file.

While we are at it: Thomas does no longer maintain the fu-berlin
site, does he?

Otherwise, it probably makes sense to upload the file to the
phost-contrib area at sourceforge. They also have a CVS there to
place the sources in. Or to Merlyn's site? If everything fails, I
still have some 50 megs free on phost.de :)

Stefan

http://www.7-zip.org

Dacian Hantig wrote:

> After this will be done, I'll need a site that can publish this file.

As there was a thread some weeks ago about an FTP site, I have a server
and can offer roughly a GByte of disk space plus some traffic. Just send
the file to me and it'll be the first file there :)

For the people knowing more about it: Since it should not stay the only
file there, which is the most up2date Planets FTP-site I should/can/are
allowed to mirror (to get the same structure people are used to and the
like?

Cheers
Carsten

PS: HTTP access will come over time (say towards the end of this year)

> > http://www.7-zip.org
> I think I'll use just ZIP :) since it is the common used

yes, but copyrighted!!!

7-zip creates all standard output (zip too) more efficently. a very nice
project. it's worth

IH870 wrote:
> "Dacian Hantig" <dacianhantig@rdslink.ro> wrote in message
>
>>>http://www.7-zip.org
>>
>>I think I'll use just ZIP :) since it is the common used
>
> yes, but copyrighted!!!

Huh? the '.zip' file format is essentially public domain. PKZip might
not be free, and Winzip isn't free either, but there are enough free
tools (both as in 'free beer' or as in 'free speech') to handle it.

This does not apply to RAR, ARJ, ACE, and so on.

Stefan

> > yes, but copyrighted!!!
>
> Huh? the '.zip' file format is essentially public domain. PKZip might
> not be free, and Winzip isn't free either, but there are enough free
> tools (both as in 'free beer' or as in 'free speech') to handle it.
>
> This does not apply to RAR, ARJ, ACE, and so on.

I made it RAR, just because I don't have a WinZip version installed. I'll
make it ZIP. It's piece of cake for me :)

> > (containing sources, a
> > documentation file and some license-related files). Can someone look
over it
> > (Thomas Voigt, Stefan Reuter or anybody who is good with licenses - GPL
> > especially) and tell me if I'm breaking some requirements? I'm not very
good
> > with these and I don't want to offend someone by breaking some rules.
>
> GPL only means you must offer sources to everyone who gets the
> .exe, and use GPL yourself. The easiest way to fulfill that
> requirement is to include sources in the distribution file. Or
> offer a second file.

Ok then, all these are met.

> > After this will be done, I'll need a site that can publish this file.
>
> While we are at it: Thomas does no longer maintain the fu-berlin
> site, does he?

I don't know. Thomas, do you? :)

> Otherwise, it probably makes sense to upload the file to the
> phost-contrib area at sourceforge. They also have a CVS there to
> place the sources in. Or to Merlyn's site? If everything fails, I
> still have some 50 megs free on phost.de :)

I didn't succed to locate phost-contrib area at sourceforge. My Internet
connection didn't work correctly, can you direct me to it?

Merlyn, are you interested into publishing my modified version of Rangen?

Thx Stefan, of course I would like to have the modified Randgen version
published at your site :)

Dacian

http://sourceforge.net/projects/phost-contrib/

--
Maurits van Rees

"Stefan Reuther" <stefan.news@arcor.de> wrote in message

> Huh? the '.zip' file format is essentially public domain.

sorry, I was thinking about Winzip or its bros.
wrongly explained.
I normally see lots of computers with not-registered shareware version
of winzip

I've been started using the 7-zip solution since many months ago and I'm
now confident it's a good suggestion for all. my 10 cents ;)

ciao

IH870 wrote:

>>Huh? the '.zip' file format is essentially public domain.
>
> sorry, I was thinking about Winzip or its bros.
> wrongly explained.
> I normally see lots of computers with not-registered shareware version
> of winzip
>
> I've been started using the 7-zip solution since many months ago and I'm
> now confident it's a good suggestion for all. my 10 cents ;)

I haven't looked at 7-zip, but if it creates standard .zip files, that's
fine with me.

There's absolutely no reason to use Winzip (or WinRAR or WinACE),
because there are enough free replacements. There is
- PowerArchiver (at least, it was free until a few years ago)
- Filzip (that's the one I use under Windows)
- Windows XP built-in ZIP
- InfoZip command-line tools (I use these everywhere)

Stefan

Dacian Hantig wrote:
>>Otherwise, it probably makes sense to upload the file to the
>>phost-contrib area at sourceforge. They also have a CVS there to
>>place the sources in. Or to Merlyn's site? If everything fails, I
>>still have some 50 megs free on phost.de :)
>
> I didn't succed to locate phost-contrib area at sourceforge. My Internet
> connection didn't work correctly, can you direct me to it?

Maurits already posted the link. If you have serious interest in
development, you should join the phostdev mailing list
<http://groups.yahoo.com/group/phostdev/>. Then you create an account at
SourceForge and I can add you to the phost-contrib project. Then you can
upload your stuff via CVS and FTP to Sourceforge.

I can also do the uploading for you if you don't want to create a SF
account, but without an account you'll only have read access to the
services at SF.

Anyway, send me the stuff if you want.[1]

Stefan

--
[1] I hope it is not as big as the stupid guy's mail who sent me an
un-announced 2-meg file of a zipped project development directory,

Stefan Reuther wrote:
> While we are at it: Thomas does no longer maintain the fu-berlin
> site, does he?
No, sorry. I maintained ftp.snafu.de during the mid-nineties and
fu-berlin mirrored snafu. But snafu ceased to be a public ftp server and
I don't have access anymore.

tv