Sign in with
Your question
Solved

Hows this look.

Last response: in Systems
December 3, 2010 3:19:54 PM

First time post, my wife needs a new computer for the adobe cs 5 web design pack she just bought. I spent a serious boat load of money to buy the program since she needs it for the business she's started but now it seems her 2 year old XPS 13 isn't quiet living up to expectations. Rather than mess with what I considered a piece of crap from the bat, I decided to build her a new tower decent enough to do photoshop, illustraitor, and dreamweaver but not carrying an i7 price tag. Here's what I've come up with, let me know what you think:

Athlon X4 630 2.8 GHZ AM3 CPU
ASuS M4A88TD-M AMD 880G Socket AM3
Asus 24x burner
XFX 5770 1 GB DDR 5
NZXT Gamma case
Ultra 550 watt power supply
WD 500 GB Caviar black drive
3 more case fans
Corsair XMS3 4 GB ram (2x2 GB)
Windows 7 64 bit

I've already ordered it because I get a business rate and the price was going to get up, I'm Canadian so it cost me about $700 since we get jacked on electronics. I'm basically looking to see if there's anything I should add once it's here, I've considered RAID or a SSD for photoshop but she has an external HDD with e-sata so I'm not sold on any advantage she'd get for the extra money. The 5770 is overkill, but she does game alot on our 360 and now that she has a tower I'm assuming she may dabble on this machine. Plus I heard rumours that CS5 harnesses the GPU somehow, so I thought what the heck, seemed good bang for buck.

PS- Knocking what I bought won't be constructive, but if you help me with what I have then your helping.

More about : hows

December 3, 2010 3:21:56 PM

Oh, and the board has four DDR3 slots, I intend to add 4 gb more when she has the money.
m
l

Best solution

December 3, 2010 3:56:49 PM

Looks like you're good to go. Since you have already ordered it, there is little more to do. The extra ram is definitely a good idea. RAID is not worth the trouble. An SSD would be nice but probably not necessary for what she will be doing. They are too expensive for their small capacity. Since she will most likely need the storage space later due to her work with pictures/videos, I would recommend the Samsung F3 Spinpoint 1TB drive. They are pretty quick and offer tons of storage space.

The only other thing I might suggest is a decent monitor down the road. One that is large and displays good colors. I am not the expert on monitors but I know toms has done some decent articles in the past testing various types of displays out. When photo editing, this can be helpful.
Related resources
December 3, 2010 5:00:02 PM

Best answer selected by sterdog.
m
l
December 3, 2010 5:01:41 PM

jedi940 said:
Looks like you're good to go. Since you have already ordered it, there is little more to do. The extra ram is definitely a good idea. RAID is not worth the trouble. An SSD would be nice but probably not necessary for what she will be doing. They are too expensive for their small capacity. Since she will most likely need the storage space later due to her work with pictures/videos, I would recommend the Samsung F3 Spinpoint 1TB drive. They are pretty quick and offer tons of storage space.

The only other thing I might suggest is a decent monitor down the road. One that is large and displays good colors. I am not the expert on monitors but I know toms has done some decent articles in the past testing various types of displays out. When photo editing, this can be helpful.

Good, I just ordered the samsung f3 from my local shop, I'm not sure if it's necessary since she can use her extrernal as a scratch disc but two guys recommending the same drive sounds like it must be reliable and 90 bucks local isn't bad for it. Thanks
m
l
!