Antec900 case Starting to regret my decision

Adamm07x

Distinguished
Nov 2, 2010
I have an unopened antec 900 i just got from newegg. I am thinking about getting a coolermaster haf 922 or 932 or the storm scout due to features with cable management tool less drive system as well as well as general looks.

I think it is a great case, but i feel it can no longer compete feature vs price wise.

I have a modular power supply this will be my first build with one so if i do stick with the case i'm not sure how much that will help with cable management, but nothing will make the case drastically look different.

What are your thoughts opinions and or advice?

Having owned cases from both manufacturers, I can say that on quality, Antec wins hands down. Although my CM-RC690 is still hanging in there (helped by quieter fans), I'm not sure I see myself ever buying another Coolermaster case. Even this one had untapped screw holes I needed to fix, and it doesn't really have much in the way of cable management except for one channel for many cables to run up and down.

D

Deleted member 217926

^ +1 on Antec quality. If you want features look at their DF line. Those are the new versions of the 300/900/1200.

Over the years I have been recommending the HAF and Antec cases as the premier choices. There are things I like about both, there are things that annoy me about both. Antec has inlet air filters / CM doesn't .....this is big for me..... cleaning them was a PITA on the 1200 but they listed to consumers and reduced the time to clean filters from 8 minutes on the 1200 to 8 seconds on the DF-85.

Tech / Customer support at Antec is simply superb. When USB 2 came out, they sent us updated USB front panel modules for all our cases free of charge. Tech support questions are answered by knowledgeable people who "pick up the phone".

The "tool less" stuff on the CM feature list is attractive but less so 'in practice". I find the hardware associated with the "tool less" features a bit flimsy. I still hate the molex connectors are the Antec fans as I'd much rather connect the 8 fans in the case to the 8 fan headers I have on the upper echelon MoBos. Can't really find fault w/ Antec targeting the other 98% of system builders who don't have 8 available headers and instead provide adjustable fan controls on every single fan.

Case selection is most often primarily affected by aesthetics. My son for example rejected the planned 1200 based build I had done for him and instead wanted the 932 .... He decided he wanted to wait for sandy bridge and the rest of the 5xx line from nVidia and put off his build from Xmas to April (his B'day). But now with the DF-85 out, he switched from the 932 to the DF-85 .... why ? ..... he wanted red LED's.....who am I to argue w/ the mind of a 14 year old ? :) .... my wife made her final car choice because she liked the color.....go figure.

I just recently built a 932 based box and a DF-85 based box in the same week. After doing both so close together, I crossed the 932 off my "recommended build options list". I'd still do an HAF-X build (no direct experience with that model as yet) or a 922 build, but the 932 just leaves too much on the table faced with current competition. I still like the 900/902 better than the 922 but the drop off isn't as significant as it is for the DF-85 / 932.

Adamm07x

Distinguished
Nov 2, 2010

How much will a modular power supply save room in a slightly small case such as the 900

rust1d

Distinguished
Nov 30, 2010

I have been pulling teeth deciding whether to get the Haf X or the DF-85. I was leaning toward the Haf X, but it seems the DF-85 is easier to maintain in terms of cleaning filters etc. Both have great build quality and the Haf X has nice internal features...decisions decisions!