Tags:
  • Power Supplies
  • Cooling
  • Typhoon
  • Heat
  • Components
Last response: in Components
March 1, 2011 1:03:23 AM

I have a big typhoon that I lost the thumb screws for mounting. I have a 9800 GX2 that runs crazy hot. It is used for folding@home 24/7 for the maximum pc team. Would I be able to take the heat pipes from the typhoon and solder them in the heat sink of the card? Would that help cool it, or am I just pissing the wind?

More about : crazy idea cooling 9800 gx2

Best solution

a c 289 ) Power supply
March 1, 2011 1:13:40 AM

Heatpipes by themselves arent helpful, they need to be in a heatsink fin assembly. All heatpipes do is transfer the energy from the hottest area to the cooler area faster and more efficiently than standard metal conduction, unless you move the whole heatsink assembly over which would require quite the mod you wont be able to move the heatpipes.
March 1, 2011 1:24:21 AM

Maybe I wasn't clear. The typhoon has six heat pipes. Three each go to a separate aluminum fin array. I plan on using them also. They will hang over the edge of the card. I was concerned about the heat pipes making enough contact with the card's heat sink to do their job.
m
l
Related resources
March 1, 2011 10:18:13 AM

I thought of water cooling but for that amount of money I could buy a new card that is cooler and produces more points. There isn't a lot of options on cooling a 9800GX2, I was just curious if something like this would work. What about a thermal adhesive?
m
l
March 8, 2011 12:54:38 AM

Best answer selected by jerfle.
m
l
!