Sign in with
Your question

60 Hz Refresh as good as it gets for 32+ inches?

Last response: in Graphics & Displays
Anonymous
October 9, 2010 12:16:03 PM

Hello,
It seems that no large displays will let you set your refresh above 60 Hz. What is up with that even the plasma 600Hz is to be set at 60Hz. Most expensive Samsung 3D LED LCD same thing 60Hz (acording the the manual).

More about : refresh good inches

October 9, 2010 12:33:41 PM

From what I gathered around a few forums about 120hz and above it seems that it really has no effect on your experience unless you're viewing the screen between 5-9' and a screen 50+ inches so you don't see a motion blur when you move your eyes around the screen. I've noticed this myself so I can understand what they mean. Hard to say exactly but imagine for a split second you're seeing the single frame rather than the continuous stream of video.

For some like myself it gives me a headache after a while seeing a color shift or frame stop when your eye tracks something else for a tiny bit.

edit: There could be more to it than that but in the case of gaming and other applications on a computer it's a nice thing to have to prevent screen tearing. Almost forgot to answer the main question haha.. there are tv's that go up to 240hz even for sizes beyond 32".
m
l
Anonymous
October 9, 2010 12:48:24 PM

HaakonXCI said:
From what I gathered around a few forums about 120hz and above it seems that it really has no effect on your experience unless you're viewing the screen between 5-9' and a screen 50+ inches so you don't see a motion blur when you move your eyes around the screen. I've noticed this myself so I can understand what they mean. Hard to say exactly but imagine for a split second you're seeing the single frame rather than the continuous stream of video.

For some like myself it gives me a headache after a while seeing a color shift or frame stop when your eye tracks something else for a tiny bit.

Yes, the newest 3D LED LCDs claim 240 Hz refresh and the LG up and coming is claiming 480 Hz.
But if the 120 Hz monitors are telling you to set your Nvidea or ATI card at only 60 Hz then they are fooling us with so called interpolated sceens that estimate something to throw between two (real) sceens. This means that a minimum of 3 frames of lag to do the job. So Lest say we are talking about gameplay on the PC via DVI to HDMI. I can find nothing on the market over 60 Hz that is at least 32 inch LED/LCD/Plasma.
Nividia recomends Mitsubitshi for PC 3D. Again I went to the Mitsubitsi site and the manuals say 60Hz is what you set the video card at.

But for 3D to work they need 60 Hz for the left eye and 60 Hz for the right eye. (120 Hz) so why do the TV manuals say to set the PC for 60 Hz?

I'm amaized and feel I must be missing something. It would be nice to run PC games on a big display at a refresh greater than 75 Hz (my 17 inch 2004 LCD).
m
l
!