Sign in with
Your question

Home Media Streaming and Backup server?

Last response: in Components
Anonymous
March 1, 2011 1:49:38 AM

I need suggestions for a media streaming and backup server. I'm not sure what Kind of Hardware to use... I was looking at boards with the atom processor (Specifically D425 and D525) but most only have two SATA ports, and that is probably a bad thing considering this will be used for backups. Also most only have a PCI slot so I can't really get a SATA 3.0GB/s PCI card for extra slots. I'm going to re-rip my CD's with dB power amp into FLAC files, so I should save 50GB-500GB for that. Then system backups, etc. So I was thinking 1.5TB total or 1TB in raid 1? I don't know. If I can get the build under $350 I think that would be great. For backups, I was thinking of every month or two weeks.

Could you all give me some suggestions on Hardware? or tell me your setup if you have one?
Anonymous
March 1, 2011 9:26:21 PM

I was thinking of the 760g Chipset and the Athlon II 245 or Sempron 140. I might do a little bit of transcoding/encoding/etc. so the extra power would be nice. But I'm mostly concerned about keeping power usage LOW.

EDIT: I'm too cheap for WHS so I will running some linux distro.
Related resources
March 1, 2011 10:35:49 PM

the athlon 2 is more powerful than the sempron since the sempron is mono-core, and the extra power will be useful for transcoding, encoding ;) 
Anonymous
March 1, 2011 11:09:15 PM

^I know that much but like I said I was going for power then performance.
March 1, 2011 11:31:50 PM

than go with the sempron if u want to use less power, but it wont be as good for encoding, etc
Anonymous
March 2, 2011 12:51:14 AM

Couldn't I underclock and lower the voltage of the processor to reduce heat?
March 2, 2011 7:22:03 PM

yes u could,lower cpu voltage and lower clock speed would lower ur thermal temperature and run cooler
!