Newly build computer will not start

eborcam

Distinguished
Dec 3, 2010
I have just built a computer based off of the most recent $1000 marathon build (http://www.tomshardware.com/reviews/build-a-pc-overclock-components,2735.html). There are some alterations that I made based on the recent holiday sales and parts that I already have. The parts that are not brand new are the PSU and GPU although they both were working perfectly fine last night. These are the parts that I am currently using:

Motherboard - Asus P7P55D-E LX LGA 1156, Intel P55 chipset

CPU - Intel Core i5-760 Lynnfield 2.8GHz 8MB L3 Cache LGA 1156 95W Quad-Core Desktop Processor BX80605I5760

CPU Cooler - Stock

RAM - Crucial 4 GB (2 x 2 GB) 240-Pin DDR3 SDRAM DDR3-1333 Dual-Channel Desktop Memory Kit

GPU - nVidia GTX 280 BFG

Hard Drive - WD Caviar Black 640 GB 640 GB, 7200 RPM, 32 MB Cache SATA 3Gb/s

Case - Antec Three Hundred

PSU - COOLMAX CUG-950B 950W ATX12V v2.3 EPS12V v2.91 SLI Certified / CrossFire Ready Modular Active PFC and Compatible with Core i3/i5/i7 Power Supply

I have hooked everything up and when turn the power supply on the green LED on the mother board turns on. When I press the power button on the case nothing happens. After looking around the web I decided to bypass the power switch and short the two leads to see if the case's power switch was faulty. This did not produce a different result.

I am currently unsure if one of my components is DOA and needs to be returned or if my power supply has died. I do not consider myself an expert at this but I have built a similar build in the past and it worked without problems so I am fairly confident that I have connected all of the cables properly.

Any advice would be greatly appreciated. Thank you for your help in this matter.

Solution
Welcome, Newcomer. Have you worked through our standard troubleshooting checklist yet (link in my signature)? If not, please take some time to go through every applicable step. Also note the breadboarding guide by jsc, this will help you rule out case shorts.

good luck
Welcome, Newcomer. Have you worked through our standard troubleshooting checklist yet (link in my signature)? If not, please take some time to go through every applicable step. Also note the breadboarding guide by jsc, this will help you rule out case shorts.

good luck

Solution
You're probably not going to want to read this, but you really should. Its the middle page of a review of your psu by a respected reviewer:

http://www.jonnyguru.com/modules.php?name=NDReviews&op=Story2&reid=106

I believe his bottom line is don't take it over 600W.

But it should have enough power to boot. [strike]I mention the review only to advise if you get a chance to return/exchange this unit, it wouldn't be a bad idea.[/strike] I misread your post - this psu is not new, so it moves up the list as a potential cause for your problem.

eborcam

Distinguished
Dec 3, 2010
It is the PSU. After a successful breadboard without hard disk or optical I reinstalled all of the components into the case and the system failed to boot with them added. Thank you for the help.