Sign in with
Your question

Geforce 9800GT audio through HDMI

Last response: in Graphics & Displays
October 9, 2010 1:57:17 PM

Hi,

I have just got a new computer with a MSI MS-7633 mobo, I have connected it up to a LCD tv which also acts as my monitor. It had an onboard graphics chipset so I wanted to transfer my old 9800GT to it and i want to connect it to my monitor through HMDI.

When I installed the card I didnt need to diasable the onboard graphics as it automatically recognised the 9800gt. However, I don't get audio through the HDMI lead from my 9800gt to my monitor. If I use VGA, the sound works fine though!

The 9800gt comes with two leads (red and black) which I assume are for the audio but I have no idea where to connect them! Unfortunately the mobo dint come with a manual so I can't look it up.

Does anyone have any suggestions (if possible) that I can play audio through my HDMI lead?

If not possible any suggestions for a graphics card (ATI or Nvidia) that can play audio straight through the HDMI lead?

Many thanks!!!!!
a c 1307 U Graphics card
a c 94 C Monitor
October 9, 2010 2:43:24 PM

There should be a connector for the sound on the motherboard that you can connect into the card. If the number MS7633 is correct I can not find that board on MSI´s site, is it an OEM computer?
Manuals are usually in the download section at the manufacturers website.
October 9, 2010 2:56:31 PM

rolli59 said:
There should be a connector for the sound on the motherboard that you can connect into the card. If the number MS7633 is correct I can not find that board on MSI´s site, is it an OEM computer?
Manuals are usually in the download section at the manufacturers website.

Hi,

thanks for the reply,

it is a medion computer and on the mobo it says MS-7633 Ver2.0 so im assuming it is a MSI mobo.

would there be any small writing on the mobo near the ports i need to plug the cables in?
Related resources
a c 1307 U Graphics card
a c 94 C Monitor
October 9, 2010 3:15:14 PM

Usually there is small writing on it. Which CPU is it and what is the chipset? Sometimes we can find a similar retail board with the same connection.
October 9, 2010 3:23:24 PM

rolli59 said:
Usually there is small writing on it. Which CPU is it and what is the chipset? Sometimes we can find a similar retail board with the same connection.

http://img515.imageshack.us/img515/6881/19066555.png

this is what I see when I type 'dxdiag' into run.

Hope this has the info :) 

thanks
a c 271 U Graphics card
a b C Monitor
October 9, 2010 3:35:56 PM

Look for some pins on the motherboard marked as SPIDF and connect them to the SPIDF connector on the graphic card.
October 9, 2010 3:46:51 PM

Mousemonkey said:
Look for some pins on the motherboard marked as SPIDF and connect them to the SPIDF connector on the graphic card.

Hi,

I have found the SPDIF adapter on the mobo they are arranged :

... .

The 4th one on the top row is not there. I presumes the red and black wire coming out of the graphics card plug into them but i dont know which ones as there are 9 pins and only two leads off the 9800gt
a c 271 U Graphics card
a b C Monitor
October 9, 2010 4:00:06 PM

You probably two connection points there one above the other and yo only need a + and - for the card but you are going to need a manual to find out which is what, you could just experiment though as there is no power running through those pins just sound.
October 9, 2010 4:29:22 PM

Mousemonkey said:
You probably two connection points there one above the other and yo only need a + and - for the card but you are going to need a manual to find out which is what, you could just experiment though as there is no power running through those pins just sound.

ok will try them in different orders.

just by the way, is there any graphics card that u can just plug in the hdmi and audio comes through that?
a c 271 U Graphics card
a b C Monitor
October 9, 2010 4:35:57 PM

The ATi cards since the 2xxx series have had that capability IIRC but the Nvidia cards didn't get the capability until the 40nm models i.e GT210 onwards.
October 9, 2010 4:39:29 PM

Mousemonkey said:
The ATi cards since the 2xxx series have had that capability IIRC but the Nvidia cards didn't get the capability until the 40nm models i.e GT210 onwards.

Oh so nvidia have been playing catch up in that respect!

the 9800gt is getting a little bit old so i may just upgrade to an ati if this is easier to get the sound thru the hdmi lead.

Would i even be able to put an ati card in my pc? and in terms of performance which ati card would be better than a 9800gt (i dont wana a super amazing card) just something that is an improvement over the 9800gt
a c 271 U Graphics card
a b C Monitor
October 9, 2010 4:41:58 PM

Anything from the HD4770 onwards would be faster and give you audio over HDMI.
October 9, 2010 5:00:20 PM

Mousemonkey said:
Anything from the HD4770 onwards would be faster and give you audio over HDMI.

Ok i might just buy an ati card as I cant seem to get the audio lol! just one of those annoying things i guess!

Just one more question, will an ati card be fine in my mobo? just install it in and install drivers?

thanks for your help!!!
a c 271 U Graphics card
a b C Monitor
October 9, 2010 5:05:47 PM

Yes, just uninstall the Nvidia drivers first then remove the Nvidia card, fit the ATi card and download and install the latest drivers and you should be good to go.
October 9, 2010 5:20:02 PM

Mousemonkey said:
Yes, just uninstall the Nvidia drivers first then remove the Nvidia card, fit the ATi card and download and install the latest drivers and you should be good to go.

Awesome. I'm off to check out the ati range and the prices then!

Thanks!!!!!
!